Centrepins

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Rik,
I've never seen or used one but have seem some reviews on other fishing websites.
Take a look Here (hope this works)!
There is also a very good review at www.fishing.co.uk but their site seems to be down at the mo.

A

Alan Roe

Rick here is a link to a review I did of the Browning revolver a while ago.
review

Basically if you can find one get it bought!!They are getting a bit scarce now as they were a limited edition reel.
I have written to Chris Liebrandt to see if they can be made again with a different name and colour probably Masterline green!
He is looking into it as a possibility.
The reel itself is excellent and it is the one I now use for all my fishing and casting demonstrations. The solid drum means that line bedding in is virtually a thing of the past which allows for smooth long Wallis casts. This is vitally important as the one time you are going to have problems is when you are demonstrating in front of an audience!!
For those who are interested in such things I will be at the Prince Albert Open Day at Ribchester in June and The Cheshire Game Fair.
There is a brief article on buying and fishing with the pin on this link.
Pin Article
If I can help any further please feel free to contact me.
One final point I belive that Hardys are producing a pin under the Greys banner called the Bewick it might be worth waiting to have a look at on when they become freely available.

A

Alan Cooper

Thanks chaps for reminding me about the Browning name - yes, it is the Revolver and I do have one! But I stick with the view that it isn't all that free running! A couple of other cheap reels suitable for lake float fishing and ledgering are the Shakespeare "Eagle" centrepins. These are standard bush bearing reels priced at around ?40.

A

Alan Roe

Alan If your having a problem with your revolver send it up to me and I'll see if I can fettle it for you.
Equally if you want to flog it give me a shout.
Cheers
Alan

K

Kevan Farmer

Alan C. I'm with you on the cheap shakey reels. Damn good value for money. They are surprisingly free running. I've not tried the Lewtham c.pins but am assured that they too are v.good. I've a couple of Adcock's but they are a touch heavy for Wallis casting. The Young's Purist II is a better Wallis reel and as Alan Roe so rightly points out, has that all important solid drum. A drum formed of 'pins' looks nice on a c.pin but you have to make sure you have no more than about 50yds of line on it otherwise it causes strange problems.

Oh by the way, my Wallis casting is CRAP :) but I know the correct technique and I practise when I am able. One day...one day...

Kevan

K

Kevan Farmer

I have gone all through the various posts in this thread and one thing is glaring out at me. Reel preparation has been mentioned but not explained.

The best way I have ever heard - apart from actually fishing with the reel for months and months - is one used by my friend Alan Tomkins. Fashion some small paper sails and stick them securely into the holes in the drum of your pin. borrow the wife's/girlfriends/daughter's/ your own hairdrier. Set it to cool and place it so that it blows directly on the already in place paper sails. Leave it for about 24 hours just blowing on the sails and thus spinning the reel. It will enable the spindle to bed in properly whether using a plain bush or bearings. When you are satisfied clean out all traces of the old oil - shouldn't be a lot anyway. Drip a tiny amount on the bare spindle - sewing machine oil or a similar 'thin' lubricant is the best. Viola, one pin bedded in and ready to use. Oh, and possibly one knackered hairdrier.

Kevan

J

John Pleasance

As a long term self taught pin user I have in the last few months read a couple of items about the Wallis cast having heard of it a long time ago but never knowing what it really involved.It now transpires that I have evolved a similar system which works for me but it consists of the "drawing line principle" of the Nottingham cast(but only from the above the butt ring)and the rest is a Wallis cast,it just seems to work all by itself,the line is held at the bottom shot as described for a Wallis cast, and as the rod is projected forward the reel starts to spin paying out line.I use an Adcock Stanton on the Avon without any problems although I find the drum a bit heavy for the Stour where I use a Leeds or for a different line strength I use a Match Aerial on either river.For legering I find my Grice & Youngs are ideal,I believe these are the pattern for the Shakespeare reels.

J

John Pleasance

One more thing about lubrication,don't be tempted to use WD40 or similar on your pins,it dries on there and leaves a residue.Stick to the sewing machine oil or similar.

A

Alan Cooper

I have heard about the hairdryer trick Kevan but have never tried it. Do you run the reel backwards in the direction that line will be taken off trotting? or doesn't it make any difference?

T

Terry Ellis

Thanks for that reply Alan. It seems that I might as well stick with my Leeds for the moment but one day I will probably get an urge to buy a more expensive one.

A

Alan Cooper

Thanks for the offer Alan re my Revolver. I might take you up on it yet! I'll try Kevan's trick on it with the hairdryer. It is a really beautiful reel and I certainly don't want to sell it, but I would like it loosened up enough to trot with!

R

Rodney Wrestt

I've been following this thread and I feel a little worried about asking because no one has mentioned the reel I have so I would like your oppinions on it. The reel is a Shakespeare Aerial Centrepin, I've had it for about three years now and find it very smooth running and it starts spinning with 1 no4 shot on 2lb line (although I'm not sure if the test should be carried out with the line threaded through the rod rings or not), I use it for roach, dace & grayling (that's when I can get through the trout).

A

Alan Roe

I had one of these reels they were originally a limited edition reel made by Youngs for Shakespeare.
The overall build quality of the reel was good as you would expect from Youngs and the reel was fine for trotting purposes.
A couple of things irritated me about the reel one was that the holes in the face of the reel were too small and wrong shaped for me to get my finger into I often do this to retrieve line quickly but without batting the spool.
The other let down was the spring on the check was distinctly feeble.
Having said that the were minor niggles on an otherwise perfectly acceptable reel.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Phew...thanks for the info Alan, glad I haven't got a donkey...(topical description last week) I found the same problem with the holes being a little neat, so I just give one of the handles a push and it retrieves line quite quickly.

Happy New Year everyone. ;o}~

A

Alan Cooper

No, you certainly haven't got a donkey Rodney. Personally, I reckon the Shakespeare Ariel is one of the very best centrepins ever made on a manufactured basis. I tried too late to buy Alan Roe's (he'd sold it!). Youngs / Shakespeare have stopped making them which I think was a very wrong decision as the free running is absolutely superb. Unlike Alan R I thought the design fine - I use the handles!

A

Alan Roe

You can still find odd ones for sale at shows like the Chatsworh angling fair I saw two there this year

W

Wilson Marshall

Christ,98 messages,thats awesome,my tenpence worth is if your fishing small rivers or are prepared to wade in bigger rivers in order to have total control over your float then a centrepin is a good thing,if you fish bigrivers or stillwaters then stick to a decent fixed spool you won,t go wrong.

A

Alan Roe

At the risk of sounding a touch contentious which of course I never am ..being a quiet shy retiring soul....

Wilson I fish the Severn and the lower Ribble using a pin for all my float and light ledger work are they small rivers??

I only resort to Fixed spool reels when hurling feeders or other forms of hefty weighted tackles around.

I suspect that you like many others are of the opinion that you can't cast any distance with a pin.....

I would be happy to show you otherwise....

For those souls amongst you who want to see me make a beggar of things I will be appearing at the Cheshire Game Fair agian this year.......!
Cheers
Alan