barbel on the pole

• Thread starter DANNY BOY SMITH
  • Start date

fishy pete

Reaction score
right weathers s***t,theres no anglers on me lakes,i've done all my paperwork so i'm of to the pub for somert to eat and a pint. speak later mate will call you!

CAT

Reaction score
Now then, how you doing Marshall, long time no see, when you coming fishing again mate.

marshall mathers

Reaction score
soon Cat mate,
just got to get straight from xmas, then im baggin up on bait stocks n leavin our lass for a few days. cos she's doin my head in!

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

now thats not nice mather or can i call you john now you b*t$h.

melvyn britcliffe

Reaction score
barbel on the pole in lakes may be on in rivers no way have u ever thouht what u are doing u snag a fish it breaks u in the snag with elastice and your line one dead barbel . i am not having a go i just think its wrong if u are going to fish for barbel us the right tackle a pole is not the answer to every fishing situation .and i feel i can say this after fishing for 34 years on both sides of the fence

E

EC

Melvin, if you use balanced tackle, the elastic will not break, the hooklength might do however.

G

Grant Lever

with regard to barbel on pole,if the hook, line,elastic ,and pole are up to it the fish will apply it,s own pressure and tire itself out,far quicker than some of the nerds you see.as regards how long you should play a fish,all fish have a central core of "red" muscle that is only used to flee from danger,and an outer layer of white muscle that is used for day to day swimming about,the ratio varies with different species.after prolonged use of red muscle the build up of lactic acid causes a breakdown in functions ,mainly breathing.therefore the sooner the fish is landed the better.

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

this is were a pole can beet other methods hands down!
(if used in the correct manner)

CAT

Reaction score
In the Mind of a Shuffler but not in the mind of an Angler.

P

Percy Perch

having fished the don the other week i came across 2 men pole fishing for barbel one had 4 .The biggest was seven pound two onces the other had three the biggest was just shy of eight pound .They said the barbel came in in less than six minutes,
.I myself fished with rod and line and went home cold and deflated ..o well of to bennets to look at poles. dany boy smith musy have a point

P

Percy Perch

didnt relize that it was more important to bring the fish in as quickly as possible i thought the idea of fishing was the sport and care and respect of the fish,just think A.T.next isue will have size of barbel and minutes and seconds it took to land,we could make it a sport in its self but who's to time you

N

Neil Blood

6 minutes is not a long time. What is important is that the fish is given time to fully recover and that it swims off strongly!

When I used to employ this method for Barbel, I'd estimate that most fish were landed inside of this time.

Neil

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

well said ! its not how its played its what happens after!
if you take time to care for your captive when landed and release it and it swims of to fight another day you can sit back and enjoy the moments knowing you just landed a barbel on a long peace of carbon! without it desintegrating into a thousand tiny peaces but then again you wouldn't be using it if it wasn't up to the job would you!!!