How did you get on?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well out again this evening same spot i need to change pegs really but it is the darn walk to them that makes it very difficult and uncomfortable any how as normal within moments of casting in decent perch 3/4lb ish plenty more as well a couple of small Bream the second one gave a very good account of itself i wondered what i had hooked at first was jiging and jaging finally landed it about 8 inches long rather slim but good fight for a bream few nice roach as well oh and one illegal advised it is a club water this one packed up and took off unlike the last one

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very boring I am afraid, a repeat of my last visit minus the big bream, ie blanked. very hot and the water is almost clear, I still think the swim is promising but needs a bit of colour and flow, maybe after a bit of rain. Highlights was a kingfisher and a sea gull went for one of these ducklings, the mother went berserk and saw it off but don't often see that.
100_1599.JPG
100_1603.JPG

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I arrived before 7.00 am at a lake shrouded in mist and with a fresh feel to it. It was lovely as we set up. Whilst I could have fished two rods and had brought the Torrix and alarms for an outing, I couldn’t be Arsed bothered setting up two rods so stuck with my feeder. I was a little agitated at first as I had failed to check my diesel reserves and the low fuel warning lights came on. I then realised I had left my wallet. It was only after I had passed Sandbach services that my addled brain remembered I had Applepay on my phone. Doh! 🙈 I found the nearest garage on Google and Gordon offered to come with me in case Applepay wasn’t available. Our location is in the middle of nowhere. Anyway back to the fishing.

IMG_9504.jpeg

It was lovely at this stage but by 11.30 it was roasting . In fact it was so hot that Gordon discarded his heated gilet and thermal vest.🙈😉😳. For once I caught more than Gordon. I tend to be perhaps overly optimistic when assessing the weight of a fish whereas Gordon is perhaps pessimistic as his dozen or so roach and Rudd were all under 4oz.🙈🙈🙈🙈. He is so modest.😉

Gordon also had a couple of skimmers and around 15 in total. I had 18 carp , a roach and this which I reckon is a hybrid of sorts.

IMG_9505.jpeg

It was a lovely day if too warm for fishing. We discussed many things some happy and some , like the Southport incident upsetting and incomprehensible. It’s a wicked world inhabited by wicked people. Thank goodness for fishing.

peterjg

Reaction score
Last month (July) I went fishing 13 times (glutton for punishment!). I went 3 times to a gravel pit with my wife and we caught some reasonable roach, small rudd and a few stocky carp to about 8lbs or so. One trip we went to a natural lake (rare these days) and caught a few tench to about 3lbs and again some roach and rudd. It's dangerous fishing with 'er indoors, somehow she sends more sweetcorn backwards than forwards with the catapult! I fished the Kennet twice for a few average roach and 2 or 3 snotties (it's my favourite venue). Fished the Thames 3 times, twice I struggled to catch but one day managed 60 roach half on mainly legered sweetcorn and half on hemp as feed with wheat on the hook floatfished (waggler). The stretches of the rivers I fish don't get fished much so pellets are useless. On the gravel pits tried prawns twice without success. With all this heat the blasted crayfish have definitely woken up! Fished yesterday with my son, he fished for carp and unfortunately lost one, I caught 20 roach and 3 rudd mainly on pellets, a great day but too hot.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've had a couple of river sessions where I could hardly get a bite. Nothing to bother about if you're after relatively rare species like barbel - but I was fishing for roach and dace and the local river is dour right now. This afternoon I tried the disused canal, put my box on the trolley and walked as far as possible from everyone else.

bD16.jpg

You can catch lots of ide, fishing shallow on the pole with maggot, but there are some bream and tench, too, and I decided to fish right over to the far bank reeds on light waggler gear - 2.5BB float, 2.5lb line - with caster and corn to target the bigger fish and dodge the ide. That worked out well

bD17.jpg

The first decent fish to turn up was a carp that had me looking how much line was left on the reel. I brought it back from somewhere out of the picture and the hook pulled under my feet. I was at the one-more-cast point when a bream appeared

bd15.jpg

There was time enough to try and catch some more, but I was hungry and thirsty and happy enough to have caught a few for a change.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Well, I was meant to have a health check at 4pm at the GP surgery (on a Saturday) even though I would have rather had it during the week, they were short of nurses apparently, so I accepted the appointment, the intention was to go fishing immediately afterwards, at 10.35am I got a text telling me the appointment was cancelled, I was fuming, the small stream we fish had a work party that finished at noon so I got a few bits together and rolled over there, I had just over 4 pts of maggot to get rid of before my Dorset break, picked a swim that isn't overly popular and had what I can only say was nothing short of sparkling day, I caught a lot of big dace, at least twenty over 8ozs, the biggest was 11ozs with a couple of other 10oz fish, I had upwards of 35 dace in all, all but two over 4ozs, at least a dozen 4-6oz perch, one of which a bigger uncle decided looked tasty,lol, a 6lb barbel, chublets, several roach, with this 1lb 6oz beauty the pick of them, a fantastic afternoon on the stick float....
20240803_184003.jpg

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No mackerel, no anything, no tea. The wind got up and made the sea a bit murky yesterday and the mackerel just out of reach in the clear water, you can sort of see it a bit in the picture; a couple of small boats were getting a few in that zone. The other problem no sign of any sandeels or whitebait along the wall that normally gets them in close. Shame, I fancied a bit of soused mackerel for tea. I like this rod, just the job and I don't poke passengers eyes out with it on the way home. A bit light in the tip, might struggle with a big fish but should be about right for my fish.
100_1609.JPG
100_1610.JPG

nottskev

Reaction score
No mackerel, no anything, no tea. The wind got up and made the sea a bit murky yesterday and the mackerel just out of reach in the clear water, you can sort of see it a bit in the picture; a couple of small boats were getting a few in that zone. The other problem no sign of any sandeels or whitebait along the wall that normally gets them in close. Shame, I fancied a bit of soused mackerel for tea. I like this rod, just the job and I don't poke passengers eyes out with it on the way home. A bit light in the tip, might struggle with a big fish but should be about right for my fish.View attachment 31082View attachment 31083

That fast taper tip will show bites well. Bites or not, it's refreshing to be by the sea. It would be nice to get there by bus as opposed to a 90 mile drive. To Skegness. Even further to the Welsh or south coast. But a lot nicer.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That fast taper tip will show bites well. Bites or not, it's refreshing to be by the sea. It would be nice to get there by bus as opposed to a 90 mile drive. To Skegness. Even further to the Welsh or south coast. But a lot nicer.
It should be alright, a bit of oomph further down the rod, mackerel, small bass, flatfish shouldn't be a problem, don't get cod anymore. The problem will be a big bass, 8-10lb+ that could be a handful but it will be a pleasure finding out how tough it will be. Yea, nice being by the coast this weather, not so nice in the winter with a force 9 gale whipping along the seafront but I try to make the most of it. I like the variety, its always another option and the river was a bit dead last time.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My quest for a River Eden barbel continues without success. I picked a nice swim by a bridge today. The river must have been over the banks recently as almost all the swims were very muddy. The first swim by the bridge looked good, there was still a decent flow and a tinge of colour. I decided to fish large baits to combat the plethora of small fish. The river is quite lightly fished and most times I have it to myself. In retrospect I may try boilies and pellets on my next trip. Not much bait goes in so I thought other baits may fare better. I’ve caught barbel here previously on both pellet and boilies but I don’t think the fish see much in the way of either. Anyway I tried mainly raw king prawn and Lidl’s finest stinky garlic sausage. Despite using large baits the smaller fish were determined to get in on the act and I had a variety of small fish on comparatively huge baits. It’s a very picturesque spot and the only downside all of the pedestrians out for a walk on a Sunday afternoon. “Caught anything?” Ad nauseam, must have been asked about twenty times. I had about twenty small chub before a couple of decent ones just before packing up.

I wore my new hat for the first time which my wife bought me as a birthday present. Highlight of my day really, lol.

IMG_6378.jpeg
IMG_6384.jpeg
IMG_6377.jpeg
IMG_6380.jpeg
IMG_6385.jpeg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A change of tactics, proper beach fishing, rolling leger no float, only caught one small eel so still no tea, baked beans again. Little blighter totally knotted up my line and I had to completely cut it off and start a new one. It looked like a nice sea for a bass or a flattie but apart from that eel not even a bite. Quite a strong wind in my face cutting my cast down, maybe 40-50 yds, getting just inside that dirty crease but maybe could have done better with a bit further. but it works with the rod, may get 60 yds with a fair wind. It didn't actually roll as not a lot of current here, a bit heavy. Maybe try a different beach later in the week-

100_1612.JPG

100_1613.JPG

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I met up at a venue we have visited twice with little success. We decided that as we wanted to stay close to home that the venue merited a third visit. On my journey there I joined the M56 and saw ahead of me a car in the inside lane of 4( a smart motorway alledgedly) constantly braking without need as there were no vehicles in front. As I drew level to the female driver I noticed she was applying makeup using the rear view mirror. I gave her a Churchillian gesture.

IMG_9573.jpeg

IMG_9572.jpeg

It’s float fishing only which makes fishing in shallow water ie 3’ max rather difficult. We both fished 10’ float rods and I borrowed a Garbolino Altima from Gordon. It didn’t have to handle much sadly but I managed I decent Rudd and 16 small perch plus an errant mallard. The ducks on this water must be like the vandals damaging our towns and cities ie stupid and easily led. Two other anglers also caught them as they dived down for bait, swam across line and tried to swallow floats. There were dozens of them . Gordon caught a few less than me which , on the float, is a first. As we left we concurred on the decision that we would not be back anytime soon. The weather was pleasant though and we both enjoyed the fresh air and our topical discussions. Shame about the fishing.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on club fishery yesterday, pleasant day nice and warm, after catching a couple of skimmers out in water, I decided to fish the margins for the carp, as I had fed some small pellets and ground bait there when I arrived, and the carp soon moved in, fished paste to start, and then tried some strong Polish garlic sausage, which they liked, just punched some 8mm pieces out and they loved it, even taking it as I lowered it in a couple times.

Finished with 11 carp up too about 7lbs, 1 tench, 1 barbel, and one nice crucian, all caught in the margin on just the top kit, adding a couple of sections if needed, so a good day out, enjoyed it.

Attachments

• 20240806_174541.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240806_201509.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240806_153023.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240806_163001.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240806_181039.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 13

riverman

Reaction score
well yet another disappointing river outing today.went to tadcaster on the river wharfe.a lot of pegs overgrown on the car park side and the ones that werent were steep and unfishable.so went across the bridge in the town to the other side of the river and found what looked like a nice flat peg.not one take on legered luncheon meat or halibut pellets.managed around 20 silvers (chublets dace and bleak) on the stick with maggots.thats 3 river outings this year and not a chub or barbel in sight. :rolleyes:

riverman

Reaction score
yes it is sad ray.but thats fishing for you.this is why a lot of anglers stay away from rivers (because they know they cant catch in numbers as they usually can on stillwaters) my brother and my mate being prime examples.but on rivers the fish are wild and its a great feeling when you do catch a nice chub or barbel. ;)

@Clive

Reaction score
Yesterday I let Wilf know that I wouldn't be fishing until the end of next week because of the predicted 30C temperatures. This morning it was 16C, drizzle and grey sky so I was ordered to go fishing. I raided the bait freezer and set off to the Charente. Despite the region being packed with holidaymakers I found a swim that was so remote even the fish didn't know that I was there.

20240807_143109_WebuaZb98d.jpeg

Worms, sweetcorn and pellets float fished brought no bites so in desperation I switched to a tiny hook and used two dead maggots as bait. Three casts, three fish.

20240807_140259_G2MmX2sN8M.jpeg

20240807_140510_hAa7FiwW9q.jpeg

I blame the hat

20240807_145235_X2RChyQL9b.jpeg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
All I do is lose fish these days, had what felt like a bass on for a couple of minutes before it got off, first a river carp, then a huge bream and now my first bass of the year, I am using size 6 carp hooks, very strong but not a big barb on them, might change to a bigger hook, on my last tin of baked beans as well, better get something soon.
Windy day, first time on the pier for quite a while, cafe toilets and a new bait shop opened up but gone up to £7 instead of £5 last time I was there, never mind.
100_1615.JPG

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Back at the lake where 'You can't blank' yesterday

I made an early start because last time it was obviously 'lads and dads' day because of school hols and I wanted to get settled into 'my' swim before the hoards decended. However, as I pulled into the car park, there was already another vehicle parked up. Now, with around 20 swims available, the owner wouldn't possibly be in 'my' swim, would he?

The swims are all well secluded from the path and as I walked round, he wasn't in the 1st, not the 2nd but as I approached the 3rd (my swim) not one, but two anglers we there alrady tackling up.

So, plan B, or would be if I had one, I trudged further round the lake. I could have taken the next swim and sneakily may have cast into some of the hotspots near the island opposite 'my' swim, but I was soon apparent that the interlopers had adopted a fan pattern to their casting which covered all of the water for some distance either side of their (my) swim.

I dropped my tackle at a swim around 50 yards further round, tree lined and looked attractive, but I tackled up without any real expectations.

Standard tactics on small cage feeder filled with method mix and pellet on one rod and cubed luncheon meat on the other.
Previously, it was a chore to try and get your bait past the 'pasties' before it hit bottom, quite often not even time to get the rod on the rests before line was peeling off the spool.

This time, both baits out, rods sat on rests and time to sit down and wait, and wait.....Several more casts, not even a pastie troubling the rods am I going to blank at the 'Unblankable' water...?

Then, some action at last! Whilst staring intently at the immovable bobbins I am aware of a movement at the edge of my vision. Something long and curved appears by my right arm, and as I slightly turn my head I catch sight of a goose's head in my bait bucket.
20240808_082447.jpg
The sneaky avian had crept up behind me in stealth mode and was breakfasting on my method mix. It was persuaded to go away with a large amount of hissing on both sides, and I settled back to blanking, except not.
Like a light switch going off, bobbins started slapping against rod butts
20240808_081749.jpg

20240808_110501.jpg

20240808_113224.jpg

About a dozen of this size and then:
20240808_120304.jpg

A 'scraper' double.

While this is all going on, I had noticed some commotion right on the edge of the bank. A couple of small balls of mix tossed in and I had carp right under my rod top
20240808_132551.jpg

20240808_124907.jpg

An opportunity too good to miss, rods reeled in and moving back from the edge I now drop a bait literally over the edge.Don't have to wait long and line is fast peeling off the reel and:
20240808_131652.jpg

20240808_131701.jpg

20240808_133517.jpg

20240808_135046.jpg

In fact, it was too easy. Even if I landed a fish through this shoal, they carried on feeding, so much so, that I thought, what if I lay the landing net in the water, drop some method mix on it, could I scoop up one of these fish? The answer was:
20240808_140901.jpg

YES!!!!. Not just one, but two fish in one scoop!!!

So, after the disappointment of not fishing where I was planning to, a day really like no other. On the tackle front, I noticed that when using Pellet 'Os' the longer you use them the more attractive they appear to fish.

You can catch up to half a dozen fish on the same Pellet and the more manky they look the better they work. Must be something to do with scent release as the pellets break down?

And finally, picked up this little chap and wondered if it might make a good bait.
20240808_115733.jpg
So, I........put him back on a leaf, caught enough fish for one day 😁

Last edited: