Centrepins

C

Carp Angler

Midweeks are best for me too.
My shift pattern is too bizarre to comprehend.
Name some dates and we'll agree on one or two.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Will do... I think I saw my boss doing the November off duty so I may have some more idea as to when I'll be free on monday.
Send me an e-mail address and I'll e-mail you direct re this mine is to be found further back in this thread
Cheers
Alan

S

steve reeves

hi all,Steve Reeves from Stockport here, I`ve just read this thread on centerpins, you might be interested in articles by Alan Tomkins at www.fishing.co.uk .from the home page go to articles and search for Alan tomkins. He explains the `Wallis cast` in words and pictures.he also writes about different reels. Steve (owner of an Adcock Stanton)

A

Alan Cooper

Thanks for this contribution Steve - a very useful reference link for us all.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Dear All
This has been an interesting thread and my thanks go to Alan Cooper for starting it.
Some of you will have noticed that Carp Angler and I are planning to meet up when we can sort it how many others would be interested in a day out with rod and pins somewhere central for eg Bewdley town water on the Severn???
It could be good for a laugh and we can all learn from each other..perhaps a 'fun match' what do you think ????

S

steve reeves

Hi Alan, I`d be up for that.I must admit to being a novice with a centerpin (been fishing for 38 years but only got a centerpin this season). I`m a member of Lymm anglers and visitors to their stretch of the severn at Atcham can get a day ticket.
Steve.
p.s. first impressions of fishing with a centerpin: NOW I KNOW WHY THEY INVENTED THE FIXED SPOOL REEL!. :) ;-)
. They should come with a WARNING don`t use in windy conditions!

A

Alan Cooper

Oh yes Steve, centrepins and high wind do NOT mix well! I fished the Suffolk Stour on June 16th and my intention was to stick with my pin all day. The wind had other ideas!

G

Goose Ganderton

Alan is it still on for Bewdley on the 26th if so do you know a good B&B down there as I might want to stay on an extra day or two.

G

Goose Ganderton

Dont tell me it's Pauls fault that this topic seems to have split in to two..... just wait till I get my hands on you SPARkY

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Its still on see the other thread they've managed to fix it now!!!!

A

Andy Blessett

I've just aquired a centrepin reel and I've never "loaded" one up before. Is there a right and wrong way of attaching line to the spool? Do you tie it on as you would a fixed reel spool or do you pass the line through the little hole (that I've noticed on the centrepin spool)and tie a knot of some kind? Or, doesn't it matter? This is probably a daft question but, if you don't know.......

R

Ron Clay

Tie a loop and put it on the reel through the line guard if it has one. Then get your girlfriend to hold the spool of new line on a pencil.

R

Rob Brownfield

Andy, I hold the line on by two methods...if its a pin for Grayling and roach, I just use a yiny bit of tap to hold the line on the spool...if its my carp pin, I tie through the hole as u suggested.

A

Alan Cooper

If you have a reel with a drilled line hole then use it! You get less bedding in of the line if you do. I have even drilled my centrepins where they didn't have a line hole. This facility is especially important for trotting where I have come to agree with Alan Roe and I put no more than 50 yards of line on the reel. Put the line through the tiny hole and tie a small bead on the inner side of the drum - then load the line with someone else holding the line spool threaded onto a pencil. Wind on not too tight and nor too loose. If you are using your centrepin for carp it matters less about using the line hole (but still use it, I say) but you will need more than 50 yeards!

T

Terry Ellis

I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have a Leeds centrepin which I have used several times this year fishing stewed wheat with a stick float or an Avon crowquill. I enjoyed it but I did get a few tangles. I started off holding the rod so that the reel was horizontal (handles facing up), as this seemed more natural to me but I found that if I held the rod so that the reel was hanging down vertically I got less tangles.

J

Jon Moores

The Leeds reel will perform just as well vertically because it is a bearing type. It is the 'true pins' that need holding with the handles up. I'd agree with Alan, use the hole and a bead if there is one.

T

Terry Ellis

Would anyone care to put together a definitive list of currently available centrepins and prices with a rating or comments against each one. Other people could then add to these comments. The only ones that I see regularly advertised in magazines are the Swallow and the Free Spirit Searcher.

A

Alan Cooper

I'll have a go Terry but please bear in mind that it doesn't mean that I own all of these!

Free Spirit: copy of old Alcocks "Ariel." This is a standard pin running on bush bearings (not ball bearings) and will demand a lot of "wearing in" before you could use it for light float trotting. Perfectly ok for ledgering. Price about ?135 with lineguard.

Swallow: now made by Ringwood reels but the original was handmade by dave Swallow. This is a ball bearing reel and is suitable for light float trotting. Price about ?155 with lineguard.

Youngs reels

I believe that Masterline has taken over reel production from Youngs and so the longer term availablity of these reels is open to question. However:

Youngs "Purist" models 4 inch and 4.5 inch and narrow (0.75 inch) and wide (1 inch) drums. There are several versions of this reel. All are "hybrid" bearing reels with a ball bearing on the backplate side and a bush bearing on the handle side. They are reasonably free running and a bit of "wearing in" will help them yet more. The best (in my opinion) is the "caged lightweight" which has a caged drum but this lineguard feature is no good (like all lineguards) if you want to "Wallis Cast."
prices tend to be around ?180 - the two dearest versions of this reel are the John Wilson reel and the Bob James reel. This latter has a ventilated drum cutting down on weight and therefore on inertia = more free running than the others.

Youngs also make the Rapidex and Trudex which are standard bush bearing reels - suitable for ledgering or lake fishing only in my view - about ?90.

Another option is the Browning (can't remember its name) which looks a bit like the Purist but is a double set spoked reel and runs on a bush bearing. I can't say I think much of this reel for float trotting but it looks beautiful and is good for ledgering. About ?200.

The Leeds: comes in various sizes up to 5.5 inches and is a ball bearing reel. Many say it is a good buy because of the cheap price - about ?50 and it is pretty free running.

The Relum: copy of Swallow but cheaper (about ?100) but no line guard option.