Every Picture Tells a Story

Borderline

Reaction score
If you want a picture with a real story look at this one. It's in the woods somewhere like Poland I believe during WW2.
the woman is holding the hand of her son and holding a toddler in her arms.
She is being shot for being Jewish.
Only she is afforded a bullet, it is assumed the fall will kill the children as they drop into the mass grave.
Nazi and Jews.jpg

@Clive

Reaction score
Hardly. My site was second ranked on google for street photography back in the day and it got a good review in Black and White photography magazine but I only ever made £30 out of it!
If anyone's interested here's an early surviving version of my site, it did expand to have a lot more images but I stopped paying for the hosting:
Photo site
I made a loss from my photography. That was because I offset the costs of holidays against the proceeds from selling the photos taken on the holidays. That way I paid no tax on my sales or the surplus from my ebay trading. :)

mikench

Reaction score
I enjoyed viewing your photos Borderline. Black and white is so stark yet evocative. I wonder how many Alan’s there are still on our streets. There are a lot of homeless here in France begging and mostly Roma but ,unless I am hardened to it, I find them disingenuous and pretending to be poor. I never give them a cent. Years ago I did give a homeless elderly Algerian a few euro coins as he was so pathetic. I learned from my butcher that he had suffered in the war for independence during the sixties fighting for the French and was an outcast within his own community. I gave him all the loose change accumulated plus around 50 euros which he never forgot. He died last year. I continue to thank my lucky stars.😔

@Clive

Reaction score
Found a few more on an old computer. The first is the beach at Polis in Cyprus where we used to holiday each year. The second was taken at Aphrodite beach near Paphos.

Polis Beach at Sunset.JPG

Aprodite Rocks & Moon (Landscape).JPG

I took this photo of a scopoli spider when holidaying in the Loire Atlantique about 25 years ago. They are in all the roadside verges.

ScopoliSpider.jpg

The last one is the old lifeboat station at Runswick Bay. After our usual boatman at Staithes died our fishing club used to hire a boat that was kept in the old lifeboat shed. They used a tractor and trailer to launch whereas the lifeboat crew had to have horses on standby. The winch in the foreground brought the lifeboat up the ramp.

runswick boathouse.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It was Ray who posted a sunset featuring the Hard Rock Cafe.

Coincidentally the sun is just going down at the Mirage Hotel in Pattaya. It will be the last one we will see in Thailand for a while. As we ate flying home just after midnight.
IMG_1701.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Nice photo Ray. I have always enjoyed my visits to Thailand. Your month has gone rapidly. Safe journey back.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had a fantastic time out there Mike, but it doesn’t take long for reality to set in.

The Thai people are so; polite, kind and respectful. The kids stand for older people or disabled people as do adults. Taxi drivers stop the traffic to let older or disabled people cross the road.

By contrast, we met the cab driver in arrivals and went with him to the car park. My wife can’t walk long distances and was in a wheelchair. The cab driver was paying for his parking when this a/hole, who was just passing by, said loudly into his phone; “Yeah, this place is full of f,(!ing cripples, there’s wheelchairs everywhere, I can’t even get to the payment machine.” He said this to be deliberately offensive to my wife. I was initially a bit taken aback to say the least. I replied;”Do you want to repeat that, then we will see who’s a ****ing cripple, you absolute c@&t.” Had there been no CCTV or dozens of witnesses I would have turned the smug git inside out. He backed off and just then a woman called out to him and they walked off towards where he had parked his car. I pushed my wife to the cab, following and haranguing this tosser the entire way. I was seething. Like most bullies he was just a coward. I thought to myself bloody hell, you’ve only been back ten minutes and you’ve had a row and nearly a punch up, lol.

mikench

Reaction score
I know what you mean Ray. My youngest dotter who lives near you arrived back at Heathrow last Wednesday from a trip to South Africa. She said as she tried to get an Uber that she thought she had landed in Mumbai. We might have had an empire once but we couldn’t run a cinema of that name now.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had a brilliant morning spent in East London doing some street photography and capturing some of the graffiti for a project. I couldn’t visit Brick Lane without sampling a salt beef beigel from the best beigel shop in London. I don’t like the crappy tags that kids do that deface buildings etc, but the one’s here are like an assault on your senses.

_MG_7498.jpg

_MG_7476.jpg

_MG_7397.jpg

_MG_7475.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
The Dala horse or red horse is the symbol of Sweden and seen everywhere . This is the largest in the world allegedly in Avesta which we called in to see .

43b8dccd-8e97-4046-95e7-13f6acb10f53.jpeg