Center Pin magic ..or is it ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Another question for you "pinners"

When putting line onto the reel or when fishing with it do you have to move the line back and forth across the reel same as a multiplier? Surely when you are reeling in the line will build up in one place?

On first spooling up, I make some attempt to get the line to lay reasonably even. Nothing too extreme though. In use on flowing water, I usually find that the line builds up to one side or the other, depending on the direction of the flow of the river. I've never found this to be a big issue. I can't imagine it being a problem unless you attempt to load 100+ yards of line.

mikench

Reaction score
I assume most pin fans have 4.5 inch pins rather than 6 inch. Does the bigger pin offer any advantages. I must confess from everything I have read a FS reel appears far more straightforward!:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I assume most pin fans have 4.5 inch pins rather than 6 inch. Does the bigger pin offer any advantages. I must confess from everything I have read a FS reel appears far more straightforward!:)

The bigger the pin diameter the more line is retrieved per revolution which makes a larger diameter reel quicker on the retrieve.

That's my only gripe about my Bewick...its not much over 4" diameter which makes it quite a slow reel. I put up with that even though it does niggle a bit...others wouldn't.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

You can get large reels with low line lay which is only any use if you want loads of line on it, maybe for sea fishing on a boat etc.
On the other hand you can get smaller reels with high set line lay which increases the speed of retrieve. I have reels as small as 4 inch and others going up to 4 3/4 inch diameter, all having quite high line lay. For me a 4 1/2 inch drum with the line lay quite high is my favourite all round reel.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Is the diameter of a pin measured from the outside edge or the bit that the line goes on?

Outside edge...the "bit the line goes on " is the arbor. A large diameter reel with a small arbor is kind of self-defeating. The best [?] combination is a large/largish diameter reel with a large arbor...in other words a reel that's not too "deep".

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've yet to encounter a centre pin intended for coarse fishing that's over five inches in diameter. Five inch reels are pretty thin on the ground. The reels I actually use are 4.5 and 5 inch. However, the arbour depth means that the three different reels have a pretty similar effective diameter. My experience has been that shallow arbours are a bit more problematical when it gets a little breezy. Now I have worked out my preferences, I won't be buying any reel of less than 4.5 inches. I'd also avoid a 4.5 with a stupidly deep arbour.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've yet to encounter a centre pin intended for coarse fishing that's over five inches in diameter.

I think Leeds do some big muther fookers and there are several others but since i've never been interested in large reels the makes and names have gone into my none retaining brain cells lol.

The fishing coach

Reaction score

thecrow

Reaction score
This was the only large pin (see how I am getting the lingo :D ) I could find on the net its on e bay buti don't know how to put a link up, this is what the spiel says about it.

THIS REEL MADE BY LANDA IS THE SHADOW LANDA AVERY LARGE 6inch FREE RUNNING DOUBLE CLUTCH REEL ,IDEAL FOR TROTTING OR TO USE FOR CARP FOR CLOSE IN ACTION ,COMES WITH BOX CAN NOT SEE ANY SIGNS OF USE

robtherake

Reaction score
I think Leeds do some big muther fookers and there are several others but since i've never been interested in large reels the makes and names have gone into my none retaining brain cells lol.

I have a 5 1/2" Leeds reel, Ian. It's a mite industrial compared to most pins and a few ounces heavier than my TFG Classic, but line release is smooth enough and could potentially be a fair bit better if I could be bothered to fettle it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 5 1/2" Leeds reel, Ian. It's a mite industrial compared to most pins and a few ounces heavier than my TFG Classic, but line release is smooth enough and could potentially be a fair bit better if I could be bothered to fettle it.

I believe they're decent reels to use, i'm sure i've seen the leeds reels at 6 inches :eek:....only 3 1/2inch shorter than my best m8 :D.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

There you go Graham - pm me for the PO box number for the large brown envelope.........
Fleabay reel

A nice reel to load with fools gold :w.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I've yet to encounter a centre pin intended for coarse fishing that's over five inches in diameter. Five inch reels are pretty thin on the ground. The reels I actually use are 4.5 and 5 inch. However, the arbour depth means that the three different reels have a pretty similar effective diameter. My experience has been that shallow arbours are a bit more problematical when it gets a little breezy. Now I have worked out my preferences, I won't be buying any reel of less than 4.5 inches. I'd also avoid a 4.5 with a stupidly deep arbour.

Yeah.. .. I'd go along with all that. 4.5" with a shallow/large arbour is about as close to "best" as it gets. Personally I wouldn't want anything bigger and I put up with my smaller Bewick because it is so beautifully light and matches my rods so well. I don't like narrow drummed reels very much either....probably why my Sheffield doesn't get out as much as it should.

thecrow

Reaction score
Well the Marco Cortesi was delivered today, unwrapped it opened the box and......................................... it fell to bits :eek: a screw that holds part of the ratchet system in place was missing and the ratchet spring along with a couple of other bits was in the bottom of the box.

To be frank I wasn't impressed with the overall quality of the thing anyway, there was some slight play in the bearing and there was a slight buckle on the plate that has the handles on, the screws that were there looked as if they had been put in wonky :D it just looked tacky.

I took it back to the dealer in person after speaking to him on the phone, fair play to him he gave me an immediate refund but did say they had sold lots and mine was the first one returned.

Just ordered a TF Gear classic without the line guard as if I find I need one I can order it in the future, paid £61-99 including postage that was other than some ex demo ones the cheapest I could find.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well the Marco Cortesi was delivered today, unwrapped it opened the box and......................................... it fell to bits :eek: a screw that holds part of the ratchet system in place was missing and the ratchet spring along with a couple of other bits was in the bottom of the box.

To be frank I wasn't impressed with the overall quality of the thing anyway, there was some slight play in the bearing and there was a slight buckle on the plate that has the handles on, the screws that were there looked as if they had been put in wonky :D it just looked tacky.

I took it back to the dealer in person after speaking to him on the phone, fair play to him he gave me an immediate refund but did say they had sold lots and mine was the first one returned.

Just ordered a TF Gear classic without the line guard as if I find I need one I can order it in the future, paid £61-99 including postage that was other than some ex demo ones the cheapest I could find.

Well, what can I say..............I told you so :wh.

In all honesty the TFG should be sound enough but if not, send it back and get the okuma pro....imo the best reel for value available!