Clattercote Teach-in (12th April 2008)

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

I popped into Clattercote yesterday on my way to Banbury and the dozen or so anglers there were all catching. It seems the further out the better, there were a lot of bream getting caught as well.

Reaction score
Graham

Can you post a list of gear that attendees need to bring with them & is there any order that the different tuition will be given. I will try & make the breakfast at Tesco's. Looking forward to the day, let's hope the weather picks up though!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
unfortunatly, i can not come now!!! Hope u all have a great time.

/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Guys, keepnets are only allowed in matches to the best of my knowledge.Check out the rules.

I fished early April last year in cold conditions.No carp showed but the bream were active as Trev suggests.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<u>CLATTERCOTE RESERVOIR, SATURDAY, 12TH APRIL 2008</u>

Graham Marsden

Stu Dexter

Woody

Fred Boniface

AndyW

Kevin Perkins

blankety blank

JK

Bryan Baron

Grumpy Git

Steve Wilson

Chris Bettis

Speci-hunter

Matt Corker

Paul Boyle

Mark Wintle

Mike Mortimore

Yacko

brewery boy

Steve King

the bagger

John Patterson

Mick Patterson

Geoff Furnival

Stu Dexter, editor of Coarse Fisherman magazine, will be giving acomplete demo of mixing groundbait for Method fishing. He will also begiving advice onpole and method fishing through the day.

I'll be advising on method and bagging waggler fishing.

The day will be informal and fun, with those of us who are 'teaching' wandering the bank helping where we can, at least for the first few hours, or for as long as anyone needs help,and then we'll all fish until it's time to go home.

Those who want to can meet for breakfast at Tesco at 8am and the teach-in will start at 9.30am, or as soon as everyone has got their tackle to a swim, but no later than 10.00am.

I'll aska manufacturer to supply some end tackle and bait.

There will be a full picture feature of the dayon this site and possibly something in Coarse Fisherman.

Clattercote reservoir information

Map to Tesco's - Type Banbury in the locator box and then click on 'info and map'

Map to Clattercote - Clattercote is the little blue rectangle just above the word ‘Mollington’.

Extract from the fishery rules:[*]NEVER place fish on platforms or boards [*]Barbless hooks only – maximum hook size 8 [*]No braid is permitted as hooklength [*]All carp and tench must be land-netted. No swinging to hand[*]No keepnets except in matches

Some advice about fishing Clattercote

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Everyone attending will receive a free 2kg bag of Sonu Baits Supercarp Method Mix (which also contains a free Korum Method feeder).

There will be no formal schedule to the day. Those who are coming along to offer tuition will wander the bank and give individual help to those who want it on whichever method they want to know about.

Stu Dexter will give a demo on mixing groundbait suitable for method feeding where it will be best if we all gather round as best we can. We'll set up a time for that on the day.

Those who are not meeting in Tesco for breakfast please just go along to the fishery, choose a peg along the near bank (nearest to car park) and tackle up if you wish.

When the rest of us arrive about 9.30 please indicate that you're an FM'er with a greeting such as "Morning McWallet, I claim my free bag of Method mix and method feeder."

In the event that we can't all fit along one bank then we'll just have to do the best we can, but even if there's a match they're usually not too big at this time of year so there should be room both before and after the match pegs, and along the dam.

Tackle: If you want to fish the method then you need a medium to heavy quivertip rod, 6lb to 8lb main line, a few method feeders and a few hooklengths from 5lb to 7lb bs. I use the Korum 3" hair rigs.

If you want to lear about the bagging waggler then you need an Avon type rod, or light carp rod, 8lb line, and one or two bagging wagglers.

Bait: Small boilies, pellets, maggot, sweetcorn, and whatever else you fancy trying.

If there's some tackle you haven't got, and can't get it, don't worry, those doing the tuitionmay be able toloan you something on the day.

Please ask away with any questions and will those who are helping with tuition please feel free to offer any answers.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Damn!

I have already bought 15 kilos of Vitalin and blitzed the lot, she who must be obeyed was not amused at the incessant noise. Bought two new Korum (elasticated) method feeders too!

So the 6' baitcasting rod won't be much help either then? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

See you there!!

Yacko

Reaction score
If one of the tutors, who have generously offered some help to us mere mortals, see someone trusted up in a dirty blue bib&brace who is struggling to hit an area the size of a large barn at 20 yards that would be me and I would greatly appreciate some help to improve on feeder fishing.

I always blame it on my JW avon rod which isn't really designed for what I'm asking of it but it just may be something I'm doing wrong!

Look forward to meeting everyone on Saturday.

Reaction score
See you there guys.

I've got two barbel rods and bait runners loaded with 15lb mono. A bit over gunned by Graham's recommendations. Hope they're not line shy or I'm stuffed.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Matt, I'll be fishing 15lb hooklinks to 25lb mono on a 3.5lbtc rod under the boards in the match!!!

A bit over gunned? I don't think so!

They don't half pull /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Good luck guys, I'm sure you'll have a geat time, Graham and Stu and the rest will show you how to do it properly.

Reaction score
So you think 15lb is OK?

I have a 12ft 2.75lb fox floodwater barbel rod with quiver tips and a plain tip plus a prodigy 12ft 1,75lb barbel rod. I intend to use the first for method feeder with a quiver and the other for baggin waggler with the avon top.

At the other extrem I have a Daiwa multiquiver which is fine for open end feeder for bream etc.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Not really mate, if you're fishing into open water with the bag wag or method 8-10lb max should be fine. The 2.75tc would be fine for the bag wag and I'd use the 1.75tc on the method. Maybe buy two new spools and fill them with 8lb line? Maybe offer to do a review on a couple of the spare reels Graham has got knocking about in his lock-up, or should I say his "Alladins cave"? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Don't worry mate Graham and Stu will show you the way.

Enjoy the day /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Matt, read my article about Clattercote last year and you'll understand what I mean about fishing "under the boards".

Reaction score
Nice article Steve. I did know there was a board walk and the fish can often be behind you - a bit hair raising. I recall reading of broken poles somewhere too.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Not really mate, if you're fishing into open water with the bag wag or method 8-10lb max should be fine. The 2.75tc would be fine for the bag wag and I'd use the 1.75tc on the method.</blockquote>

Steve, maybe a daft question - why the 2.75 for the baggin waggler. I had the other way round in mind (but have never foshed it so not got a feel for it).

Going on the usual guidelines 10lb is the min I would go to on hte 2.75, but would take advice otherwise.

Andyw

Reaction score
I'm only going to get Graham's autograph on my Anglers Mail and a DVD of chub fishing he made!!

Serious hero worship going on!!! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<u>Slight change of plan for Saturday, hopefully for the better</u>

I've had a word with the bailiff and according to him there are no matches booked for Saturday. He's going to reserve 25 pegs for us, and these are pegs 1 - 25 on the car park side. Which is great because the fish will be in the deeper water anyway and not under the boards at the other end. They only come close in down there when it gets warmer and they start thinking about spawning.

I've spoken to Stu Dexter and we've decided to work it like this:

Stu will go straight to the fishery and reserve three adjacent pegs somewhere in the middle section of the 25 pegs. One peg at each end of the three will be used by me and Stu, with the peg in between left empty for photography (a picture feature on FM and in the magazine).

Stu will kick off proceedings with a demomixing groundbait for fishing the method, which I'll video as he does it and we all watch.

After that myself and Stu will set up and from there anyone can come and join us, ask questions, and have a go with our gear, either individually in turns or in groups, whatever anyone wants to do.

Anyone can then go off and set up their own gear and Stu and I will come to you to give you advice should you want some - all you have to do is ask. Hopefully we can get the tuition done by early afternoon and then all of us enjoy a few hours fishing.

If anyone still wants to fish down the far end close to the boards then that's no problem; you'll be buying a day ticket and you're free to fish wherever you want.

Right, I'll see most of you (I think) in Tesco for breakfast at 8am, and the rest of you at the water at about9.30am.

Conditions are not going to be brilliant (as usual!) but I think we should catch a few fish.