angling trust statement

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Will the trust clarify local Simon,I know it sounds silly,but someone has too,for the sake of a legal standpoint,let alone a health one...

Exactly, it is ridiculous for the Trust make such and open ended statement.

They need to define "local" as being within (x) miles of one's home address otherwise "local" becomes meaningless and impossible to enforce.

ian g

Reaction score
This is the problem , I know we have already had anglers travelling from Cheshire/Staffordshire which were both in the old tier 4 to fish in Shropshire which was tier 3 so by those rules it wasn't permitted. I don't want a ban but at least you knew were you stood , this would leave it open to people taking the p**s

seth49

Reaction score
AD3480E4-B7B0-41B6-9336-4E0BF932BF57.jpeg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
- The exercise is limited to once a day so no overnight fishing whatsoever.
- To remain within the law you should follow the government’s guidance, and only fish locally within the district where you live. If you have no local fishing available then you will have to take your daily exercise in other ways.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just got off the phone to my sister and she thinks she has got over the covid, she was very ill at one point but not hospitalized. She is NHS worker, not front line and she thinks she's going back to work on Monday, bloody hell, what a girl. She thinks the fact she has been taking a lot of vitamin C and D has helped her immune system-take note; but she said the struggling for oxygen was the worst part. She really emphasized to me that no one would want this, she was considering herself dying at one point..
Regarding the nurses she said what they will want is a bloody good holiday and a break after this and we should all chip in and pay for them to have one, I am all for that.

TreborM

Reaction score
Good to read of people pulling through MarkG
Not good to hear people going through the law with a tooth comb, trying to find a way to fish. I read a lot of slating of the goverment and how stupid they are strikes me anglers are just as bad.

Molehill

Reaction score
Fair enough.
Now the long debate on what constitutes local :unsure:.
I will still be interested to see how some landowners respond to this when anglers start arriving - or possibly clubs may have to approach each one individually for confirmation?

rayner

Reaction score
Aston Park is closed until further notice, they are doing click and collect and call and collect. I thought that click and collect were banned.
Kiveton Waters is also closed.

Reaction score
I think that is what is going to happen,the clubs cannot be seen to be penalising anglers living further than x distance,they might then be open to claims for part refunds of subscriptions....

rayner

Reaction score
You can't blame clubs for sticking to Government regulations, people know the state of things. Tell them all refunds should be paid by Boris. He seems to be the top target for some.

Molehill

Reaction score
If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live – and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall. The list of reasons you can leave your home and area include, but are not limited to:

• outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
The implication is very short distances and no excuse for driving miles into the countryside. See how that is interpreted by all - differently I suspect!

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Here is my view (just in case anyone GAS):

I am glad that people who can walk to the bank, or wet a line on their own land, now have clarity. I am also glad that, if infection rates in my local area fall significantly, I have the option of going fishing, without waiting for a major improvement across the entire country. By that time, I may feel so cooped up that casting a pike fly may be the only way of maintaining my sanity.

That would really be no more risky than taking a socially distanced walk with a friend from another household. I have already told Mrs. C that I uphold her right to walk with a friend, should the long winter nights and drab days of the third lockdown, eventually drive her to loath the sight of me. She went this afternoon............

On the other hand, I'm a big old scaredy-cat and therefore intend to stay in, as much as possible, for the foreseeable future.

However, I believe the Angling Trust has done a good job, so I'm off to join them, now.

John Aston

Reaction score
I will be using my own judgement and common sense. I will fish locally , but not on the water which is 50 yards away , as that gets a lot of walkers ,. I'm lucky to have good river fishing a short (5mile ) drive away, in the middle of nowhere. In theory, yes my car might break down , but in 50 years I have 'failed to proceed ' only twice in my normal car (but don't ask about the sports cars )over 750k miles , which I consider acceptable odds . My car does 50mpg and has a full tank so I am happy to fish in moderation. I might change my name to Dominic though, and then I could fish on far distant waters with a clear conscience .

I am delight to read of anther AT recruit , even though I continue to be disappointed by the sheer apathy of many anglers in doing anything for their sport

Reaction score
On faceache loads of anglers are thanking the trust,I wonder how many have water within the radius....

steve2

Reaction score
I wasn’t going to respond to this move by the AT but I for I am totally disgusted by their attitude and anglers response to this virus and shall never again join the AT. I have no wish to remain a member on a website where people don’t give a damn about others just their own selfish self centered attitude.

I have now lost 2 people to this virus and have others with it, this is not a joke virus it is a killer. Hopefully those putting hook a fish ahead of their health will catch it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I actually have some level of unease that the AT have persued this. However, it's done and they've got angling okayed. Now I'm a little uneasy about the lack of definition of what local might actually mean. The tightest description I've seen attributed to government sources is that you shouldn't be travelling outside of your village or town/city area (i.e. if you are from the Cowley part of Oxford, Cowley is your limit). Other sources are talking about local council areas or postcode areas. Whilst it remains undefined, people are going to go as far as they think that they can get away with. I'm not remotely comfortable with that.

However, today I travelled to my closest supermarket. It's the first time I've been out in the car since the new lockdown. Just from seeing the car park for my village nature walk, it's patent that the harsher of interpretations are not being adhered to. Almost no one in the parish would need to drive and park. The full car park makes it quite plain that people from outside the village and wider parish are travelling to exercise here.

I'll probably not be going fishing any time soon. However, that's mainly because I'm going to have trouble getting bait. What people choose to do is their business, provided they stick to the rules. I'm still not remotely convinced that a lone angler, travelling no further than their local supermarket, is going to cause a problem for themselves or anyone else.

TreborM

Reaction score
This is like Brexit all over again the trust driving a wedge thru the comunitey, those that put safety before personal pleasere and those that say Im alrite Jack brigade

There are people that have slagged off goverment all along and have no trust in them but now trust them because they can go fishing

Got no truck with those that will get depresed if they cant go fishing there will be an increase in depression not from fisherman but from nurses and doctors who for a year now have faced hell daily. and bus drivers, shop workers, Nhs people that get abuse from the rude, selfish morons in our soceity every working day