Buggeration

Reaction score
Can I ask why it was done Mike,I haven't seen a full explanation sadly...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Students fenced in, the army on the streets in Liverpool . What is happening to our democracy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Soldiers are to help with Covid testing, They are are staying at pontins Ainsdale as far as I am aware.
The Uni has apologized for fencing students in .

mikench

Reaction score
The fencing has been pulled down this afternoon. I hope the moron who made the decision to erect it is hung out to dry.

Reaction score
But why was it erected in the first place,what reasons were given?

xenon

Reaction score
As I read it in various papers the authorities put them up to ensure social distancing-i.e. no unauthorised parties etc.

rayner

Reaction score
Students have been told by their University if they defer their degrees for a year then they need to find another University when they return.
This comes from my daughter.

davebhoy

Reaction score
This isn’t exactly an easy time for universities. It’s already an extremely competitive market and they only receive 20% of their income from government grants. 20% of their students come from overseas, virtually none are coming this year. Students deferring, it all adds up

my best friend is a lecturer a university. Higher education is very different to when I was there, it’s a highly competitive industry which employs 200,000 odd people. It’s subject to most of the market forces other industries are. They’ve been very hard hit by the pandemic, it’s likely to affect them for a while yet

my mrs worked for the largest private student accommodation provider, her contract wasn’t renewed at the end of June and she’s hardly had any work since. She earned too much to qualify for any government help

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Students fenced in, the army on the streets in Liverpool . What is happening to our democracy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weren’t the fences to stop non-students from coming in? The students could still come and go as they pleased couldn’t they? I do agree that If the students were asked what they thought of erecting a protective fence to keep out non-students before hand instead of them waking up to having the fence there it would have been a lot better.

The army were called in to help with all of the extra Covid testing going on in Liverpool, so what is the problem? They are just there to help.

Keith

Last edited:

fred hall

Reaction score
For the first time since I was about 6 years old I am NOT thinking about my next fishing trip. May confirm that I am truly weird but at the moment I am just not comfortable with it. There seems to be so much at stake here - sure me not going fishing will not make a jot of difference to Coronavirus but that's where I am.

Krang

Reaction score
This isn’t exactly an easy time for universities. It’s already an extremely competitive market and they only receive 20% of their income from government grants. 20% of their students come from overseas, virtually none are coming this year. Students deferring, it all adds up

my best friend is a lecturer a university. Higher education is very different to when I was there, it’s a highly competitive industry which employs 200,000 odd people. It’s subject to most of the market forces other industries are. They’ve been very hard hit by the pandemic, it’s likely to affect them for a while yet

my mrs worked for the largest private student accommodation provider, her contract wasn’t renewed at the end of June and she’s hardly had any work since. She earned too much to qualify for any government help
Its hard for a lot of other things too though. How many pubs and hotels, even airlines are going to go bankrupt because of this? Why should universities be allowed to create a public menace just to balance their books?

Reaction score
Airlines will go bankrupt like many businesses through paying dividends to shareholders and not keeping some back for bad times,I know that's how business functions,but most normal people try to keep some dosh aside for a rainy day(if at all possible anyway),how much money have the airlines made in the good times,countless billions,zillions probably,but nine months lean time and they are pleading poverty,for me our publicans need more help,they were struggling before covid..

davebhoy

Reaction score
Its hard for a lot of other things too though. How many pubs and hotels, even airlines are going to go bankrupt because of this? Why should universities be allowed to create a public menace just to balance their books?

Because the government have prioritized education.

You’re angry with the wrong people. The government decided that they would rather reopen schools and further and higher education and spread the virus among people at low risk of being badly affected than open up different parts of society and relax restrictions for industries that aren’t seen as being as essential.

A lot of courses don’t work with remote learning and we don’t know how long it will be before we’ll have a population that is vaccinated against the virus. Send the students home now and who knows how long it will be before they’re back.

a whole year without third-tier education would be disastrous for the economy. You only have to look at how countries around the world are dealing with it to see that the government and universities’ response here isn’t unique.

at my niece’s university they have their own testing facility. She and all her bubble in halls of residence have had it, weren’t unwell, and were tested and were able to isolate quickly and, hopefully, effectively.

davebhoy

Reaction score
Its more complicated, of course, but how would we feel if golfers were angry with us when they saw us fishing? Or society called us irresponsible for fishing when everyone else is prohibited from doing things that they consider to be just as safe?

steve2

Reaction score
Its more complicated, of course, but how would we feel if golfers were angry with us when they saw us fishing? Or society called us irresponsible for fishing when everyone else is prohibited from doing things that they consider to be just as safe?

No Remembrance Day parades on safety grounds but hi ho we can still go fishing.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I wonder what the outrage was a 100 years ago ?
46513bb614806c9b5670ac543eb11a98.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
No Remembrance Day parades on safety grounds but hi ho we can still go fishing.
That juxtaposition is entirely practical and understandable. None of us have to do either. I fished yesterday and was at least 50 metres away from the nearest angler. I didn't pass a soul from car park to peg and vice versa. How can you compare that with hundreds or thousands of the most vulnerable stood side by side . The merits of either pursuit are irrelevant. In addition officially sanctioned crowds do not send out the right message in a lockdown no matter how noble the cause.

Krang

Reaction score
Because the government have prioritized education.

You’re angry with the wrong people. The government decided that they would rather reopen schools and further and higher education and spread the virus among people at low risk of being badly affected than open up different parts of society and relax restrictions for industries that aren’t seen as being as essential.

A lot of courses don’t work with remote learning and we don’t know how long it will be before we’ll have a population that is vaccinated against the virus. Send the students home now and who knows how long it will be before they’re back.

a whole year without third-tier education would be disastrous for the economy. You only have to look at how countries around the world are dealing with it to see that the government and universities’ response here isn’t unique.

at my niece’s university they have their own testing facility. She and all her bubble in halls of residence have had it, weren’t unwell, and were tested and were able to isolate quickly and, hopefully, effectively.
Putting people in halls to study online courses doesn't help education. In cases where practical work is needed ,obviously those students need to be on campus, but the majority don't and are just there to pay rent. Nobody is talking about a year without education, but doing it in a covid secure way, and that doesn't include filling halls with students. Fact is, the virus is spreading more because they have done this. People are dying so universities can get their rent.

Airlines will go bankrupt like many businesses through paying dividends to shareholders and not keeping some back for bad times,I know that's how business functions,but most normal people try to keep some dosh aside for a rainy day(if at all possible anyway),how much money have the airlines made in the good times,countless billions,zillions probably,but nine months lean time and they are pleading poverty,for me our publicans need more help,they were struggling before covid..
Most universities have good cash reserves. Most wouldn't go bust if they lost a years rent. Only the weakest institutions are at risk. So the only "good" that we'll see from the lives lost is the preservation on universities that were struggling before covid because they're crap and nobody wants to go there.

Surely nobody can seriously suggest that these institutions receiving a years rent from full halls is some sort of imperative social good and worth the cost in lives of increased virus spread?

Last edited: