Go on, treat yourself!

Robbie C

Reaction score
Having just taken up fishing again after 30 years, I plan on being by the water as soon as the lockdown is over. So I’ve had to start my tackle collection again from scratch. I have one float rod,and with limited finances treated myself to a John Wilson 11-13 ft twin tip 1.25 Avon rod. This should give me lots of options for different set ups as I’m a one rod man.

d.owens

Reaction score
Having just taken up fishing again after 30 years, I plan on being by the water as soon as the lockdown is over. So I’ve had to start my tackle collection again from scratch. I have one float rod,and with limited finances treated myself to a John Wilson 11-13 ft twin tip 1.25 Avon rod. This should give me lots of options for different set ups as I’m a one rod man.

I used a TF Gear all rounder rod for ages when I came back to fishing, it done me proud, still my main rod. I treated myself to a Diawa float rod for lighter fishing on the canal and for silvers in the lakes.
Have a bit of a scavenger hunt around the house and garden, bet you will find enough stuff to start making floats for when you can get back to the water; it gets a bit addictive!

Robbie C

Reaction score
W
I used a TF Gear all rounder rod for ages when I came back to fishing, it done me proud, still my main rod. I treated myself to a Diawa float rod for lighter fishing on the canal and for silvers in the lakes.
Have a bit of a scavenger hunt around the house and garden, bet you will find enough stuff to start making floats for when you can get back to the water; it gets a bit addictive!

Was that the 11-13 ft version. Just googled it, good value.

d.owens

Reaction score
W

Was that the 11-13 ft version. Just googled it, good value.

The TF Gear was from GoOutdoors, 8ft / 10ft float / feeder rod. I posted a brief review on here on tackle review section. It's a great rod for the cash, need something slightly more sensitive for targeting silvers or on the canal. Would recommend it to anyone.

Reaction score
They are an excellent buy for quality fish,especially for overgrown rivers or lakes,fair quality rings and comfortable in the hand....far too pokey for silvers though....

nottskev

Reaction score
I'll be treating myself to some trips to good waters, for sure, but it's the fishing not the shopping I'm missing, so more gear is not a priority. As it is (thanks mainly to keeping things rather than selling them on over decades) I could go fishing every day for a month and more with a different rod. Now there's an idea......

Reaction score
I'll be treating myself to some trips to good waters, for sure, but it's the fishing not the shopping I'm missing, so more gear is not a priority. As it is (thanks mainly to keeping things rather than selling them on over decades) I could go fishing every day for a month and more with a different rod. Now there's an idea......

Saying that,has anyone seen Martin Bowlers 'A fish for all seasons',in part one I believe there is a part where he is in his tackle room/garage preparing to go fishing,behind him there were two walls with made up rods leaning against them,no gaps,i thought I had a fair amount(maybe 20 rods and 3 poles),but I do sell unused or unwanted items...eventually,I reckon you and Mike together would struggle to compete with Mr. Bowler,lol....

Aknib

Reaction score
Saying that,has anyone seen Martin Bowlers 'A fish for all seasons',in part one I believe there is a part where he is in his tackle room/garage preparing to go fishing,behind him there were two walls with made up rods leaning against them,no gaps,i thought I had a fair amount(maybe 20 rods and 3 poles),but I do sell unused or unwanted items...eventually,I reckon you and Mike together would struggle to compete with Mr. Bowler,lol....

I saw that only recently Alan, having never watched it before and yes that particular part did strike me for just how many rods and reels there were banded together and rigged ready for action.

rayner

Reaction score
I delight in the fact that now I've thinned out my accumulation of rods, a more streamlined number of rods 5 in total.
I would have sold any worth anything, the trouble is they were totally shot.
I've never treated any tackle how it deserved, the first few times on the bank they would be cleaned after use then a case of dread set in. I suppose I have a deep dislike of cleaning. Culminating in a pile of detritus. New rods are cheap enough, far cheaper than the using up any spare time I had, or so I believe.

mikench

Reaction score
Martin Bowler said he hadn't fully appreciated the term deprived till he visited Kev and saw his Tackle .:rolleyes:

bracket

Reaction score
There are dubious advantages of the isolation regulations. With to pubs closed and no live sport on TV, I find I am losing lbs and gaining £s. I have decided to treat myself to a new fixed spool reel or more precisely as it's my birthday next month I will allow my Lady the pleasure. I have a fancy for a Shimano but want one I can back wind. I think I read somewhere that Shimano have dispensed with this facility. Is that the case or are there still models available with this feature. Not being able to go to a tackle shop for a hands on I would appreciate any advice. Price range would be up to £150. Pete.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm not aware of a Shimano model currently without a backwind. The one I would recommend is the Stradic C14 RA in either 4000 or 2500 size. It's backwind lever cannot be accidentally engaged either as it's slightly recessed. It's a beautiful and brilliant reel; light and a smooth operator and fighting drag is a feature well worth having. I have both and they are my favourite and best fs reels.

IMG_6307.jpg

nottskev

Reaction score
I bought a Stradic C14 RA, too, thoroughly recommended by Mike and Sam Vimes. I'm a big fan of the older Shimano's so I was a bit dubious and approached it with my usual fings ain't what they used to be approach to tackle.

I got the 4000, as I specifically wanted it for fishing bomb or light feeder for chub and barbel. I'd go for the 2500 for floatfishing. I've used it a few times, and I have to say I really like it. My initial reservations about four things - the blingy silver bits (why?), the odd foam handle grip, the pointlessly small and fiddly anti-reverse lever, the screw-in handle - are outweighed by the large spool that casts and feeds line beautifully, the super-smooth operation, the winding power and the solid feel. I'd definitely recommend one - although I could have helped Shimano avoid those blemishes if only they'd asked me.

First time out, I caught a few chub and barbel (not put in the net) and that helped endear it to me

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have a fancy for a Shimano but want one I can back wind. I think I read somewhere that Shimano have dispensed with this facility. Is that the case or are there still models available with this feature. Not being able to go to a tackle shop for a hands on I would appreciate any advice. Price range would be up to £150. Pete.

The idea that Shimano have totally dispensed with the anti-reverse switch right across their ranges is a myth. However, trying to discern which models really don't have an anti-reverse switch isn't as easy as it should be, which hardly helps Shimano's cause. It's certainly true that some of the front drag models don't have an anti-reverse switch, but not all. I've yet to encounter any rear drag model that has done away with the feature. Two of the better modern rear drag models, the Stradic Ci4+ RA and the Super GT RD, definitely have the anti-reverse switch. They also happen to have the distinct advantage of a significantly oversized spool. I wouldn't choose to use any of the lauded '90s Shimano rear drag reels over either of the above.

Sadly, when it comes to small front drag reels, I've switched over to Daiwa. I gave a Stradic Ci4+ 2500 FB a fair crack of the whip. It's a fine little reel, but it doesn't have an anti-reverse switch. I don't regularly backwind, so the lack was not an insurmountable issue. I did use it for over a year. However, when you find yourself scrabbling about for a switch that isn't there, you know the game is up. It's now sitting quite forlornly in its' box awaiting its' fate.

bracket

Reaction score
Thank you all for your prompt replies. I will digest the info and make my mind up. Pete

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thank you all for your prompt replies. I will digest the info and make my mind up. Pete

Pete, I'm a bit perturbed by the automatic email that showed me what you had initially posted.

Sam I understand your reservation about the lack of an anti back wind, but that is not an issue for me. Result is, as yet unbeknown to her, my Lady has bought me a Shimano Stadic Ci4 2500 FB. I got it for £99.99 from futurefishing, which is at Newark. They are also doing the 4000 at the same price so I had one of those as well. My thanks to you all again. Pete.

Just for absolute clarity, and with your initial post in mind.

I have a fancy for a Shimano but want one I can back wind.

There is no backwind facility on the Stradic Ci4+ FB models.

John Keane

Reaction score
I’m expecting good things of this little Daiwa Ninja that I picked up in Cash Generator last year. This is the photo before I sorted it out with some good line.

Attachments

• BD63BD5A-5111-4EEC-88DB-28EBA9F1A943.jpg
    BD63BD5A-5111-4EEC-88DB-28EBA9F1A943.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 135

bracket

Reaction score
Sam. Thanks for that. I re-read my original post and realised I had got it all wrong and deleted it, then I just wrote a general thank you to you alI. I have cancelled my order for the FBs and am following your RA link, which I should have done in the first place. Think I'm spending too much time indoors. Pete.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Pete, I was just concerned that you didn't get lumbered with something that doesn't fit the bill.

Sadly, the Stradic Ci4+ RAs are not currently available at the keen prices they were six months, and more, ago. There were a few about for as little as £100. Currently, most places are selling around the £150 mark.

The best price I can find is £125 for a 4000.

The 4000s are not a small reel. Most would think to use them on a feeder set up and go for a 2500 for float work. I do use a 4000 for float fishing, but only on long rods on still waters. The 2500 is a better size for 13' (or less) rods.

Last edited: