For the introduction of non-lethal means of control of the Otter

jasonbean1

Reaction score
You know I am heartily sick of your constant insults on your posts, you are without doubt the most rude person I have encountered on this forum and I am not the only one that thinks it either considering the PMs I have had about your rudeness, I could sink to your level but wont as I don't need to insult all and sundry to put my side of an argument forward and to that end I will place you on my ignore list.

Come on, I never took you for being the sensitive type!:target::target:

thecrow

Reaction score
Come on, I never took you for being the sensitive type!:target::target:

Not usually Jason but I and others that have PMd me have had enough of the name calling and treating others as idiots, everyone has a right to their opinion and others have the right to challenge those opinions but name calling, and insults have no place in any debate.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Personally I think Anglers should be championing the otters case after all a healthy otter population should indicate a healthy set of river systems with a sustainable fish population.

We should , instead , be campaigning against the myriad other causes of poor water quality and poor fish recruitment - pollution, Dredging , agricultural pesticide run off etc. etc.

Rather than that we have this short sighted knee jerk reaction and a campaign which would change angling from a harmless gentle pastime , in the eyes of many , to a full on bloodsport.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
You know I am heartily sick of your constant insults on your posts, you are without doubt the most rude person I have encountered on this forum and I am not the only one that thinks it either considering the PMs I have had about your rudeness, I could sink to your level but wont as I don't need to insult all and sundry to put my side of an argument forward and to that end I will place you on my ignore list.
Funny that because I've had quite a few PMs about your rudeness and attempts to deliberately wined people up on this and other topics. Then whinging like you are the innocent and aggrieved party!
What it is with you, is you don't like people pointing out you are wrong even when you are! Tough that, as I'll always point out your shortcomings when you're incorrect.

Lesion for you, "Bullsh1t doesn't and never has baffle brains!

lutra

Reaction score
Funny that because I've had quite a few PMs about your rudeness and attempts to deliberately wined people up on this and other topics. Then whinging like you are the innocent and aggrieved party!
What it is with you, is you don't like people pointing out you are wrong even when you are! Tough that, as I'll always point out your shortcomings when you're incorrect.

Lesion for you, "Bullsh1t doesn't and never has baffle brains!

Welcome to crows ignore list club, I'm sure you will enjoy it here. We are much more in tune with things like nature, reality and the real world. I'm sure you won't want to leave as its a place with one less blinkered angler you need to talk to.:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I watched a bunch of women last night who while trying to get the law changed got repeatedly badly beaten up by the Government, put in prison, starved, lost their children and killed. Yet they soldiered on and despite the abuse and insults and bullying and repeatedly told they had no chance they got the law changed. They never had the luxury of an on line petition to put to parliament to help them either. So stuff it, I will sign; just out of principle.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Personally I think Anglers should be championing the otters case after all a healthy otter population should indicate a healthy set of river systems with a sustainable fish population.

We should , instead , be campaigning against the myriad other causes of poor water quality and poor fish recruitment - pollution, Dredging , agricultural pesticide run off etc. etc.

Rather than that we have this short sighted knee jerk reaction and a campaign which would change angling from a harmless gentle pastime , in the eyes of many , to a full on bloodsport.

Humphhhh,obviously Venus has a healthy fish and otter population,with plenty of LSD...:friendly_wink::cheerful:

Reaction score
I think you will find that there will be a counter petition very soon. Not by the otters but by a lot of concerned organisations.

No doubt Peter,its a pity that people do not understand the issues around the country,not just inside their own goldfish bowl,it seems that river systems can be written off on the premise that it will a be good in the future,that is balls as our rivers are under threat from crayfish,cormorants,agricultural practice, effluent mismanagement and otters,hopefully there will be some fish to let me fish my rivers till I die,I fear for that and anything longer...

thecrow

Reaction score

Should do unfortunately doesn't equate to does Benny, lots of rivers have gone downhill since the reintroductions coincidence?

Yes anglers and others should be trying to get something done about the appalling quality of our rivers but those with the power to change things are not interested, there are ways of filtering some of the diffuse pollutants from our water before discharge from treatment plants but it costs money and that would impinge on profits and that's not going to happen. Most of the public have no idea of what is in their drinking water, a clear river is thought of as a clean river when it isn't 17% of our rivers classed as good is not good enough but government have had almost 18 years to achieve better results which imo is ample proof that they are not interested.

I cant agree with your "knee jerk reaction" unless you know when or how long this petition has been in the pipeline? The problems caused by otters to fisheries have been going on for a long time as have the claim by some organisations that angling is a blood sport which imo it isn't, I don't see these organisations having any success in mobilising the public against angling any more than I see them doing anything about the state of our rivers, anglers should be very wary of aligning themselves with other organisations as most will have their own agenda which wont include anglers but they will want their support until after they achieve their aims.

I will if ok just ask one question, is it just anglers responsibility to campaign for cleaner rivers because I don't see any success by anyone else?

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have watched this thread with interest and fully understand the emotions which it creates! I have an innate mistrust of salesman at the door, roofers who are allegedly working down the street and if I may say so half baked petitions placed on a forum! I like otters but I also like fishing and fully support fishery owners and Angling clubs concern over the loss of their stock and the damage otters can cause.

However just as cats kill birds, dogs attack humans and other dogs, mankind inflicts unbelievable horrors on mankind so otters will eat fish! Successive governments have failed to look after our watercourses and lakes and pollution of our world continues unabated. Sadly in a vote for the otter or anglers there will be only one conclusion! Ever since A Ring of bright water the otter has been almost deified as a loveable mammal which deserves better, which should be reintroduced and allowed to do what it does best! The fact that it kills fish and not just for food is conveniently overlooked! We cannot control crayfish, cormorants, gulls, mitten crabs, Japanese knotweed and the list goes on and none of these can be described as cuddly furry creatures! An otter in a river or lake equates to water purity( wrongly) in most people's eyes but it is a good sign in the overall scheme of things.

The otter is with us whatever we do!

thecrow

Reaction score
I have watched this thread with interest and fully understand the emotions which it creates! I have an innate mistrust of salesman at the door, roofers who are allegedly working down the street and if I may say so half baked petitions placed on a forum! I like otters but I also like fishing and fully support fishery owners and Angling clubs concern over the loss of their stock and the damage otters can cause.

However just as cats kill birds, dogs attack humans and other dogs, mankind inflicts unbelievable horrors on mankind so otters will eat fish! Successive governments have failed to look after our watercourses and lakes and pollution of our world continues unabated. Sadly in a vote for the otter or anglers there will be only one conclusion! Ever since A Ring of bright water the otter has been almost deified as a loveable mammal which deserves better, which should be reintroduced and allowed to do what it does best! The fact that it kills fish and not just for food is conveniently overlooked! We cannot control crayfish, cormorants, gulls, mitten crabs, Japanese knotweed and the list goes on and none of these can be described as cuddly furry creatures! An otter in a river or lake equates to water purity( wrongly) in most people's eyes but it is a good sign in the overall scheme of things.

The otter is with us whatever we do!

I don't think anglers want to see an end to otters, it would be silly to expect anything like that and from a personal point of view its not what I would want, what some me included want is a control on the numbers of otters, they are an apex predator nothing predates on adult otters and what we have in this country is an explosion of them doing untold damage to wildlife.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I don't think anglers want to see an end to otters, it would be silly to expect anything like that and from a personal point of view its not what I would want, what some me included want is a control on the numbers of otters, they are an apex predator nothing predates on adult otters and what we have in this country is an explosion of them doing untold damage to wildlife.

One of the biggest causes of death among otters is other otters , they fight each other for territory.
Its very common among apex predators.

Life expectancy for British otters is half what it should be because of pollutants.

Another major cause of death is cars.

I disagree that nothing predates on Adult otters.
The scientific research is out there but it takes a lot of effort to find and read it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with otters, only ever seen them once. I am only on the petition to annoy people. Especially take the Micheal Gove and some civil servant somewhere, bet they wish we didn't exist. In fact I think I might sign them all from now on, is there one for the re-introduction of Dinosaurs, that will do. I have a new hobby, pass away a few wet afternoons.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with otters, only ever seen them once. I am only on the petition to annoy people. Especially take the Micheal Gove and some civil servant somewhere, bet they wish we didn't exist. In fact I think I might sign them all from now on, is there one for the re-introduction of Dinosaurs, that will do. I have a new hobby, pass away a few wet afternoons.

Wow, there's hundreds of them, just had a look, I may be some time.