Eyed or spade?

mikench

Reaction score
I use the cralusso quick change swivels so I can change my hook lengths quickly and easily to suit any hook or hair rig.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have never used them, seem them and other variations. Do you incorporate the weight into your dropper shot ,?
The only quick change adaptors I use are on inline feeder or straight lead rigs.
At one time I would have half a dozen hooklengths baited ready to change over on a feeder rig. One off, one on,Feeder packed and ready to go and cast out.

peytr

Reaction score
do you use the smallest loops you can get away with .Or loops of around 3/4" to 1"
I gradually adapted to the smallest I can handle, which is a bit under 10mm. First I used a stonfo tool to regulate loop width but the I was restricted to double overhand loops. I started using a loop tyer to get figure of eight loops just a while ago and this produces small loops with a consistant length of 9mm stretched, which equals a diameter of 6mm. For short: as small as possible.

mikench

Reaction score
I have never used them, seem them and other variations. Do you incorporate the weight into your dropper shot ,?
The only quick change adaptors I use are on inline feeder or straight lead rigs.
At one time I would have half a dozen hooklengths baited ready to change over on a feeder rig. One off, one on,Feeder packed and ready to go and cast out.
I do. They are my shot usually. Drennan do them as well.

nottskev

Reaction score
I quite like "swan neck" ( is there a proper word for them) loop tyers, but I'm happy to tie lops by hand as well. I chucked a couple out as the plastic was a bit rough/burred and the loop would stick as you moved it. But cheap enough.

I always loop to looped hooklengths, but a couple of years back I started tying hooklengths on rigs for small to medium fish with a knot favoured by one of the all time match fishing greats a twice-through water knot. I was very sceptical. Super-neat, but surely it can't be strong enough? To my surprise it's yet to fail, and gets the odd severe test from unexpected captures. I still loop to loop or straight through if I'm aiming at bigger stuff, though. It's no good if you need a measured hooklength of x inches for whatever reason, but I don't generally take a ruler to my set ups.

nottskev

Reaction score
I use the cralusso quick change swivels so I can change my hook lengths quickly and easily to suit any hook or hair rig.

I bought some of those Mike. Not for the first time, I lost them before I got around to trying them. Sure sign of too much gear on my part.

mikench

Reaction score
I have lost track of the amount of small swivels, quick change beads and swivels I have bought and misplaced , supposedly having put them in a safe place for when needed. I have similar feelings of angst at those I have dropped on the bank never to be seen again. Green and cameo colours are not to confuse fish but to promote sales to anglers dropping them in the grass or mud.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
For me it’s spade end for direct hooking, eyed for hair rigs. 95% + of my fishing is on commercial venues.

The Guru hooks to nylon are superb and they cover most of my fishing. I do often shorten them but rarely have a problem using them. I asked Adam Rooney of Guru how they are tied and he confirmed they are all hand tied.

When I do tie hooks, it’s in a nice comfortable environment, with good lighting, that enables me to tie them well.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I quite like "swan neck" ( is there a proper word for them) loop tyers, but I'm happy to tie lops by hand as well. I chucked a couple out as the plastic was a bit rough/burred and the loop would stick as you moved it. But cheap enough.

I always loop to looped hooklengths, but a couple of years back I started tying hooklengths on rigs for small to medium fish with a knot favoured by one of the all time match fishing greats a twice-through water knot. I was very sceptical. Super-neat, but surely it can't be strong enough? To my surprise it's yet to fail, and gets the odd severe test from unexpected captures. I still loop to loop or straight through if I'm aiming at bigger stuff, though. It's no good if you need a measured hooklength of x inches for whatever reason, but I don't generally take a ruler to my set ups.
I used to use a 4 turn water knot for my light pole rigs, for the canal and a couple of club pools.
I think it gave a better presentation than loop to loop.

Reaction score
I have used loop to loop for all my float fishing,for barbel fishing I tie a loop in the hooklink and use a quick change swivel and anti tangle sleeve,no problems,either presentation wise,or for quick changes...

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
20211208_092435.jpg
prepare to be A̶m̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ amazed! ?

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
Sat in the car, poor light, wind rocking the car, no scissors to cut the tag end and other excuses not yet thought of....

Size 14 guru to .14mm 4.5lb ?
20211208_100901.jpg

20211208_100754.jpg

A better environment and a few more whips around the hook and I will be fine?

Philip

Reaction score
Good stuff.

I notice one of the patterns you went for seems to be the Guru LWG barbless, the interesting thing is that appears to be one of the patterns of hooks available in sizes down to at least 20 in both spade and eye versions.. Both also appear to have the same wire gauge too. I think anyway.

This means an unbiased comparison could be made between the exact same hook in eyed & spade should you wish by getting the eyed version as well and fishing both of them e.g fish 2 rods or swapping the hook in the session etc etc to see if you notice any difference. Obviously we probably cannot determine much over just 1 session but it could be interesting/fun to try never the less.

As you started the thread asking which is best I would imagine you are going to be unbiased in their apprasial as well.

A picture as they say paints a thousand words. It would be interesting to see how the fish react to the difference between these. Its also worth noting that the photo below has no scale so we dont know what size or magnifycation is going on here. Obviously the actual physical difference becomes smaller & smaller as the hooks size goes down ;

1638963015364.png

Last edited: