Float making.

Aknib

Reaction score
I cant see your pics. It just says FW1 JPG

Sorry mate the forum suffered a glitch last week and some of the images were wiped out, the first three are the float and the second two are from the first session with it...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

av1.JPG

av2.JPG

Aknib

Reaction score
Incidentally I did manage to hastily finish the (as it turned out not so identical) twin black tipped version which I took with me during the same session but I never got around to using it on the day.

Very much along the same lines, built like a brick outhouse with an extra stout tip and stem which will be weaving its way through some nice glides between the ranunculus come the new season...

IMG_6257.JPG

IMG_6261.JPG

IMG_6262.JPG

IMG_6264.JPG

Aknib

Reaction score
The Trent cobbles are very shiny, Steve.

It's the wet look Gaz, if I can't get to the river then I've always got a bit of the river at home! :ROFLMAO:

Had a bit of a knock up again this afternoon, from the very first time I clapped eyes on one I've wanted to make a stepped Tench lifter. It's early days but going ok so far, three steps of reed down to a final, fourth section of cane with balsa body and tip with a cane insert to whip the eye onto...

IMG_6352.JPG

At 13" long it's a biggie too and should be ideal on the windswept gravel pits where I intend to use it.

Just sorting out a colour scheme, whipping colour and pattern but I'm back at work tomorrow so it may be some time (if ever!) before I can post the finished float.

Keith M

Reaction score
It's the wet look Gaz, if I can't get to the river then I've always got a bit of the river at home! :ROFLMAO:

Had a bit of a knock up again this afternoon, from the very first time I clapped eyes on one I've wanted to make a stepped Tench lifter. It's early days but going ok so far, three steps of reed down to a final, fourth section of cane with balsa body and tip with a cane insert to whip the eye onto...

View attachment 13809

At 13" long it's a biggie too and should be ideal on the windswept gravel pits where I intend to use it.

Just sorting out a colour scheme, whipping colour and pattern but I'm back at work tomorrow so it may be some time (if ever!) before I can post the finished float.

That’s a great looking float Aknib; but just a thought; wouldn’t it have been a lot simpler and a lot less time consuming to use a single ‘tapered’ peacock quill or goose quill to make your float with?

Keith

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
That’s a great looking float Aknib; but just a thought; wouldn’t it have been a lot simpler and a lot less time consuming to use a single ‘tapered’ peacock quill or goose quill to make your float with?

Keith

Thanks Keith, yes it would have been simpler but I just wanted to see if I could do it really and I've already made a few reverse taper quill stemmed floats albeit without the sight bob although you've given me an idea for the future as I reckon they would look and work really nice .

Against all the odds after returning to work full time last week I've managed to get it painted and whipped up so i'll get some varnish on it and post a couple of pics as soon as it's dried :)

Aknib

Reaction score
That looks like a beast of a Tench float Steve.

I can easily imagine it as it moves slightly as the mist rises off of the lake surface, surrounded by the bubbles from feeding tench, as you watch and wait for the rise . . .

I've not tested it yet Peter but I reckon about five swan, i'm hoping the cane tip section will rise to the first splice with something like a no.1 shot.

It's definitely going to get a dunking on the large gravel pits that I fish, as you know the good thing with this method is it's not really the weight of the float that matters as much as the shot that's being lifted to register the bite so i'd be just as happy using it close in on smaller waters, the bulk at two thirds depth and whatever tell tale I need to suit the conditions.

Not that it's likely any time soon, I start seventeen straight days in work from Wednesday all the way through Easter and beyond and i'm currently staring 8㎡ of bathroom tiles in the face, despite my best efforts i've not manged to will them out of their boxes and onto the walls :(

Reaction score
The efgeeco hook wallet and creel are fresh out of the museum Steve...