corvi 19

davebhoy

Reaction score
How many beans make 5?

They use to count completed Covid19 tests. But I'm reading Revealed: How government changed the rules to hit 100,000 tests target | News | Health Service Journal that to get the number up to 100,000 per day, up to 50,000 of the tests that will be reported as having taken place on 30th April will actually represent the mailing of, or the agreeing to the mailing of, a home testing kit.

But as a non-expert, I feel entirely unqualified to comment.

That’s just petty. It’s obvious that wasn’t what I meant

no-one in particular

Reaction score
What I don't understand although I may have missed something is why these face masks cannot be re-used. I bought one the other day from a store and have worn it a few times. I thought I would try to sterilize it so ran it under a very hot tap for a few seconds, the water was probably not far below boiling point or at least very hot. It looks none the worse for wear and it must be sterilized; it dried out in no time. It is one of those thin double sided things with a bit of wire going through the top, a bit flimsy looking but not bad to wear. So, I am wondering why the NHS cannot do this in their hospitals.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
I do recycle them but don't wash them. Apparently cv19 needs to be at quite a high temperature for quite a long time to be destroyed, last time I looked it did anyway. I have a line of them. It's probably three to four weeks before one gets reused. Plenty of time for the virus to deactivate.

steve2

Reaction score
My wife and others volunteers have been making things for the NHS. All the materials need to be able withstand washing at a minimum 60 degrees c.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I do recycle them but don't wash them. Apparently cv19 needs to be at quite a high temperature for quite a long time to be destroyed, last time I looked it did anyway. I have a line of them. It's probably three to four weeks before one gets reused. Plenty of time for the virus to deactivate.

Its only protein so I would have thought it could be destructed quite easily with hot water. Anyway, I just poured boiling water of the mask and it still seems none the worse for it so, when it is dry I will reuse again tomorrow. I still don't think it is as good as my home made one but it is a bit lighter and easier to breathe through. I just wonder about the NHS ones, do they need to be disposed of when there is a shortage if they can be sterilized in boiling water. Probably never know, just a thought, maybe I should stop thinking.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The more I read about how we might come out of lock down the more I think that it will be most unfair on the older generation.

It seems likely that the over 70's may be requited to remain in some form of lock down longer than the younger population, so if they decide you can go fishing again it will only be for the under 70's . . . . .

I am in some doubt as to whether or not I'll be downloading this "Tracing App" as well especially considering just who is developing it . . . .

I don't usually subscribe to the conspiracy theories but those "advisers" have "history" in data manipulation.

Last edited:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I am in some doubt as to whether or not I'll be downloading this "Tracing App" as well especially considering just who is developing it . . . . .

I'm in the happy position of being under the age of 70 and not in possession of a smart phone. I hardly ever use the basic PAYG phone I do have, so there's no way I'm ever going to acquire one. Unless they're giving them away gratis, then I might consider it...

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Wow...

That is some statement.

So you're suggesting that the actual death rate from Covid 19 in the UK is currently running at 52k - 53k?

I have little doubt that the government figures are on the low side of what's actually happening, be it intentionally or to do with the complexities and timescale of collating the information but half?

I will be interested to see a source which confirms actual death rates are running at fifty thousand plus, can you provide one?

One of the sad super wow statements for UK 2020. Sources: the FT, the Guardian, SD.... your reasoning....

Aknib

Reaction score
One of the sad super wow statements for UK 2020. Sources: the FT, the Guardian, SD.... your reasoning....

Are they referring to an overall projected, as opposed to a current or running total, death rate once this thing is finally under control and is there anything factual behind their reports?

My reasoning for questioning the figures was that I could not bring myself to believe, particularly now that figures are across all scenarios, that death rates are running at twice what the government are reporting.

I can see why the government might want to understate it a little but they know there are too many people scrutinising their every move and I can't honestly see them reporting on only half the actual figure at a 'current' level as they would know they'd never get away with it.

steve2

Reaction score
If you add normal rate deaths to coronavirus deaths
you could well end up with 50000 dead in fact it would be higher.
40000 dead is about normal death rate in this country for a month. So if you believe what you read the monthly death rate is now around 100000.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My sister who works in the NHS said these figures are not a true reflection, up to 50% of these people were going to die anyway, some want to die anyway, the NHS is committed to keeping them alive. Hard I know but the truth according to her, She said her colleagues get annoyed about it as it creates more panic, if they were figures for people who died purely from corona virus who would have lived without catching it, the figure would be a lot less. I am not passing on an opinion, just what she said.
After she told me this, I noticed they say "corona related deaths" when the figures are reported.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The more I read about how we might come out of lock down the more I think that it will be most unfair on the older generation.

It seems likely that the over 70's may be requited to remain in some form of lock down longer than the younger population, so if they decide you can go fishing again it will only be for the under 70's . . . . .

I am in some doubt as to whether or not I'll be downloading this "Tracing App" as well especially considering just who is developing it . . . .

I don't usually subscribe to the conspiracy theories but those "advisers" have "history" in data manipulation.

I see Peter that in the Times yesterday on the front page, there is a report that the medical profession agree with this and are pressurising the Gov to relax this over 70 rule. They are saying as long as any in this group are fit and healthy, they should not be quarantined in this way, it is counter productive, I think they are right and I hope they get the Gov to relax this policy.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
@Aknib:

My answer to you yesterday was rude, I'm sorry.

However I was talking of the current number of deaths indeed.
The total of deaths would a basic sum of something like: In hospital, confirmed + In hospital, highly suspected + Outside, confirmed + Outside, highly suspected + Indirect deaths (this is a vast one!).

In belgium the total is based on that sum...

In UK, perhaps we'll make the sum one day...

Aknib

Reaction score
@Aknib:

My answer to you yesterday was rude, I'm sorry.

However I was talking of the current number of deaths indeed.
The total of deaths would a basic sum of something like: In hospital, confirmed + In hospital, highly suspected + Outside, confirmed + Outside, highly suspected + Indirect deaths (this is a vast one!).

In belgium the total is based on that sum...

In UK, perhaps we'll make the sum one day...

Hey no problem, I never interpreted it as rude :)

I think it's one of those 'time will tell' kind of things, if there's one thing everyone can agree on it's the lower the better when it comes to this outcome.

Reaction score
Ive been to Aldi this morning,just for some strawberrys,rasberrys and other fruit,ice cream etc,when I had the shock of my life,they actually had self raising flour,its the first time I've seen any flour for more than six weeks,nearly fell over in my rush to pick up twenty bags.......

Ok,two,lol.

rayner

Reaction score
Bread flour hasn't been available for months, it amazes me that every time I get the urge to make bread something gets in the way.
Another issue caused by Corvid 19.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Lockdown is cool for shopping... I go to aldi once a week at 9 pm. There are perhaps 5 or 6 customers at the same time. Of course those 5 look at me with the highest suspiscion. Maybe its because having difficulties to walk straight is linked to covid and not dystonia?!
Anyway 2 weeks ago I was back home, and after the usual bleach cleaning ceremony I left the eggs, toilet paper and a bleach cleaning spray on the table... in the morning my spouse said yeah lets have a party!!

rich66

Reaction score
I watched a programme the other day about shortages of food and they said there’s no real shortage of flour, the real problem was that the supply of paper bags was running at capacity 24/7 so no more could be processed than was being printed.