Center Pin magic ..or is it ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You did and I should have listened to you and the others, still we live and learn :D

We do indeed ...and even if the reel had been OK I'm convinced you'd have ended up getting a better one eventually. I don't know the TFG reel but I've not heard anyone who's got one say anything but nice things about them.

greenie62

Reaction score
There you go Graham - pm me for the PO box number for the large brown envelope.........
Fleabay reel

s-l500.jpg

This reel seems to be identical to my 'pin which is a Grandeslam Dutchesse - cost under £20 a couple of years ago.
Just measured it (the reel:rolleyes:) - barely scrapes 5" and is 3.5" diam across pillars. Don't know how they managed to sell it as being 6" - it feels bigger though!:eek:

It spins OK and can cope with trotting fine - but really comes into it's own for margin carping - where you can use a rest for taking the weight - and the noise of the ratchet will wake everyone on the pool! :eek:

A reasonable reel for trying out a cheap 'pin whilst you make your mind up - at £20! Don't spend much more than this though - unless you've already made your mind up!

mikench

Reaction score
Santa cannot find the Okuma aventa pro anywhere so will look for either a Sheffield or the TFG

lutra

Reaction score
While this thread is still active, anyone got or used the Ray Walton "rolling" pin?
I was looking at Fosters site and would be interested in any thoughts on it's casting ability.

J.W. Young Ray Walton Rolling Pin

Ian

I would think probably just about the best design of reel there is for twisting your line up.

Learn to Wallis cast, it's no magic art, its a bit like learning to ride a bike. Just takes a bit of practice and you will soon be on it.

seth49

Reaction score
While this thread is still active, anyone got or used the Ray Walton "rolling" pin?
I was looking at Fosters site and would be interested in any thoughts on it's casting ability.

Ian

I have one but haven't got round to using it yet, it's well made and should work fine.
What I do use quite a lot is a Shakespeare Lincoln which is a side caster as well,exactly same principle but a lot cheaper, think I paid forty pound for mine.

Only thing that would improve it for me would be a ratchet, it has a drag instead, I've had salmon to over sixteen pounds on it so it will handle good sized fish.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Ian

3.75 in diameter ? Too small, wildly overpriced and the line twist problem is a known issue. To be fair this is not designed to be used as a trotting reel. It's a nice idea but the words " barge" and "pole" spring to mind.

fishface1

Reaction score
What make and type of centre pin is that please?

Mr Nch,

It's the black zero one mentioned earlier in the thread. I bought it on a flash sale in the summer, but had it's first outing yesterday.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

So does a crab line :w

Agreed, but I find it hard to get the single maggot to look quite as natural on orange cord.