Centrepins

W

Wilson Marshall

Sorry alan i am of the opinion that casting beyond 20 feet is a bit of an effort with a centrepin,it can be done but nowhere near as comfortable as with a fixed spool.You may be an expert but the casualfisherman wants to trot big rivers without any effort.Sad but true.

R

Richard Drayson

I understand what you're saying Wilson, but I don't agree with you.
Centrepins are THE tool for trotting big rivers without any effort. Casting IS effortless if you take the time to learn how to do it properly.
Sadly, too few anglers are either willing or able to make the effort, but once mastered, the 'pin is delightful to use.
Mind you, judging by the number of adverts for them in the angling press, someone must be buying them.

S

Shrek

Just have to say thanks for all the tuition on this thread. I went out on the Warwickshire Avon yesterday in the torrential rain and, after a little hiccup, was wallis casting brilliantly, well in my book anyway. I completely blanked, but just the accomplishment of doing this was more than enough.

Thanks guys.

A

R

Rodney Wrestt

Well done Adrian, you've picked it up just in time for the rivers to hit their peak with some water on and hopefully lots of fish going through.

R

Richard Drayson

I remember feeling exactly the same Adrian.
I'm not brilliant at casting and still get the odd tangle but the pure enjoyment that comes with using a 'pin more than makes up for that.

Dave swan

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Bruce& walker Ray Walton Rolling Pin in its own wooden box un used that I am looking to sell

Red6

Reaction score
Whilst I accept that the primary purposeof this thread is to discuss 'true pin' reels, there has been some mention of bearing type reels, however I can find no reference to the Okuma Aventa, which for £80 is an excellent entry level reel.

I can concur that turning the rod through 90 degrees and thereby laying the reel on it's back is the most comfortable method as it allows you to support the reel using the four fingers of the rod hand, whilst still leaving the thumb free to control the rate of spin and aid the strike.

Has anyone reviewed the new Youngs Aerodex, which is also going on ebay for around 80 quiddespite the rrp of £175.

Ian

Trisantona

Reaction score
One important consideration nowadays, will the reel fit securely to your intended rod, if you have screw winch fittings chances are an older pin won't. .....a notable exception is the new Ray Walton barbel rolling meat rods from youngs, (very nice rods but don't pay full price,look on ebay),these are purpose designed for a pin and won't grip a baitrunner.!!/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

mike Gibson

Reaction score
Very inetresting thread.

I'm a 'pin fanatic and think that for trotting and under therod top float work on a still water they can't be beaten.

I have several pins including an Okuma Aventa Pro, a trudex, Allcocks record breaker, a Speedia a Leeds and a Shakespeare Lincoln.

If you are on a budget i would go for theLincoln. Looks ugly, but very robust and the most free running of all my reels. Don't bother with the side cast mechanism (unless you want line twist),but at around £40 - cheaper if you shop around, you won't go far wrong