Go on, treat yourself!

Reaction score
I've been reading that lure fishing book Mike,it suggests certain rods for different styles of lure fishing(obvious really),reels of above average quality,expensive braids(not naming any manufacturers of any of the previous),all good advice if you were intending to do lots of lure fishing,trouble is that for me its a holiday entertainment,so its a mono,loaded onto a cheapish reel,on a short solid fibreglass spinning rod,I almost splashed out on a carbon solid tipped rod today,but suddenly came to the realisation that I live 100 miles from anywhere that I can use it....

mikench

Reaction score
I always used to call a fs reel a spinning reel regardless of the actual use to which it was being put. I bought a spinning rod early on in my fledgling Angling career thinking I would use it the most. That hasn't proved to be the case and rather the reverse.

A spinning reel hurling a lure 40 or 50 yards perhaps less every 2 minutes or so, is going to exact more stress and strain on the gears, handles, spool and line than say a feeder reel sat in a rod rest or buzzer or even a float rod held in the hand. It therefore, imo, needs to be robust, well built and pleasing to use. I bought a 2000 size Ninja and Korum speed spin reel for most light lure fishing and they are lovely to use.

I went Sea fishing once in the gulf using Tackle provided on the boat. The rod was a boat rod and I don't recall it much but the reel was another story. It was a 10,000 size of unknown origins . It had a large spool with 60lb mono which was at least .5" below the rim or more. If it had bearings they were shot. In short it was a noisy, rough bag of rivets and most unenjoyable to use. It spoiled the fishing and made catching 10k barracuda from 150 yards astern sheer hard work. Even drop shooting for Jacks in 40' of water was hard.

I'm not an engineer but I do like pieces of well made and well engineered kit whether it be a reel, rod or turntable. It adds to the pleasure significantly for me. I like to just look at my pins, spin them and enjoy and admire the skill which has gone into making them.

I have a few lighter lure rods giving me a wide range of casting weights and lengths; I just need to get out and use them resisting the temptation to use a float or feeder rod.

Roll on normality. Alan what is the name of this thread?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reaction score
Yeah,i agree,when this is over I might treat myself to a rod with more usage opportunity than lure fishing,as lrf is never going to be my main interest,especially with the distance of the venues being prohibitive,dont fancy that length of drive for a few hours sport,with my lads going for a few days isnt a genuine option at present. I have just spent today on some more biodegradable soft baits,fishing for perch on lures simply doesn't interest me,pike and zander even less so...

wetthrough

Reaction score
In the event we're allowed back fishing I would expect a limit on distance traveled to and from anyway. Journeys by car require getting more petrol at some point and petrol stations have to place you at some risk of catching and spreading C19.

john step

Reaction score
Back to topic. I think I may buy a new lightweight gas stove. The one I have sits on top of the cylinder and feels quite wobbly.
I am getting to the stage where I want to handle and inspect purchases to ensure robustness and not rely on advert blurb by a tackle company.
Probably start at Go Outdoors.

mikench

Reaction score
Pete I bought one like this from Amazon.

Terra Hiker Portable Camping Gas Stove with Convenient Piezo Ignition, 3500W Small Durable Backpacking Cooker with Carrying Case

Mine looks identical but is called Lixada. It was about £15 and is brilliant. It’s stable with its own extendable legs. It connects to the gas bottle with a cable. I recommend it.

Tree123

Reaction score
I treat myself every month. Myself and my wife have an agreement that i have £40 a month to spend on bit if i need to.
So i have got this month already in my ebay basket.
But am slowly recouping my stock after a long break and selling a lot of stuff

Reaction score
Ive bought myself a scaffold and noose,just in case this goes on forever...a real treat...

Reaction score
What do you think's better - loop or water-knot? :)

Neither,it has to be a grinner as Mike says,a self tightening knot and definitely NOT a palomar,well not if I tie it anyway!

Reaction score
Never heard of them so just looked it up on Google. Interesting as lug are not always available. When I get going again might give them a try. I assume you just hook them like normal worms.

Sorry Mark,I missed this somehow,they look similar to ragworm,and come in different sizes,neil1970 told me to break pieces off and put them on smallish hooks10/14's in the main,however I caught a schoolie on a chunk of Verm(a poor relation to isome or gulp)around two and a half inches long,7/8mm diameter,so would imagine a whole worm threaded up the hook would take fish,fish take these worms fished static,with the added bonus the bu99ers dont nip you,lol...

seth49

Reaction score
Didn’t think I really needed any new tackle, but I watched a video on utube last night, and there was a chap unboxing and showing one of the new Preston response margin poles.

I really liked the look of this, it impressed me a lot, poker straight and light, he could easily lift it with one hand, comes with three power top twos as well.

Will be having a look at one when able too.

It was a chap called Ben on the Anging 4 U channel.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Didn’t think I really needed any new tackle, but I watched a video on utube last night, and there was a chap unboxing and showing one of the new Preston response margin poles.

I really liked the look of this, it impressed me a lot, poker straight and light, he could easily lift it with one hand, comes with three power top twos as well.

Will be having a look at one when able too.

It was a chap called Ben on the Anging 4 U channel.

Pay the extra and either get the acolyte margin or the matrix mtx margin pole, I held the response and a couple of sections felt spongy and as if I could oval them easily.

John Keane

Reaction score
Back to topic. I think I may buy a new lightweight gas stove. The one I have sits on top of the cylinder and feels quite wobbly.
I am getting to the stage where I want to handle and inspect purchases to ensure robustness and not rely on advert blurb by a tackle company.
Probably start at Go Outdoors.

I’ve got this one and it’s brilliant. It has a pre-heating coil that sits over the burner and vaporises the gas before it gets to the burner. This means that if you use the tall gas bottles the stove won’t flare if you place the bottle on its side (or the bottle falls over) and it’s great to use in the low temperatures that we get when winter piking when other stoves struggle. The legs fold away to make a small package in its draw string bag and there’s Piezo ignition. It’s not the cheapest but it’s definitely one of the best and has the Primus name.

B36-E06-BD-7705-4-A9-C-9-A72-7524390-E16-E4.jpg