Your best or worst bodge job? Or any job.

john step

Reaction score
That looks somewhat more modern than my first "proper" hand me down rod. The top ring looks suspiciously not original though. I should ask for your money back.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That looks somewhat more modern than my first "proper" hand me down rod. The top ring looks suspiciously not original though. I should ask for your money back.
The top ring is ceramic of some description which I thought I might keep as it may be original and looks not damaged, the other rings are stand off wire jobs which might be original that need replacing, I can buy them. The wood of the rod I don't know, it is not split cane as far as I can make out so far, maybe when I strip down the other sections but I am guessing this is pre split cane, maybe greenheart or ash. It had several layers of varnish all over everything so I thought it must be old. hey, its a bit of fun, interesting in it's own way and it is giving me something to do, if it gets hashed up I can always turn into floats.:)

john step

Reaction score
It may as you say be greenheart. My first handmedown rod was a greenheart 12 ft salmon fly rod which as a 9 or 10 year old I thought was the bees knees. On reflection it was a tad slow at connecting with bites not that I had many. The grayling float and large hook may just have put the fish off!

Up until I have never questioned what greenheart was. I am now going to play Google.

Apparently a Sth American hardwood.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It may as you say be greenheart. My first handmedown rod was a greenheart 12 ft salmon fly rod which as a 9 or 10 year old I thought was the bees knees. On reflection it was a tad slow at connecting with bites not that I had many. The grayling float and large hook may just have put the fish off!

Up until I have never questioned what greenheart was. I am now going to play Google.

Apparently a Sth American hardwood.
Just looked at a picture myself, looks the same colour as greenheart to me. I plan to get this all done as near as possible as original, may attempt to replace the cork but not sure yet, venturing into the unknown. And then try fishing it for one day, I like to at least to try them once just to see what they are like and then auction it, probably with a wicker fishing creel I have and a few other bits of the same era as a sort of era pastiche. With the proceeds buy a new float...:)

Wakou

Reaction score
He is (@john step) is NOT the only one! I am fascinated and intrigued! With love and care and expertise, and skill and time.... It might still not be a great rod, by today's standards.. But it will be a thing of beauty. A work of history and art! Please continue to share...

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
For goodness sake! Don't encourage him! He'll want to work on the BBC Repair Shop next!
Too late, I am on an unstoppable roll now. I am a long way along the road of long hidden undiscovered talent, I will acknowledge my work does need some fine tuning and then lucrative TV work beckons.

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
Circa 1984 I brought a Bob Church FT pike rod it was the first rod I had purchased fitted with an abbreviated handle. it was ideal rod for casting a big lead and small bait normally a smelt
It had a black blank, with black whippings and silver tippings. The finish was very glossy so I decided to matt varnish the rod. What I should have realised is that the silver tippings were painted when I applied the varnish the silver paint run, the result the mother of botch jobs. It was a decent rod but as it looked awful I got shot of it shortly after and purchased my first carbon pike rod namely a Tricast 2.75tc 12ft rod.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have been saving this one, my killer lure range. Matching rods, floats and lures, I am way ahead of my time and wasted on here..
Artificail my prawn.jpg

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
And no I am not saying what it is, bunch of no hopers, filling a net with 5 roach (if your lucky), using floats that fish can see from miles away, reels you cant cast with and rods that break at a glance, not a clue, your not worthy. I might give some advice to my old heart surgeon instead, I wonder if he has thought of using my methods, that would save the NHS a few bob. Bit of fishing line, some super glue and a bit of paint, be good as new. Imaging what it might do for a flagging old todger as well, now there's a thought for Mark:)....Anon.

only joking-:)

Last edited: