Good to Spool Your Own Reels! Rely On Your Own Skills:)

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
I Used Soft-Steel Eminent Braid But Any Line You Like Is Fine:)

There's a link to use for Fishon Spooler at the bottom. No, not for any commissions for myself. I turned that down years ago. It's to receive any updates on your purchases if any. The Owner Brandon Rogers markets his own invention & is an avid outdoors hunter & angler. His machine made me independent from the high cost of dealing with tackle shops. I figured i'm saving over $500 a year easily.

During Covid many of us anglers couldn't just walk into a store to purchase fishing gear or products. So we all purchased online. But i put my services out to all local anglers to service their spooling needs for free. Same as Glen Goya of GJS Fishing Tackle & Supply in Maui as he purchased a unit as well. If they had no line i used my personal stock to help out.

I can get more line on my reels with the pride of knowing that i did my own work. I taught myself the best knots to use & stocked-up on both braid & mono lines. I can only recommend to anyone out there that this knowledge and equipment is priceless in being independent of high prices that stores charge & you can use your favorite brands & ratings. My friend Glen on Maui doesn't even charge for this service, nor do I.

Attachments

• Cover-Spool Your Reel.jpg
    Cover-Spool Your Reel.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

nottskev

Reaction score
How did I ever get line on my reels without one! I used to put line on - can you believe this? - by turning the reel handle.

Keith M

Reaction score
What a lazy lot you have in your part of the world Chris. 😃

I think you will find that almost every Angler in the UK spools line onto their reels themselves.

I have a nice gadget to make the job a little easier for me now (like the one in the link) but in the past I used my wife to hold the line spool under a slight tension for me; or used a bucket full of water to hold the line spool and a telephone directory to give a slight pressure on the line as I wound the line onto a reel; making sure that I minimised any line twist by turning the spool around if and when it was needed.

Keith

Last edited:

Ged28

Reaction score
So you can get more line on your reel by laying it by hand. What happens when you cast a long way and have to rely on the reel to lay the line? I take it the spool will then be overfilled.

Philip

Reaction score
If your offering your services to fill peoples spools with that Chris then you absolutly need one of these too...I'll accept 20% royalties.. ;)...

@Clive

Reaction score
This guy is just a serial spammer. He must have 'reviewed' ten different reels in the last fortnight. How the Hell can he form a viable opinion just by taking something out of a box and playing with it for a few minutes?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This guy is just a serial spammer. He must have 'reviewed' ten different reels in the last fortnight. How the Hell can he form a viable opinion just by taking something out of a box and playing with it for a few minutes?
I didn't think he was reviewing a reel in this video. some sort of line spooler and he mentioned that fish see his yellow line more then his green line in estuaries. As he fishes these a lot as I do occasionally and have had yellow line on my reel in the past thinking it doesn't matter, this is worth noting from an experienced sea/estuary angler.
I have often wondered what Scuba Chris is all about but he does provide some interest and occasional bit of good advice in the sea fishing section, the only one who does these days. If he is earning a living from it, good luck to him.

@Clive

Reaction score
I didn't think he was reviewing a reel in this video. some sort of line spooler and he mentioned that fish see his yellow line more then his green line in estuaries. As he fishes these a lot as I do occasionally and have had yellow line on my reel in the past thinking it doesn't matter, this is worth noting from an experienced sea/estuary angler.
I have often wondered what Scuba Chris is all about but he does provide some interest and occasional bit of good advice in the sea fishing section, the only one who does these days. If he is earning a living from it, good luck to him.
He has posted reviews of at least thirty reels since the start of the year. Mostly they are Chinese made clones straight out of the box and a few minutes playing before the camera. Absolutely no value whatsoever. Then he copy / pastes a link to the video advert on multiple forums and social media groups. If you want an idea of his experience just look at the one about a reel handle failing after what he called 'hard use'. The hours the reel was used amounted to less than 6 hours a week for less than a year. It should have been replaced under warranty. Or feeling satisfied because he used a reel that he had filled with line himself. Ffs I was doing that aged 11 and have spooled every reel that I have owned since.

He gets paid for placing these product promotions. As such his opinions cannot be trusted.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
He has posted reviews of at least thirty reels since the start of the year. Mostly they are Chinese made clones straight out of the box and a few minutes playing before the camera. Absolutely no value whatsoever. Then he copy / pastes a link to the video advert on multiple forums and social media groups. If you want an idea of his experience just look at the one about a reel handle failing after what he called 'hard use'. The hours the reel was used amounted to less than 6 hours a week for less than a year. It should have been replaced under warranty. Or feeling satisfied because he used a reel that he had filled with line himself. Ffs I was doing that aged 11 and have spooled every reel that I have owned since.

He gets paid for placing these product promotions. As such his opinions cannot be trusted.
I never buy anything from him or his recommendations anyway so it don't particularly bother me. I doubt anyone takes much notice of his recommendations. But he does make an effort, I doubt all the posts he has made over the years have taken no effort or thought, probably quite a lot I would have thought, more than mine have done. Why not have a vote on it,
Chris Scuba for. - 1
Chris Scuba against. - 0

nottskev

Reaction score
Well, feel free to review something. Or post a fishing report. Or anything. The regular contributors have, over time, posted lots of comment on gear and how they find it, but often not labelled Review or placed in the Review section. Some have posted 15 reports on their day's fishing since the start of this year, alongside daily input on all sorts.

I wouldn't bother to complain about the string of product-placement posts and adverts, but since the subject's come up, I think it's fair to point out they are distinct from "genuine" posts where members address and interact with others and offer comment based on their own experience and opinions. Their purpose is plainly to angle for sales by putting products in front of a captive audience who are here to talk to each other. The mismatch between the angling world of FM forums and items relating to exotic saltwater fishing is often comical, and the inducements to buy after-market upgrades - like replacing our perfectly functional reel handles with "power knobs" - plain daft. The "reviews" generally just showcase a product and add an approving blurb. I imagine these reviews are placed in numerous online places and don't arise from a community of interest with FM members or relate to their fishing.

As I said, I'm not bothered either way, but I can see why they irritate some.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Well, I leave it up to others, get him banned or put up or enjoy, it is entirely up to others. I don't mind his posts, never have, I don't look at many but some have been interesting to me and that's enough for me.
If it is breaking the rules or the spirit of the forum and needs stopping, then some else can decide that. I personally hope not. I always look at his titles and sometimes I read further and sometimes get a little insight to foreign fishing, methods, rigs lines whatever regardless of any other considerations.

mikench

Reaction score
I am quite happy reading his reviews out of mild curiosity. There are few products in his reviews which are imported to the UK so I couldn’t buy them even if I wanted to. I like the views of Hawaii and the fish caught and put back for the most part. I ignore product placement and most adverts. He is at least an angler and not some obnoxious bloke in Romania preaching misogyny or some other so called influencer.

Some have posted 15 reports on their day's fishing since the start of this year, alongside daily input on all sorts.
I have read and enjoyed everyone Kev and all the others.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am quite happy reading his reviews out of mild curiosity. There are few products in his reviews which are imported to the UK so I couldn’t buy them even if I wanted to. I like the views of Hawaii and the fish caught and put back for the most part. I ignore product placement and most adverts. He is at least an angler and not some obnoxious bloke in Romania preaching misogyny or some other so called influencer.

Some have posted 15 reports on their day's fishing since the start of this year, alongside daily input on all sorts.
I have read and enjoyed everyone Kev and all the others.
I'm safe, no one endorses old crap.

Acuba is the only one keeping the sea fishing topic going, that's got to be worth a point or two. I just didn't do much sea fishing last year, twice I think it was and I only caught once but, I may try and do a bit more this year, I will review the carp rod I found in a skip that I use for my light sea fishing, get the ball rolling a bit, that's if I catch anything. Not tried this reel yet but I will give it a go and review that as well....

Attachments

• starback eton sun (6).JPG
    starback eton sun (6).JPG
    697.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
I'm safe, no one endorses old crap.

Acuba is the only one keeping the sea fishing topic going, that's got to be worth a point or two. I just didn't do much sea fishing last year, twice I think it was and I only caught once but, I may try and do a bit more this year, I will review the carp rod I found in a skip that I use for my light sea fishing, get the ball rolling a bit, that's if I catch anything. Not tried this reel yet but I will give it a go and review that as well....
Do you honestly think that anything that he posts about has any relevance to UK saltwater angling?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Do you honestly think that anything that he posts about has any relevance to UK saltwater angling?
Sea fishing is sea fishing, some mullet fishing videos I have watched him do. I do not do much lure fishing the occasional bit of bass luring which I have also watched him do. I cannot remember exactly but I know what I like. Some types of fishing are always relevant wherever they take place. I could argue does any fishing in France have any relevance in the UK, it doesn't for me but I know it does for some, I wouldn't dream of complaining about it. But that's not what your complaining about is it.
What is your purpose of all this? Just a complaint, get it off your chest, get him banned, stop him posting..or what?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
And this from someone with a post count of 7 in three years :ROFLMAO:
Ha that's still more than some, is he not allowed to have a say or opinion on anything just because he doesn't post much, how many posts do you think we have to make before we can have an opinion?

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
Ha that's still more than some, is he not allowed to have a say or opinion on anything just because he doesn't post much, how many posts do you think we have to make before we can have an opinion?
He made the point that the forum needs more tackle reviews and all the input that it can get. Yet he himself has made just over 2 posts a year. That is the point. Nothing to do with him not being able to have an opinion. Just plain hypocrisy.

As for your comments about "sea fishing being sea fishing" as in the same all over the world; total ballcocks! Different species, different methods, different tackle.

The guy is a spammer pure and simple. He logs on, copy/pastes a link to his latest advert then moves on to another forum or talk group and does the same over and over. He doesn't contribute anything to forum discussions. It is all about product placement for his financial gain.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
He made the point that the forum needs more tackle reviews and all the input that it can get. Yet he himself has made just over 2 posts a year. That is the point. Nothing to do with him not being able to have an opinion. Just plain hypocrisy.

As for your comments about "sea fishing being sea fishing" as in the same all over the world; total ballcocks! Different species, different methods, different tackle.

The guy is a spammer pure and simple. He logs on, copy/pastes a link to his latest advert then moves on to another forum or talk group and does the same over and over. He doesn't contribute anything to forum discussions. It is all about product placement for his financial gain.
And I am sure he won't post again.
So what do you want to do about it? I mean its fine you carry on about how awful it all is but you haven't said what you want done about it. You need a arbitrary opinion, don't keep arguing with me, I cant help you, all I have said is I don't mind his posts, and I don't, why should I....

Last edited: