Center Pin magic ..or is it ?

thecrow

Reaction score
The TF Gear classic arrived today, the difference in quality to the cortesi is very obvious but! it arrived very poorly packed, in fact it was just in box in a jiffy bag and knowing the way stuff gets thrown around in transit I expected more, the reel was from Fishtec.

There is in the centre of the reel there is a knurled button that according to what I have read on the web allows the spool to be removed and also can be used to slow the reel down, nothing came with the reel explaining this so I have no idea of how it works, anyone?

sam vimes

Reaction score
There is in the centre of the reel there is a knurled button that according to what I have read on the web allows the spool to be removed and also can be used to slow the reel down, nothing came with the reel explaining this so I have no idea of how it works, anyone?

I very much doubt that the locking nut is intended as a device to slow the reel down. However, that doesn't mean that it won't do so. All of the suggestions that it works that way appear to have come from one main source. The fella concerned has posted about it on several forums and in the following review. Be wary of this, if the nut has to be slackened significantly to achieve reasonable spin rates, then there may be something wrong.

thecrow

Reaction score
The reel spins remarkably freely with the nut tightened down so there are no problems there the spool can be removed by undoing the nut, I cant get the spool to "stiffen up" by using the nut but I am not bothered by that, overall I am very pleased that I swapped and paid a little more for a much better tool.

I know Nathan ( the chap who's blog had the review in it ) he is a very good angler and his blog is well worth subscribing to, its one of only 3 that I read regularly. there is some promoting of Lone Angler on there which is to be expected as Nathan is sponsored by them.

Thanks for your reply Sam

mikench

Reaction score
Did you buy a line guard with the reel? I suppose you now have to decide which line and whether to spool from the top or the bottom! Decisions decisions. Please let us know how you get on with it mr Crow!;)

B

binka

Pleased you got the reel sorted Graham, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Had a rummage around in the garage this afternoon and your rod's ready complete with bag & tube... Should make a nice pairing :)

thecrow

Reaction score
Pleased you got the reel sorted Graham, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Had a rummage around in the garage this afternoon and your rod's ready complete with bag & tube... Should make a nice pairing :)[/QUOTE

After our phone conversation i felt quite emotional because of your fantastic offer, i have a reputation as a miserable old sod to keep up maybe that's not really me :D thanks again Steve.

robertroach

Reaction score
Crow, I bought one of these recently. The nut in the middle had no effect whatsoever on the freerunningness of the drum, I guess that's why there are no instructions about it with the reel.

One thing to watch for - the ratchet spring broke after not much use. Very poor engineering in my opinion, and the only negative thing about what has otherwise been a brilliant reel. However some others have not had this problem
so hopefully you will be lucky.

robertroach

Reaction score
I got 2 replacement springs sent from Fishtec. One was immediately unuseable because it was misshapen. I tried to bend it so it would fit but still doesn't work very well. The next one seems OK but the engineering is so poor I'm not very confident.

They could easily design and make something a little more robust, it's not rocket science. They need to!

thecrow

Reaction score
One thing to watch for - the ratchet spring broke after not much use.

Mmm since seeing your post I have read a few reviews where this has been a problem, rest assured that if it does break after not much use the reel will be returned for a refund it not being fit for purpose, I will not repair something myself that has broken because of poor design/quality anyway time will tell hoping to get out Friday and use it for the first time.