Every Picture Tells a Story

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
You did well to keep focus on those moving targets. I prefer more sedate subjects. While out on mole-patrol lite today I stopped off at an 11th century church that has connections to the Knights Templars and Hospitaliers.

View attachment 29612

I came across this feature set into the outside wall and have been unsuccessfully trying to find out what is the story behind it. It looks like a Princess or Queen, blindfolded and somewhat upset....

View attachment 29613

There were others inside equally intriguing. :unsure:

But then I got distracted by this...

View attachment 29615

View attachment 29616

:ROFLMAO:

I would think that the crown that has slipped must have some meaning.

@Clive

Reaction score
I would think that the crown that has slipped must have some meaning.
I've been doing some research. Whilst there are acedemic studies on the structure of the church, its arches and some of the details inside and outside, there is no mention of this figure.

The church was built around 1000AD on the site of a Roman hall. The small village is situated in a narrow valley and whilst the village has always been small, the passing traffic so to speak made it important. The Rochefoucauld family were the patrons. They have recently sold the grand chateau they have owned for over 1,000 years. In the day they were one of the three most important families in Europe. I could make out their distinctive three red chevrons in a friese on the wall inside the church. The painting looks like it has been damaged. That could be the result of vandalism during the later Revolution. But the chevrons are just visible.

Cellefrouin Church Detailheraldic symbol stars_resize_80.jpg

In the late 17th century a Countesse from the family was patron of the church at the time of the Religious Wars between the Catholics and Hugenots. There are records of battles and executions in the local area and whilst is no conclusive link to prove the theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if Countesse Besse is the unfortunate figure in the sculpture.