Every Picture Tells a Story

@Clive

Reaction score
I have just been looking back on the posts made back in my previous life on here. This section seems to have died a death yet there must be many photos out there that are worth sharing. After all, everyone now has a camera in their pocket (barring technofiles like Skippy). So here are a few of mine along with the story behind them.

Cobles on Roxby Beck.JPG

Moorings - Staithes print.jpg

This is Roxby Beck at Staithes. I used to be in a small fishing club at work and Staithes was where we used to go. The boatman Harold Armstrong was from a family that had lived there since the Viking days. He had run away to sea at 14 and had been on the Liberty ships sailing from America during the war. Staithes was a Viking stronghold and the little harbour was where the boats were anchored over winter. To get these shots I had to climb over the railings and lie on the narrow ledge. It could only be done at high tide in or around May to get the boats and the sunlight. Too early and the sun wasn't high enough to clear the cliffs. Too late and the boats would be in the outer harbour. The second photo was taken on a dull day so mono film was used. The camera for this photo cost a fiver from Cash Convertors.

Sunset at Wentworth Church.JPG

This is Wentworth Church between Rotherham and Barnsley. When I was a police dog handler I spent half my life at Wentworth on training courses. We had the run of the estate. To get this photo meant being on the road near to the garden centre just before sunset. The camera had to be on a tripod as the lens was 300mm and would have been subject to camera shake. Because the sun sets on a diagonal path I had to guess where it would line up with the opposite windows of the church. It could only be done in about 6 days in the end of July providing the cloud cover was not too heavy and the alignment was only perfect for a few seconds.

Cyclamen on Akamas 3-04 (2).JPG

Cyclamen populate the Akamas penninsular in Cyprus in February and March. We had a holiday home there and used to go every spring and autumn for the flowers and bird migrations. This was another photo that meant laying on the ground. In this case on a goat track. The depth of field was critical to get the flowers and the background sharp. To be sure I took lots of photos using different settings and then waited for the slides to come back hoping one or two would be OK. No digital preview in those days.

Château d'Azay-le-Rideau.jpg

The chateau is at Azay le Riddeau. We were visiting with friends and there were a lot of Japanese tourists loitering about and I had to wait until they had cleared off to take this photo. It was another that meant laying on the ground to get a better composition. About a million Japanese photographers had stood in the same place and none of them would have got the punt in their photos. I think that it makes the shot.

Right. Over to you. :)

mikench

Reaction score
A great post Clive. I was once keen on photography as my collection of SLR cameras and lenses demonstrate . I bought a Nikon D70 when they first came out and a Sony compact some years later but I now rely on my iPhone. As you say one is rarely without the phone and they are capable of taking decent snaps. Mine is a 6s and therefore basic unlike the latest iterations.
In mo particular order here a few snaps taken with the iPhone in and around Nice where I live for parts of the year.

3DDDDD14-FE79-4DC3-80C5-E347A17E9F59.jpeg

53E462ED-772A-4F43-85E5-DC6C3021A698.jpeg

Cagnes sur mer with Er indoors.

1F8D9306-6A39-491F-B526-06881EE05D21.jpeg

The Promenade des Anglais.

CB0F259E-44FD-4006-BE8A-36BB23C240E4.jpeg

The view from my terrasse over the valley of the Var.

78D2B9A2-5B44-49DA-B6AA-BF7474407F11.jpeg

Taken with my Sony at 30x optical zoom.
I like to try the odd illusory pic when the opportunity arises. This is eldest dotter in Piza.

66785284-9DF4-49C7-8927-52056709A631.jpeg

I also like sunset pics particularly of a red sunset like this.

8F96D685-3B9B-41E9-95B4-4B188B5B188F.jpeg

This was in Dubai.
This in Nice
CA214001-73FF-4AEA-A2D6-CDEBD60B34EA.jpeg

@Clive

Reaction score
Dogs have been a big part of my life since paying 5/- for a mongrel farm dog around 1963 when I was 7 years old.

zara .jpg

Zara came to me aged around 14 months having outgrown her first home. She was an incredible dog and could work a beating line, pick up from hide shooting or walking up, take down a man and play with young children. This photo was taken using a small Olympus camera the size of a cigarette packet. I switched on the flash and self timer, wedged the camera between stones then attracted her attention while the timer was running down. A random shot that worked.

Jet Portrait.JPG

Jet was my next dog. He was assigned to me in 1997 when I became a police dog handler. He was a difficult dog to get to know and had to be mellowed by changing his diet. Even then he slept with one eye open and I had to have eyes in the back of my head. He got me into nearly as many scrapes as he got me out of. I took this photo when he was in his prime. The low sun and bail of straw background give him a regal appearance.

Jaf and Jet.JPG

My second police dog was Jaf. They were chalk and cheese. Jaf needed a chage of diet to spark him up and whereas Jet was often difficult to train Jaf just read the manual then performed perfectly. I framed this shot to show the 'pup' with his mentor looking on from a distance.

DSC00266.jpg

Ruby, or Roobs as we called her was offered to the police by a rescue centre. I went out to view her in her home and whilst I knew that she would never make a police dog I couldn't bear to leave here where she was. My wife and I had decided to be dog less after her terrier died and I left the dog section. Roobs was the first of two dogs we were never supposed to have. She was a total basket case and it took us over two years to sort her many issues. Despite all her fears and anxiety she became a valuable member of our shoot, mothered young dogs that had been donated to the police and was a loving pet. She is buried in our garden in France and we still miss her. This photo shows one of her many funny expressions. "What's he doing?"

@Clive

Reaction score
Just two today.

A few years ago I fell into a bad crowd who were addicted to fly-fishing for mullet. I should have known better. Anyway, one of my addict friends was in the fishing tackle game and imported some floating lures called Trout Poppers. I did the product photos and also did some publicity photos for him. This photo was one of those. Sadly my desktop computer died a few days before we moved to France taking thousands of full size images with it. This photo has been slightly cropped and my logo added, otherwise it is just as it came out of the camera. It is the only one left from the batch.

Trout Take.jpg

Back in South Yorkshire I used to fly-fish the River Dearne for trout, grayling and coarse fish. One day in early June I was trout fishing and came across a pool full of minnows that were leaping the small sill of a weir. The little fish behaved just like salmon in that they swam along the edge of the weir seeking out where the flow was weakest then came around to leap it at that point. Once they had, or if they had, got onto the sill they had to swim like buggery in half inch of fast flowing water to clear the foot wide sill. The pool below was stuffed full of minnows and chub of 8oz up to 5lb plus were steaming into them from below. The migration was still going on the next day when I returned with a camera.

MinnowsHorizontalExtremeCloseup.jpg

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
When the latest bridge over the River Forth estuary was being built I managed this panorama shot. Just managed to get all three bridges in the frame, took me some time to find the best location.
Hope this panorama can load on the forum page.....

panoramio-130719807.jpg

The Queensferry Crossing was something to behold during construction, very clever engineering feat!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Another Panorama. Taken today but this time on my phone, again not sure if the file will load. Here goes.....

PANO_20221228_140615.jpg

This is a local scenic spot often used as a launch point for hang-gliders. Just east of Cajarc, shows a big loop in the Lot valley and it must be a few hundred feet of a drop just in front of me!

Last edited:

Borderline

Reaction score
View attachment Michael 3.jpg
Thia is Michael in his now closed pet shop. He'd worked there man and boy but Pets at Home etc just drove him out of business.
Particularly pleased with this, I took it on a Nikon F3HP with Ilford film and got the metering just right (no full auto).

Edit: don't know why the image isn't showing without clicking the link.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It’s showing for me.

Black and white photographs are more atmospheric somehow. Those old pet shops had a smell of their own. The nearest pet shop where I live sold bait and a bit of tackle. I think the smell in that shop came from the oil that they treated the keep and landing nets with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Clive

Reaction score
View attachment 26527
Thia is Michael in his now closed pet shop. He'd worked there man and boy but Pets at Home etc just drove him out of business.
Particularly pleased with this, I took it on a Nikon F3HP with Ilford film and got the metering just right (no full auto).

Edit: don't know why the image isn't showing without clicking the link.
Ilford film. That's a blast from the past. :)

The darkroom at work had a fridge with some Ilford 3200 iso film in it that had been untouched for years despite it being free to any club members. I took a roll and did some industrial shots around an old canal warehouse. When I developed the roll it looked like I had been out in a blizzard of hailstones. Gritty didn't do it justice.

The documentary type of portrait like you have done makes powerful images. A thousand words in one picture.

Borderline

Reaction score
Ilford film. That's a blast from the past. :)

The darkroom at work had a fridge with some Ilford 3200 iso film in it that had been untouched for years despite it being free to any club members. I took a roll and did some industrial shots around an old canal warehouse. When I developed the roll it looked like I had been out in a blizzard of hailstones. Gritty didn't do it justice.

The documentary type of portrait like you have done makes powerful images. A thousand words in one picture.
Thanks. I have a shed load of that type of thing. I used to do a lot of street/documentary photography years ago, it just got a bit expensive with all the film I used to shoot.

@Clive

Reaction score
Thanks. I have a shed load of that type of thing. I used to do a lot of street/documentary photography years ago, it just got a bit expensive with all the film I used to shoot.
We have a Cartier-Bresson in our midst. I'm impressed :)

Borderline

Reaction score
We have a Cartier-Bresson in our midst. I'm impressed :)
Hardly. My site was second ranked on google for street photography back in the day and it got a good review in Black and White photography magazine but I only ever made £30 out of it!
If anyone's interested here's an early surviving version of my site, it did expand to have a lot more images but I stopped paying for the hosting:
Photo site