Good to Spool Your Own Reels! Rely On Your Own Skills:)

@Clive

Reaction score
If he paid an advertising fee or contributed something financially to the forum owners nobody could complain. As it is he is just spamming this forum and others purely for his own financial gain.

As for your comment about arguing with you. If you read the thread back you will find that your last three posts are asking me direct questions. And my last three posts are answering your questions. So the solution is in your own hands.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If he paid an advertising fee or contributed something financially to the forum owners nobody could complain. As it is he is just spamming this forum and others purely for his own financial gain.

As for your comment about arguing with you. If you read the thread back you will find that your last three posts are asking me direct questions. And my last three posts are answering your questions. So the solution is in your own hands.
Your making the complaint, not me; what's your solution?

Keith M

Reaction score
Just because Clive dared to make a comment about these totally out of touch blatant plugs from someone who’s virtually on the other side of the planet, for tackle which is 80%-plus unrelated to any of the tackle and modes of fishing that we use ourselves on this forum it doesn’t mean that we should do anything about it; it was just just Clive’s valid observation. Instead he gets into an argument with a couple of you.

It was just an observation and not something worth us arguing about surely? A lot of us think the same as Clive about these constant blatant and totally unrelated (to us) plugs; but have just let it go; and for the sake of peace we have ignored it ; thinking that the forum might have been getting income or other benifits from these blatant and regular plugs? or perhaps they might have been useful to one or two members of the forum who will occasionally travel across the globe for their fishing? (Which I tend to doubt)

However; surely a write up on reels from someone who cannot possibly use each of the reels he plugs about more than a couple of times at most, cannot be taken without a large pinch of salt even if you do fish on the other side of the planet occasionally ??? :)

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just because Clive dared to make a comment about these totally out of touch blatant plugs from someone who’s virtually on the other side of the planet, for tackle which is 80%-plus unrelated to any of the tackle and modes of fishing that we use ourselves on this forum it doesn’t mean that we should do anything about it; it was just just Clive’s valid observation. Instead he gets into an argument with a couple of you.

It was just an observation and not something worth us arguing about surely? A lot of us think the same as Clive about these constant blatant and totally unrelated (to us) plugs; but have just let it go; and for the sake of peace we have ignored it ; thinking that the forum might have been getting income or other benifits from these blatant and regular plugs? or perhaps they might have been useful to one or two members of the forum who will occasionally travel across the globe for their fishing? (Which I tend to doubt)

However; surely a write up on reels from someone who cannot possibly use each of the reels he plugs about more than a couple of times at most, cannot be taken without a large pinch of salt even if they did fish on the other side of the planet occasionally ??? :)

Keith
I wouldn't suggest that anyone does not dare to make a statement or opinion, I hope that is never the case. But you have to expect replies, opinions and observations in return and questions. Its just the way it works. It is annoying but it wouldnt be a forum otherwise, its not a blog site its a discussion site..
To me there are two layers to this, one is it just a case of who reads these posts or gets anything from them.
And then it is a bit more serious, are the posts genuine and have any integrity and I am sorry but that calls into question should they be posted at all and I have asked.
I can't make the second argument nor have I tried, I don't know who sponsors what, what other websites these are posted on, who gets paid or who pays what. I do understand why you feel strongly about that, I just don't feel as strongly about it. Maybe I should but I don't, I can't help that.
The first argument I can make, I do read them occasionally, I do find it relative to my fishing occasionally whatever anyone else thinks, and that is all I have said, its not an argument its a fact..
Have a vote on it, I make it for 3, against 2 and indifferent 1. hardly an endorsement one way or the other, perhaps more should say what they think.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have already said that I don’t mind the posts by Scuba Chris even though I know full well he is sponsored and paid to post. I have commented earlier in the thread so will not repeat. Scuba Chris has at least made over 1000 posts since 2018 when he joined. There are members on here who have averaged a post a year ( if that) and who usually just look in but are not persuaded to post. I have no idea why. I once joined a forum where the rules stated that if a minimum of posts were not made in the first 6 months the membership would be cancelled. A good rule imo. I used to make comments about infrequent posters, people who joined just to sell something or those who never posted at all. I remember Simon( Peter Crabtree) once taking me to task for being unkind and aggressive to someone who had joined just to sell a product. Simon only did so the once.
Just as Scuba Chris is entitled to post so is Clive entitled to comment and make his opinion known. I do not disagree with what he has said on this thread.
We may have 100,000 plus members but barely 50 post regularly and without posts even those( like mine) which irritate some, the forum will become sterile and cease to exist. We need posters and members who join in , and not just join ,receive a welcome and who are never heard of again. We also have members who join just to make one post and when they receive sound advice from members cannot be bothered to even acknowledge that advice and to say thanks. The end result is that those experienced anglers don’t waste their future time.
i enjoy Scuba Chris’s videos on certain tackle and when he is fishing. His blatant product placement and flimsy reviews don’t bother me as I cannot buy anything anyway. I occasionally sea fish when in France and use a beach caster with a reel filled with braid. I often just practice my casting when I am on a deserted beach and not catching( most of the time) and recall getting a burn from the braid. I bought a gadget to stop that which whilst endorsed by Scuba Chris , is widely used by sea anglers and came from Cornwall. It’s called a Breakaway Cannon.
I am happy to learn and accept criticism . I would say I read 99% of posts and bar a few enjoy them all.🙈😉

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I never find the question of sellers an easy one, is it someone with 5 kids living in some arse part of the world where making a decent living nion impossible. Is this there only hope? I have been in places and positions like that myself. At least they are showing some ingenuity and effort more than likely for a small pittance. I wouldn't have a clue how to post several videos a week. I have no idea of course but that thought always tends me to say good luck to them. If they are breaking rules, if they are getting away with it and not actually doing any harm I still tend to think good luck to them. But then that's easy for me because it is not my website they are crashing, if it was I expect I would feel differently but; then its the owners of the site who should do something about it, that ball and responsibility falls into their court not mine.

Last edited:

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
What a lazy lot you have in your part of the world Chris. 😃

I think you will find that almost every Angler in the UK spools line onto their reels themselves.

I have a nice gadget to make the job a little easier for me now (like the one in the link) but in the past I used my wife to hold the line spool under a slight tension for me; or used a bucket full of water to hold the line spool and a telephone directory to give a slight pressure on the line as I wound the line onto a reel; making sure that I minimised any line twist by turning the spool around if and when it was needed.

Keith
I've seen those on eBay. Thank you sir.

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
I have already said that I don’t mind the posts by Scuba Chris even though I know full well he is sponsored and paid to post. I have commented earlier in the thread so will not repeat. Scuba Chris has at least made over 1000 posts since 2018 when he joined. There are members on here who have averaged a post a year ( if that) and who usually just look in but are not persuaded to post. I have no idea why. I once joined a forum where the rules stated that if a minimum of posts were not made in the first 6 months the membership would be cancelled. A good rule imo. I used to make comments about infrequent posters, people who joined just to sell something or those who never posted at all. I remember Simon( Peter Crabtree) once taking me to task for being unkind and aggressive to someone who had joined just to sell a product. Simon only did so the once.
Just as Scuba Chris is entitled to post so is Clive entitled to comment and make his opinion known. I do not disagree with what he has said on this thread.
We may have 100,000 plus members but barely 50 post regularly and without posts even those( like mine) which irritate some, the forum will become sterile and cease to exist. We need posters and members who join in , and not just join ,receive a welcome and who are never heard of again. We also have members who join just to make one post and when they receive sound advice from members cannot be bothered to even acknowledge that advice and to say thanks. The end result is that those experienced anglers don’t waste their future time.
i enjoy Scuba Chris’s videos on certain tackle and when he is fishing. His blatant product placement and flimsy reviews don’t bother me as I cannot buy anything anyway. I occasionally sea fish when in France and use a beach caster with a reel filled with braid. I often just practice my casting when I am on a deserted beach and not catching( most of the time) and recall getting a burn from the braid. I bought a gadget to stop that which whilst endorsed by Scuba Chris , is widely used by sea anglers and came from Cornwall. It’s called a Breakaway Cannon.
I am happy to learn and accept criticism . I would say I read 99% of posts and bar a few enjoy them all.🙈😉
Thank you sir. Years ago i decided to do everything on my own dime meaning i'm not sponsored by any company or anyone. Only my friends know that i do EVERYTHING on my own funds. I fund every video that i do on my own. I do this to educate mostly beginning anglers as i once was one myself & needed direction as anyone does when doing something brand new. Because i chose this path the way i live now is extreme. I'm careful when purchasing food & gas. I save-up to purchase the few items i purchase a month now just to continue being an educator. I've refused help from some of the largest distributors around who watch my channel. Only the smarter anglers watching have correctly deduced this by carefully watching & listening to what i'm doing. I don't share this fact because it isn't anyone's business for them to know my personal life & struggles. But now i see i must at least let those who kindly control content to know important information on some of their contributors.

I'm not with any company for many years now. I purchase my own items when i show a product from online sources but prefer local shops to promote local spending. It's been many years since i was with another company so that one individual on this group who thinks he knows everything can write to them to verify that he doesn't anything. Like the Admins here who already knew but figured it was nobody else's business. Other groups that i post on already knew this as you cannot run a group without outsider information. Plus it's common sense that if a person educates someone on a new Handing reel on a new Okuma rod using a new Mustad lure wearing a new Daiwa shirt that he's a free agent as the company products changes monthly (again all except only 1 on this group).

And to Keith, yes it does sound lazy not to spool your own reels. I live on Oahu. The most expensive island to live on in Hawaii. Shops here charge for spooling except a few who depends on those customers patronage. I used to sit down and run a chop stick through my toes through a line spool & crank my own line on until i was gifted a spooler because others wanted to see me continue teaching. When Covid hit & i lost my dad i still shared my equipment & expertise with the fishing community & helped spool line on reels for free. I traveled to intermediate schools giving free workshops on fishing techniques. I don't share this publically as a few that you know would mistaken this as self-promotion. I started my life as an educator & i'll finish the same way.

I'd like to thank the kind people of this group for allowing me to post here. I'm sorry that you have to deal with a few who don't understand because it's not their business to know what you know to educate others.

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
How did I ever get line on my reels without one! I used to put line on - can you believe this? - by turning the reel handle.
I have found using a simple machine is much better then spooling by hand. The line lay is tight & compacted. Plus i do this service for free for others who need help because they cannot afford another $40-50 for a few shops to do this for them (line & line spooling fee). Yes, they're are some who don't know how. Usually the young or retired & most females i'm beginning to notice. Mostly beginners so i understand.

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
So you can get more line on your reel by laying it by hand. What happens when you cast a long way and have to rely on the reel to lay the line? I take it the spool will then be overfilled.
I never had that issue Ged28. I don't "top off" so always have some room to play with. Thanks.

nottskev

Reaction score
I have found using a simple machine is much better then spooling by hand. The line lay is tight & compacted. Plus i do this service for free for others who need help because they cannot afford another $40-50 for a few shops to do this for them (line & line spooling fee). Yes, they're are some who don't know how. Usually the young or retired & most females i'm beginning to notice. Mostly beginners so i understand.

Well, good for you mate. But leave me out of this. I've already said I don't mind your posts, transparent adverts or not. I get immaculate line lay on my reels without a machine (good reels do that for you) and have done since I was a kid. I also make floats, tie hooks, build rods, make and adapt tackle items, you name it. I come from a world where fishing skills are learned, not bought. There's always some product being advertised in your posts, isn't there? None of my 5,818 posts are commercials, and none of them appear on any other sites. Post what you like, but don't try and tell me you're some altruistic educator, come from Hawaii to help me fish the UK Midlands. You say your "spooling" machine saves you $500 pa on tackle shop fees? What kind of fools pay that, and why not do it yourself and save the cost of the machine, too?

@Clive

Reaction score
If you took the time to actually read the posts on this forum you would have discovered several free and simple methods that have been used to respool reels for decades. But you aren't interested in reading this forum. Never have been. You just use it as a dumping ground for your thinly disguised adverts.

As Keith indicated; the vast majority of the stuff that you are trying to convince us to buy are not available here because it has no relevance to the way we fish.

Scuba Chris

Reaction score

Keep the posts coming Chris, many still enjoy your input mate. 👍
Thank you Mikench, pl71 & others. Funny how "some" here think i do this for money? Before Handing started selling in the States they contacted me to rep for them. I politely turned them down twice. That was turning down money & gear for free. I'm actually slowing down my progress now. My family needs me more in everyday needs like in buying food than having me share info. But i've noticed in every group there's a few who believe that they know everything & damn the others for "not knowing". I've other callings from Worldwide lecturer to deep-diving explorer. I've been lucky to help discover new species & had a few named after me over the years. But recently i've nearly healed from multiple wounds that has plagued me so thinking of enjoying life more. I'll still do what i'm doing but will try to do other activities as well and be safer. Only now i can place my foot into my shoe from a badly crushed toe.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
How fascinating Suba Chris, I imagine your life/world is totally different from most of us. Maybe some just cannot understand that. Personally I think you add a bit of flavour, diversity and flair to the forum and I don't care what or how you make your money, but that's just me and it is none of my business, everyone is entitled to their opinion and observations but I have enjoyed your posts over the years, sitting here in grey dull old England in a flat with the rain and wind stopping me going fishing it is something for me to read and imagine your world for a little spell in the mornings and good luck with your recovery.
I have a question for you, in this video you mentioned you found you caught less fish with a yellow line, I have a yellow line on one of my reels, never been sure about it myself. British waters are generally dirty but clear out in the summer, the line needs changing anyway, what colour would you recommend, I fish mainly for mullet, bass and mackerel occasionally but flatties or anything else that are in season..I don't mind if you recommend a brand, if it is not available here maybe I could find something similar but it is more a question of colour for now...thanks.

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
Thank you Mikench, pl71 & others. Funny how "some" here think i do this for money? Before Handing started selling in the States they contacted me to rep for them. I politely turned them down twice. That was turning down money & gear for free. I'm actually slowing down my progress now. My family needs me more in everyday needs like in buying food than having me share info. But i've noticed in every group there's a few who believe that they know everything & damn the others for "not knowing". I've other callings from Worldwide lecturer to deep-diving explorer. I've been lucky to help discover new species & had a few named after me over the years. But recently i've nearly healed from multiple wounds that has plagued me so thinking of enjoying life more. I'll still do what i'm doing but will try to do other activities as well and be safer. Only now i can place my foot into my shoe from a badly crushed toe.
Well, given that you have 'reviewed', I use the term loosely, about thirty reels this year alone what do you do with them afterwards? You certainly cannot use so many and I'll bet that you don't buy them. And then there are other items of tackle that you are constantly pushing on us.

A while ago you made a derogatory comment about hating unboxing reviews. Yet your own reviews only differ in that you twirl the handle a few times, or maybe put some line on. You can't have fished with all those reels for any meaningful time to be able to discover any hidden faults or other weaknesses. They are unboxing reviews in all but name. They are meaningless to the consumer. I'll bet that you receive the items free of charge from the manufacturers so that you can plug them on your videos and then you sell them on. The manufacturers believe that by you posting on Fishing Magic they are potentially reaching 100,000 members. If they realised that only 3 people actually take any notice of what you post and none will actually buy your merchandise then they might stop sending you free tackle. That is why you are so keen to continue.

Let me ask you a question; How many posts have you made on any thread that you yourself did not start? I'll bet it is less than double figures and might even be zero.

pl71

Reaction score
Well, given that you have 'reviewed', I use the term loosely, about thirty reels this year alone what do you do with them afterwards? You certainly cannot use so many and I'll bet that you don't buy them. And then there are other items of tackle that you are constantly pushing on us.

A while ago you made a derogatory comment about hating unboxing reviews. Yet your own reviews only differ in that you twirl the handle a few times, or maybe put some line on. You can't have fished with all those reels for any meaningful time to be able to discover any hidden faults or other weaknesses. They are unboxing reviews in all but name. They are meaningless to the consumer. I'll bet that you receive the items free of charge from the manufacturers so that you can plug them on your videos and then you sell them on. The manufacturers believe that by you posting on Fishing Magic they are potentially reaching 100,000 members. If they realised that only 3 people actually take any notice of what you post and none will actually buy your merchandise then they might stop sending you free tackle. That is why you are so keen to continue.

Let me ask you a question; How many posts have you made on any thread that you yourself did not start? I'll bet it is less than double figures and might even be zero.
Scuba clearly irritates and bothers you with his posts, why not just ignore him and then everyone’s happy.

Philip

Reaction score
Scuba clearly irritates and bothers you with his posts, why not just ignore him and then everyone’s happy.

Ironically this thread has become the most replied to and interesting thread Scuba Chris has ever started so that could be counter productive for everyone. :)

Last edited: