Closed Season

S

Steve Muir

Guys

Why don't you grow up
This site was excellent before we got all this moronic crap.

Steve

C

Cakey

I would like to apologise to Adrian Hartopp whose started this thread on the close season.
I have started a new thread here for any more responses to Ron's moronic crap and to my response to it.

J

John Hepworth

Looks like Ron has won on the replies front Alan, although I think his postings were done with slight wink in his eye. What followed had to do wth the close season, god only knows!!!
Going back to game anglers being more passionate, why then did less than 50% in my region refuse to renew their rod licence when catch and release was introduced? The only thing they are passionate about is killing, where does the SPORT, SKILL and PASSION for angling come come into that reasoning?

C

Cakey

John Hepworth E-mail member
Posted: 17/03/02 08:06:00 AM
Looks like Ron has won on the replies front Alan, although I think his postings were done with slight wink in his eye. What followed had to do wth the close season, god only knows!!!

oh dear you cacked it too !!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"This site was excellent before we got all this moronic crap."

You mean a few messages you strongly disagree with have ruined the whole site?

S

Steve Muir

Graham

No not a few messages i strongly disagree with.
You are well aware of what i am on about.
The thread was the closed season which turned into members insulting others
and talking crap (look at me Graham i'm really funny kind of guys)
You have allowed this on a number of occasions because i take it they are your
mates or they want to be in your cliche. Graham it's turned into your mates taking
over whole threads trying to be funny but not.

Regards Steve

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Strange isn't it. We have one Steve saying there is no humour and another Steve saying there's too much.

Maybe there is a little truth in what you say about threads being taken over with humour, but I think I would rather have the humour taking over than the insults about 'moronic crap'.

My 'mates' or not, none of them are morons.

P

Paul Williams

Steve,
There are a lot of "mates" on this site, they became mates because of the site and a common interest in angling.
I have met up with guys for fishing sessions after chatting to them on FM...the first time i did this was with Carp angler and to be honest i was a little dubious at first, the idiot on the bus thing came to mind! but angling is great for creating something to talk about and since then i have had no qualms about meeting guys......i have met up with a lot now....Dave Johnson, Dave Cooper, Stu Johnson, Graham...etc etc we have had fishin get togethers where everyone was invited.....yep there are many "mates" but not just those who have met, those who just chat class each other as pals......like everything you reap what you sow.....if posters just want to talk angling thats great...if they want to meet up thats great to, for me it opens up a whole new world of angling opportunity.
I know that sometimes a bit of banter apears that only makes sense to certain parties but thats inevitable on a chat forum......now i must go find Wendy, i have to talk her into a piking session! :]

S

Steve Muir

Graham
I would not insult anyone
You are well aware that this was not aimed at any of your mates.
The threads are not being taken over by humour but by insults
and so called humour only you and some others understand.

You carry on
Steve

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
In one corner we have Steve Baker who accuses the site of various things, including being too serious and lacking humour. He bolsters his argument by quoting what he calls 'The classic':

?Why don't you grow up. This site was excellent before we got all this moronic crap.?

That was a direct quote from Steve Muir who says there is too much 'so-called' humour and says that 'moronic crap' is not an insult.

I think the best thing that can happen is that Steve and Steve should email each other privately to thrash out a compromise and then tell the rest of us what it is.

For the time being we'll carry on, like Steve Muir says, for the majority of us seem to like the forum just as it is.

Anybody want this easy job of being a forum moderator?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Just to finish off this thread, it was me who mentioned the term witch hunt. Which was unfair based on our scribblings about Ron so please direct any negativity regarding Steve Baker to me and take this as a formal apology. I’m certainly big enough and ugly enough to take it!

I have a couple of views I want to air so here goes:

1. Managing a site and handling the mood of its content is a nightmare in itself. Unfortunately one has to be’ all things to all men (and women – sorry Wendy) I should know that’s what I do for a living.
2. This is the hard bit, as much as a site moderator/manager would love to sit on the fence, it’s sometimes difficult to do so especially if your passionate about what your building (i.e. an online community)
3. I think if we all agreed with each other all of the time then this really would be a sad site to visit. Of course there are the ones that stir it up from time to time and to be honest they know what they’re doing and 99% of the time they’re doing it for fair sport, so we should look at this from a tongue in cheek point of view.
4. If I get banned for my next comment, then fair enough I’ll take it on the chin, it’s just that I’m now going to say what many others may think so here goes: Steve Muir, you are a TOSSER of the highest degree. You’re petty and pretentious comments are not why I joined this forum. This is the only site that suits what I want to take out of being a member. I’ve joined so many other fishing posting sites which I’d imagine you’d would feel quite home at. Sites where opinionated assholes only like their own opinions. On FM, I feel comfortable, I’m always willing to help others and I’m always willing to learn, There are some exceptional contributors on here many of which I’ve made friends with. If this is a ‘clicky’ site then I’m Madonna. And yes I am entitled to say what I say and Yes I talk from 9 years of Internet experience!

I’ve said my piece and I wish you all well. If this s too harsh Graham, then mail me and I’ll walk away, because to be quite honest, if this is where it’s going then this site would’ve joined the many others out there and would of lost its pizzazz and usefulness that I’ve grown to love and enjoy.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't want to ban anybody. Bans are not my way, in fishing or on this forum, and will only do so if I'm left with no choice.

So what I'll do, in the interests of being fair, is allow Steve Muir to reply, and then hope things will cool down.

M

Margot Twine

On this close season debate if the latest research is to be believed the levels of ethanol oestradiol or synthetic oestragen polluting rivers is now so severe that up to 50% of male fish are turning into females.The end result of this surely will be less fish available to catch and close season or not if the percentage continues to rise allowing for spawning wont make any difference.On my local stillwater when fish are spawning you can drop all the bait you like on their nose and they are not the least bit interested so whether your allowed to be there or not is of no interest to the fish.The other point coming out of this reputed decline in river fish is that maybe soon the carp knockers will be forced to turn their attentions to carp as there wont be many other species left.Incidentally this research does not seem to apply to carp maybe because they are a relatively recent imported species.As for deserted river banks around here its more likely to be caused by the fear of being assaulted by gangs of druggies and other unruly assholes out to disrupt and spoil other peoples enjoyment of what they see as a sad old fats pastime.

S

Shrek

Graham, if I end up with a legendary fat wallet too, I'd love to be a forum moderator.

In my own defence I would just like to say that I actaully answered my own original post and didn't expect all this to snowball in the manner it has.

Don't you just love it!

A

A

Andy Bebbington

it`s about time the rivers were open all year round the same as ponds,lakes,canals.
we are living in the past and need to pull are fingers out and start looking at the future.
cheers,andy

L

Laurie Harper

Put the handbags away, chaps. It's fishing, not rocket science or the Third World War.

C

Chris Bishop

The bizarre thing you find is that people are always much ruder to each other on the web than they'd ever be on the bank. Or am I missing something..?

Close season-wise, I reckon if I need a break the fish I've been boring the fins off for the last few weeks probably do too.

But please let's not take contentious subjects as an excuse for all the gob and abuse that float about on other sites, or hit the fan; depending on your preferences.

Fishing is and always will be a broad church. FISHINGmagic's appeal, as far as I'm concerned is it unites a wide range of opinions, experiences and outlooks under one banner.

Enjoy the break, or not as the case may be, CB.....

D

Dave Johnson

did anyone notice how mild and pleasant it was first weekend after the season closed....ggrrrr.

G

Gerry Castles

Absolutely right Chris. Most of it's in good humour, or at least I hope you find it that way. Ultimately I've spent at least three quarters of my fishing time this season with people I met on this and other web-sites, now that really is what it's all about for me. But I have in the past insulted complete strangers just because I thought they were being ridiculous or looking for a fight. I also object and react quickly to amongst other things, strong and unneccessary bad language, badly handled fish, bad bankside manners and sheer stupidity.I find some forums worse than others hence I have not posted on p&p for three months, it just brought out the worse in me and there has to be more to life on-line than making rude remarks about the reported limited size of Neville's wedding tackle.

C

Cakey

Stuart I think Margots sussed why your such a tart,your levels of ethanol oestradiol are through the ceiling.