Every Picture Tells a Story

mikench

Reaction score
The local river

IMG_6141.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
When I dropped in to visit Mikench briefly, I promised to keep putting up photos of my local river. So as I am bored at the moment I just trawled up this one of Cajarc and the Lot above the town barrage......

Heights panorama Cajarc.jpg

I have had plenty of barbel here and there are carp but, so far, they have evaded me. Not a reliable stretch to fish, needs a flow but being upstream of the barrage it's often more like a lake.

@Clive

Reaction score
A few from our latest trip to Maastricht. Neither of us had heard of Andre Rieu and his Johanne Straus Orchestra until the covid lockdown when Little Wife came across some of his concerts on the tv. We added attending a concert to our bucket list and while he performs all over the world, for us it had to be his home venue of Maastricht. The 12 concerts run through July with 12,000 people from over 100 countries at each one. The town square is taken over as the venue and local businesses do very well out of it. Maastricht is worth a visit in its own right.

20230705_213013_pvNfmyFV33.jpeg

The concerts start at 9pm and everyone gets there early to take advantage of the bars and restaurants, some of which screen the concerts.

20230706_191253_1ID90am14p.jpeg

20230706_201520_bollzyYV7o.jpeg

The first 'act' took us by surprise.

20230706_213714_181PUHKm04.jpeg

There must have been 100 pipers from all over Europe. It was haunting as they all marched down the aisles and almost filled the stage. Then as darkness fell the main event unfurled.

20230706_223202_fyVu6p4x7U.jpeg

20230706_232243_keh4Xkiv8M.jpeg
20230706_232318_xf9M1BP69V.jpeg

For me the two events I will never forget were Emma Kok, a tiny girl with a voice like Edith Piaf.

And the Orchestra's rendition of Balero that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

We stopped off at Brugges on the way back having caught the train via Liege.

20230708_202246_resize_46.jpg

20230707_184238_MGmyOeL68w.jpeg

20230707_180745_CIsDa3p39Q.jpeg

A coach took us to the airport at Brussels for an afternoon flight back to Bordeaux. It is definitely something we will be doing again.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
And the Orchestra's rendition of Balero that made thechairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Busy was it.🙈

mikench

Reaction score
IMG_6526.jpeg

just rescued this butterfly, a comma I believe, which had flown into the conservatory and non the worse for the experience.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
This ‘Box wood Moth’ is one of the reasons I had to dig up my dying box wood hedge recently.

I found this ‘Rose Chafer’ on my patio.

Keith

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
I went to a nearby village to walk the dog and check if the two peregrines I saw last month had set up home in the old quarry. They had, and were busy feeding a noisy brood. Too far away for me to photograph though so I picked on some more static subjects.

St Germain de Confolens Chateau 4_resize_13.jpg

St Germain de Confolens Chateau 3_resize_34.jpg

St Germain de Confolens Blue door Detail_resize_78.jpg

Iron Plaque Detail_resize_24.jpg

Reeds 2_resize_37.jpg

@Clive

Reaction score
Turned down the chance to go fishing today. Both of the big rivers are well up and I don't like flood water fishing. Also, it was only 1C overnight with a max of 10C by the afternoon. Instead I went out with the camera....

Cofolens Gare Blue Train 2902_resize_60.jpg

Confolens Yellow Pink Doorway_resize_27.jpg

2CV Abandoned in Woodland_resize_11.jpg

Glane Sign Roger Bissirieix Resistence_resize_6.jpg

Chaillac Mausoleum Front Low Aspect_resize_23.jpg

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
After digging out an old digital camera I found this shot on the SD card. When I snapped this shot I did not expect a decent result, the x18 zoom was near its maximum and we were in a boat whilst feeding the sea eagles, it would take a miracle for the camera shake suppression to work!

But somehow it did work, even catching the seagull desperately trying to catch a share of the meal!

1709226364074~2.jpg

@Clive

Reaction score
You did well to keep focus on those moving targets. I prefer more sedate subjects. While out on mole-patrol lite today I stopped off at an 11th century church that has connections to the Knights Templars and Hospitaliers.

Cellefrouin Church Chancel & Side_resize_0.jpg

I came across this feature set into the outside wall and have been unsuccessfully trying to find out what is the story behind it. It looks like a Princess or Queen, blindfolded and somewhat upset....

Cellefrouin Church Detail blindolded woman_resize_26.jpg

There were others inside equally intriguing. :unsure:

But then I got distracted by this...

Richier Road Roller Low View left front 2_resize_72.jpg

Richier Road Roller Driving Position _resize_58.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

Keith M

Reaction score
That blindfolded woman (or man) with the crown looks very intriguing. Let us know If you do find anything about her (or him) Clive.

NB: there doesn’t seem to be an Adam’s apple so I would guess that it’s a woman.

Keith

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
That blindfolded woman (or man) with the crown looks very intriguing. Let us know If you do find anything about her (or him) Clive.

NB: there doesn’t seem to be an Adam’s apple so I would guess that it’s a woman.

Keith
The stone that the image is on looks to be newer than the church wall. It has probably been added more recently. I think it may be related to the Revolution. The church was patronaged by the nobility from La Rochefoucauld from the medieval period and is one of the most important in the region. There is a faded heraldic banner and coat of arms inside that could be related. She may have been on her way to see Madame Guillotine. That would fit the deposed crown and blindfold.

I will let you know if I find anything.