Clattercote Teach-in (12th April 2008)

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I have to say that I enjoyed the day out, took a few pics, met some new faces and finally fished Clattercote on my terms - waggler fishing with normal match gear and had some nice tench and roach - no great weight but quality fish to put a smile on my face. It was more like trotting at times though it made little difference to whetehr they bit or not.

Reaction score
Definite quality Mark having witnessed one of your tench & a great roach around the 1 1/2 - 2 lb mark. Only managed a 2 lb bream myself but all the fish I saw coming out were in great condition unlike some of the fish I see at various over fished commercials.

Maybe be we could have a another teach in later in the year. I personally would like some help with pole fishing & I'm sure there's others who wouldn't mind a bit of help as well. Also, one's who've never tried it & wouldn't mind an introduction & a go at holding & using a pole for the first time. It's a whole new world for some!

W

Wolfman Woody

JK said "A big thank you to Graham and Stu for their part and to anyone else who helpedincluding the David Bailey type bloke handing out the freebies at the end."

More like Bath It Daily, mate.

Gee but I was red when I got home. Not only forgot me overtrouser which put me off fishing at the start, but forgot a hat for me napper. Bl**dy skin's red raw today and I had some sun screen factor 40 in the car - stupid puddin'.

And me feet hurt, and me back hurt, and me knees hurt.

I enjoyed playing with Graham's camera though.

Fred Boniface

Reaction score
At the risk of annoying Grumpy Git (who was anything but on the day) I am not called John. Unless there was another peg 20 between him on 19 and Matt on 21, that was occupied with an angler who caught a carp in a hailstorm, then I claim that role.

That saidI thoroughly enjoyed the day and it was great to meet up with everyone. The breakfast was indeed the lowlight of the day - a very tepid affair - enlivened only by the company.

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo by Stu, who was extremely open and honest about his way with the Method. Hewas extremely approachableand helpful.The freebies of hat, groundbait, feeder were grateful received and used where appropriate !Thank you Graham anda thank you to Woody for the braid.

I stuck itout all day on the Method, a techniqueI had never previously employed. I made a conscious effortto persevere with the regular cast and feed approach that Stu had stressed was essential.

I was made up to get a Bream of about 1.5 lbs in the first hour, with no mistaking the bite as the tip rattled and then bent double as the fish moved away. A few little knocks apparent in the ensuing hour or so but no bites that I could think of hitting.

After a bait change I was just setting the rod after seeing the bait to the bottom whenthe rod dragged round. A better fish immediately apparent, I anxiouslywaited to see the fish roll on the surface; a nice Tench of approx. 3.5 - 4 lb in a pale, almost golden colour, into the net and onto the mat, a quickphoto and fish returned.

No more bites for a while and then a cast slightly misplaced to my right - sorry Matt ! In a couple of minutes the tip jagged a couple of times then bent as I picked up the rod - fish on. A much heavier fish that made several runs against the clutch, with the line singing in the rings, then all went slack. Iretrieved the feeder to find the hooklength had brokenat the hook, with a twisty pig's tail as evidence. This wasa commercially tied hair system, so I could at leastI knew it was not my knot tying.

On went a new hooklength and a few casts later, at around 17:00 or so the rain started with accompanying hail,just as the rod went round again. A solid resistance and a good fish, although not thestrong runs ofthe "one that got away". It hammered down for several minutes and I do not think I really noticed at the time. Very, very pleased and very relieved to see the fish finally roll on the surface and netted first time.

As "GG" said it went just over 12 on his digital scales, the fish had a similar golden appearance to the tench; is this a feature of Clattercote stock ? Matt took a photo and the fish went back - all my kit and chair were soaked and I decided to tackle down. I had broken down, packed and even had my sack on my back when I went to shake hands with Matt. As he ventured out from the shelter of his brolly, his rod went round and he lifted into a fish, which I was delighted to net a few minutes later. Another golden carp at around 4 lb.

During the rain and hail there was an extraordinary rainbow, that we all could see actually ended in the reservoir on the far side, adjacent to the dam. I am delighted but not surprised that GG netteda fish after Matt and I had left, I can only imagine that one was Golden too.

A really enjoyable day - a pleasure to meet each of you, an experienceI hope to repeat in the future but any chance of a better breakfast ?

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
My humble appologies Fred, lots of names to remember and old age is doing some awful things to my memory.

I was tempted to fish the golden peg at the end of the rainbow, I must admit, but I stayed put in peg 19 and scored in the end.

J K

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Moaning Marlow Meldrew wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Gee but I was red when I got home. Not only forgot me overtrouser which put me off fishing at the start, but forgot a hat for me napper. Bl**dy skin's red raw today and I had some sun screen factor 40 in the car - stupid puddin'.</blockquote>The first thing my missus said when I got home "the sun's caught your face" and I'd had me new hat on.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
It seems that the "rubbish breakfast" bit is a pretty general concensus and having experienced that same breakfast before the fish-in last year I can only agree, the contents of the breakfast are fine but why oh! why can't they serve it hot, they have the right facilities? This same facility served piping hot breakfasts at a reasonable price before they er! modernised it so its time they were informed of this poor service and I for one will certainly be telling them this year if it happens.

Maybe we all should take it back to the counter en bloc, complain bitterly and demand a refund having eaten half of it of course and made a sarny as well. Tesco's boast is that they never refuse a refund so we might even wangle a free brekkie out of it. Lets do an Arsene Wenger (complain). Power to the people

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Great to meet everyone, especially those I met for the first time. I'll do a little write-up soon.

Complaints about the Tesco breakfast are bang-on, poor service and cold by the time you get round to eating it. I've tried to find an email address to complain by email but I can't find one, so maybe we should do asGraham suggests and complain on match day.

Either that or see if we can find somewhere else to meet and have breakfast.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
What time is the draw for the match?

If we all complain it will be a midday kick-off...........

An alternative breakfast venue would be good. Any proper cafe's near by?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham, do you want me to see if the Red Lion(after match venue) will do a breakfast for us?

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

there is a mcdonalds and a burger king further down the road beyond the tesco's and there are several greasy spoon cafes in Bnabury. I can do a recce if you like and report back. The church house Pub in Banbury has lots of parking space and does a good pub lunch until 2100 hrs its just up the hill into the town centre.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nigel(ACA ,SAA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Graham, do you want me to see if the Red Lion(after match venue) will do a breakfast for us?</blockquote>
Great idea Nigel, and if that fails let's see what Trev comes up with.

Andyw

Reaction score
So you all went for the breakfast then and not the fishing!!! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

My mrs did me sausage, egg, bacon, black pud when I got home... Much better than Tesco, shall I tell her we'll meet here, she'd love to make 30+ breakfasts for you all!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't encourage them Andy. You'll have a house full.

You have to have brown sauce for the northerne lads though. There'll be a riot if not.

They nearly smashed up Tescos a few years ago when they'd ran out.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

E-mail to red Lion sent.

Any one try the pellet method feeder on Saturday?

N

NomadPaul

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nigel(ACA ,SAA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

E-mail to red Lion sent.

Any one try the pellet method feeder on Saturday?</blockquote>
Blimey Nigel , didn't realise the Brekkie at Tesco's was that bad !!!

Andyw

Reaction score
I tried but couldn't get my 21mm halibut pellets to stick round the feeder!! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

I'm off fishing 2moro at a lake locally, so going to give the method another bash, now that I have new found confidence!! But I'm sure that'll be smashed to pieces by the end of the day!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nigel(ACA ,SAA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Any one try the pellet method feeder on Saturday?</blockquote>

Do you mean the Middy Shotgun feeder Nigel?

If so, then no, but only because my two local shops are sold out of the large version and it was too windy to get the small one far enough out.

I'm told they sold over 100,000 of them in the first week it went on sale and they can still be hard to find in the shops.