How did you get on?

@Clive

Reaction score
Having fished less this year than I can ever remember due to other commitments when the chance arose to have a couple of days I jumped at it and set off after a Barbel. I had my specimen head on so intentionally tried to avoid the places I knew I could bag up and set my stall out for a better fish.

View attachment 30871

As is usual when I have a bit more time on my hands I spent a fair proportion of it just driving round looking at various spots. I had not fished the river for a while and it looked a little out of sorts however I finally settled on a stretch that I knew quite well but decided to fish a slower deeper area I had not fished before. I put out a decent amount of hemp and pellets and then made myself comfortable with the intention to sit it out and wait for the fish to come to me. An hour or two in and I had a thumping take that I somehow contrived to miss. Swinging the bait back out I only had to wait a few minutes before it thumped round again and I landed a Barbel of around 6lb.

Someone liked the bait..
View attachment 30872

Given it was now already past 5pm and with all the bait I put out and the fish apparently coming on the feed it didn’t make much sense what I did next....I decided to up sticks and drive 40mins to a totally new stretch I have never fished before !!! Its hard to explain but I just felt that I was in the wrong spot and if I wanted the chance of a better fish I needed to move. Call it angling intuition or just stupidity I have no idea ! ..Throwing all the gear in the car I raced off to the new area. With evening starting to set in I had a quick plumb around and found a nice gravel run in about 10 foot of water & droppered out some more hemp and pellets and flicked out a couple of baits. With the sun starting to drop the rod tore off and I hooked a fish that held deep but with sustained pressure I eventually got it in the net - which shattered as I attempted to hoist the fish up the steep overgrown bank !…I have lost count of the number of net heads and handles I have now gone through.
The fish was a well proportioned chunky fish that felt heavier than I expected so I decided to weigh it & was pleasantly surprised when it tipped the scales at 9lb 3oz. I know fish of that size are hardly worth a mention in the UK but in France that’s a very good fish.

9lb 3oz ..small fry for the UK but a nice fish for France..
View attachment 30873

The rest of the trip was conducted in less than ideal blazing hot bright sun so I took the opportunity to look around a few more areas and went home happy with the fish and the new stretch found. It was nice to get the rods out again.
Congratulations Philip. (y)

I know just how rare fish of that size are. Well done!

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Philip, I have a Gardner foldable 26in net, when I bought it I was slightly concerned it might be a little weak, but my fears were unfounded, I've landed quite a few double figure fish on it and had it for 18 months or more, the design and materials used in the crucial places are sock on, to top that the net dries quickly...

To add, you have a very load set of bite alarms under your rods, quack....

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
In the campervan at Vers for two nights. First cast I had this "goldfish", looks like the same fish I caught here last year!

IMG_20240716_162027.jpg

Islandbear

Reaction score
Lovely day bankside, despite the lil showers coming through. 2 beautiful tinca tinca with one breaking my pb by 1 oz ( they all count.) Got dropped in the lilles with another and one slipped hook near net 😭 5 bream 1 hybrid (I belive as nit caught before ) and half a dozen pesky lil Perch. Loving this speedia centrepin now. Great fun when the ole tench head down tail slapping.
20240716_104719.jpg20240716_145020.jpg20240716_102324.jpg20240716_110314.jpg20240716_115948.jpg20240716_131858.jpg20240716_154209.jpg20240716_164349.jpg20240716_172256.jpg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Zilch, nul points, not a boogaloo, 3 hours two swims, bread and sweetcorn plus plenty of groundbait. I did see one splash as I set up which I thought might have been a mullet but no sign of them, however, thought I might have got a roach or something. I don't like the look of what the EA are doing down by the sluice gates, something right across the river, I will have to try and find out more.
Cormorant surfaced in my second swim but on the far bank and then flew off so, I don't think it was that and a Kingfisher blitzed pass me. I really think I might have to have a go at some sea fishing soon.
100_1549.JPG
100_1550.JPG
100_1551.JPG

riverman

Reaction score
Having fished less this year than I can ever remember due to other commitments when the chance arose to have a couple of days I jumped at it and set off after a Barbel. I had my specimen head on so intentionally tried to avoid the places I knew I could bag up and set my stall out for a better fish.

View attachment 30871

As is usual when I have a bit more time on my hands I spent a fair proportion of it just driving round looking at various spots. I had not fished the river for a while and it looked a little out of sorts however I finally settled on a stretch that I knew quite well but decided to fish a slower deeper area I had not fished before. I put out a decent amount of hemp and pellets and then made myself comfortable with the intention to sit it out and wait for the fish to come to me. An hour or two in and I had a thumping take that I somehow contrived to miss. Swinging the bait back out I only had to wait a few minutes before it thumped round again and I landed a Barbel of around 6lb.

Someone liked the bait..
View attachment 30872

Given it was now already past 5pm and with all the bait I put out and the fish apparently coming on the feed it didn’t make much sense what I did next....I decided to up sticks and drive 40mins to a totally new stretch I have never fished before !!! Its hard to explain but I just felt that I was in the wrong spot and if I wanted the chance of a better fish I needed to move. Call it angling intuition or just stupidity I have no idea ! ..Throwing all the gear in the car I raced off to the new area. With evening starting to set in I had a quick plumb around and found a nice gravel run in about 10 foot of water & droppered out some more hemp and pellets and flicked out a couple of baits. With the sun starting to drop the rod tore off and I hooked a fish that held deep but with sustained pressure I eventually got it in the net - which shattered as I attempted to hoist the fish up the steep overgrown bank !…I have lost count of the number of net heads and handles I have now gone through.
The fish was a well proportioned chunky fish that felt heavier than I expected so I decided to weigh it & was pleasantly surprised when it tipped the scales at 9lb 3oz. I know fish of that size are hardly worth a mention in the UK but in France that’s a very good fish.

9lb 3oz ..small fry for the UK but a nice fish for France..
View attachment 30873

The rest of the trip was conducted in less than ideal blazing hot bright sun so I took the opportunity to look around a few more areas and went home happy with the fish and the new stretch found. It was nice to get the rods out again.
thats a cracker philip well done sir. (y)

nottskev

Reaction score
Two feet of extra water on the river after yesterday's rain. Ok for barbel but I did that last time out and I like variety. The tench pit has been poor after the cold wet spring. I settled for the woodland pond. After 3 day's solid diy I wasn't that fussy, to be frank, and I was glad to get out. Besides, I'd made up a set of pole rigs for the place. I set off at around 2.30pm. It was around 2.50pm, after crawling along the ring road out of town, that it dawned on me that these pole rigs were in a box in the kitchen and that I only had a pole and no rods and reels with me. I'd had enough of the ring road, and there were a couple of tubes of floats in the bag, so I thought, sod it, I'll improvise something.

DE38.jpg

Once again, I'd contrived to be bream fishing in sunny flat calm weather, but the place is a treat, catch them or not. I chopped an inch or so off a waggler and fashioned a rudimentary dibber. It didn't help that the tip colour was an exact match for some of the tree reflections, and it was now you see it, now you don't. The first fish pulled me all round the pond. You won't see many pics of barbel next to a pole tip and an inch of peacock

DE39.jpg

It wasn't really the right day or the right float for 5' of water, and the bream weren't too cooperative. Still, I got a few and it didn't rain, which is something to be thankful for in this gloomy summer.

DE40.jpg

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I fished the now not so deep farm reservoir (5ft down) on arrival there were 14 cars in the car park, mainly carp anglers, so I headed to the far end of the lake, not wanting the possibility of hooking a carp on float gear and wiping their rods out so I wobbled up the far end where the water is slightly shallower with a gentler slope than the rest of the lake, I wagglered it around 3 rods out in 6-7ft of water fishing corn and feeding it sparingly along with dampened mixed 6mm trout and carp pellets, well I ended up with 5 bream between 3lb 8ozs and 5lbs, four skimmers and a roach bream hybrid.... sadly it was wl scorching and made me feel quite rough, I was well sun screened, long sleeve shirted and hatted, so I think the heat just got to me, the problem is judging the right amount of fluid to take...

seth49

Reaction score
Back on our syndicate water yesterday, it was a hot day to till we got some cloud cover later, which helped a bit, fished both pole and tip rod, mainly pole as not many bites on the feeder, maggots did best yesterday with the usual skimmers hogging the swim,

had 3 tench, 4 F1s, 3 stockie barbel, 4 roach, and 16 skimmers, so catching a few more for a change, but it’s still not fishing as normal, the tench don’t look to have spawned yet either.

20240718_152027.jpeg
20240718_150115.jpeg

Attachments

• 20240718_105358.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 30

flightliner

Reaction score
I went back to the tiny shallow notts river wednesday last, had two Chub on sub surface bread, an interesting result.
I tried floating crust without any takes or swirls on the free offerings or my baited hook, but close downstream I noticed a few chublets and decided to see if I could tempt one.
I put a little bread on my hook and squeezing hard to make it sink tried to tempt one, no joy, but I could see them playing " football" with it below the surface.
On a whim I decided to try the method downstream near the fallen tree.
First run down produced nothing but I still struck as usual the same way as I strike when ending a trot with float gear.
Second run down nothing untill striking, nothing there but a split second later i felt the thump of a lively Chub, perhaps I'd switched on their predatory instincts, who knows but the chub was very welcome under the circumstances.
Next run down another chub fell to the same method, that was the end of any more results so I decided to end it there.
IMG_20240717_154335.jpg

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well fished the club match yesterday evening at least i caught just under 2lb total for a tail end finish the canal fished terribly last night i fished a peg i actually fish frequently and last night was the worst i have had for a good time SO i am looking at heading back to the same peg this evening see if i can do better some you win other you make a complete fluff of

Islandbear

Reaction score
Early doors to beat the heat....went to New lake at first but nowt doing there after hours. So roved up too Old lake and usual swim. Tis good coz hid in trees, so good shelter for moi, and twas only moi out bankside.
Few hiccups, like being snapped by a reasonable looking Tench, which meant I lost a fave float and salt too wounds, kicked me rod rest in water 🙈😭
6 bream later many pesky perch, was all in all a good day well you know what I mean.
20240719_111844.jpg20240719_080449.jpg20240719_141041.jpg20240719_134657.jpg20240719_124711.jpg20240719_123811.jpg

@Clive

Reaction score
Wilf phone yesterday to see if I was going fishing. I said no because of the weather. I don't know of anywhere suitable for two anglers in 30C. In the end I decided to go myself as sitting under a tree near water was better than gardening.

I went to visit my Nemesis on the River Vienne. Usually whenever I visit this stretch I get trashed by a catfish. It started around ten years ago when an encounter while barbel fishing left me with a scorched thumb and around 20 yards less line on the Speedia than when I started. Over the years I have had breakages caused by bizzare incidents. A brand new Emcast, first time out when the 8 strand braid somehow found a gap in the bail mechanism causing the line to break like a rifle shot. Twice my line parted for no apparent reason. The reason being faulty sliding ledger links that had swarf in the barrels. Twice last month I had bite offs on the strike. In the ten years I have also had many unstoppable runs that end in line breakages. Today it found a new way to humiliate me.

I started with an Ugly Stik 6-10 oz Uptider rod, Okuma Trent reel, 18lb mono backed up with 100lb braid, catfish leader and well-sharpened 2/0 hook. Baits were prawns and luncheon meat, both ignored all morning. Normally when this happens I change to a lighter rod like an Avon with single maize grain and get trashed. Today, my 'light' rod was a 2.75lb pike dead bait rod, Shimano 8000 Baitrunner, 15lb line straight through to a size 4 hook. Smaller sections of meat and prawn were ignored so I fished around in my bait bag and found the last one in a bag of shelf life Monster Crab boilies. I made a hair out of 6lb line, attached the boilie and lobbed the bait out. 10 minutes later the bobbin rose and I struck into the fish. Instead of rushing off downstream under the trees as it normally does it went towards mid-river. "Brilliant" I thought. "I can have a better chance now." The rod started to load and I was just expecting the clutch to kick in when the hook pulled out. Or did it? Closer examination revealed that the boilie, loop and bait stop were missing. The fish hadn't been hooked! It had just clamped onto the boilie. Bah! Back to the drawing board.

During the session the river level and flow varied. It seemed to go in a cycle. When the river rose the flow was greatest. While it was dropping around two feet the flow slowed. At low water it was virtually still. During one of those periods I noticed something swimming across the river towards me it was a vole and the plucky little rodent managed the 70 or 80 yard width without getting snaffled. A bit later a viper swam upstream and returned a few minutes later. I spooked it and it dived and swam off underwater.

chevin4

Reaction score
After having a couple of mini breaks with the missus it was nice to get fishing again last week. I obtained a guest ticket for pal Tim and fished Thursday into Friday on my syndicate lake. The weather was typical of this summer being cool but over the two days remained dry. Tim had a fishing ready swim which has produced tench into double figures and 3lb plus perch. The swim I selected has also produced big tench in the past but it was obviously not fished recently as the reeds had covered the area which is normally clear. It was a case of getting the chest waders on and spending an hour or so making a clearing for three rods. I totally blanked on Thursday whilst Tim caught quality perch a roach of 1lb 8oz and a decent male tench just over 6lb. Friday dawned unseasonably cold but first cast of the morning at 5am resulted in a roach of 1lb 8oz. To be honest I was tench fishing but it is nice to see the roach coming back on the lake. I finished up with 12 roach 6 of which were over 1lb 6oz the best going 1lb 11oz. Tim struggled on Friday with just a few small perch to show for his efforts. Maggot feeder was the successful method the worm rig and boillie drew a blank. Pic 1lb 10oz roach

Attachments

• 20240712_140055.jpg
    20240712_140055.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26

nottskev

Reaction score
A proper summer's day at last! Breakfast in the garden, hacked a metre or so off a stretch of laurel hedge (the little plants were cheap. Nobody told me they'd grow higher than the bungalow), undercoated some woodwork, had lunch and at 3.30pm set off for the tench pit. I haven't had a good session on there in this year's grim wet weather. It was looking good when I got there. Nobody on. A swim under trees out of the sun, and I even remembered to bring an 11' float rod in case I ended up in one of the parrot cages

DF15.jpg

With colour in the water and weed visible for the first time this year, I was expecting plenty of tench. Whatever they fancied - red maggot, diced red meat, snippets of mussel - I had it. I set up the rod and pin, plumbed up the ideal spot in 7' of water two rods out, fed a couple of small balls of groundbait and a some maggots and meat, and anticipated a typical midsummer evening catch on here like this

DF17.jpg

But the tench hadn't read the script. I could barely get a bite and when I did it was from little roach that would normally be pushed out of the swim by a horde of tench. I tried this and that and here and there, but no sign of a tench. About 6.30 pm, a couple of hours in, the cows paddled in for a drink, and it was easy to imagine how good that felt on this hot, still evening

DF16.jpg

Meanwhile, I couldn't catch a tench by any means and this was the sum total of my efforts

DF19.jpg

Hmm. I packed up. We all need a good excuse from time to time. I had mine ready. When do tench spawn? Later than other coarse fish in general. And more specifically, around tea-time on a Friday. Driving out, I stopped for a chat with the owner. He pointed down at the swim we were chatting by. Bloke on here had 30 tench this morning, Kev. I'm so pleased to hear that, Brian.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I took a trip to the Eden at Penshurst this afternoon. I couldn’t see any cows in the field so headed for the swim I fancied last week. I’ve fished if previously a few years ago. It didn’t look to have been fished for a good while as there were rushes dead in front of the peg. A few swishes with my machete and I had a gap. It was probably the muddiest peg on the river and my gear and boots
IMG_6331.jpeg
are caked. Anyway, I set up two quiver rods, one with straight lead and the other with an open end feeder. First cast with the straight lead and raw king prawn and before I had set the other rod I had a small chub just under 3lb. I fished quite large baits and it was a bit slow. The feeder rod tore off and a decent fish found the sanctuary of the opposite bank reeds. Then a really pretty looking perch, not the largest of fish but really vivid colours and that lovely brassy sheen to the gill plates. Just before knocking off I had a real old warrior of a tench of about 3lb’s. I had one of 6lb 8oz from the same spot a few years ago. A buzzard spent a couple of hours circling in the thermals over the field opposite, they seem quite common around this way nowadays. I must have gone most of my life without ever seeing one or a red Kite for that matter. Not the best few hours fishing but enjoyable all the same and I was glad that I went. Now I’ve got to clean all that bloody mud off, lol.
IMG_6321.jpeg
IMG_6323.jpeg
IMG_6329.jpeg
IMG_6335.jpeg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A spot of briney fishing, I forgot it is the time of the march of the spider crab on their way to a breeding ground wherever that is. The swines actually cut my line; I knew they were nibbling it and then reeled in and all my trace gone; cut right through; so changed to a bit of float fishing with a decent float, at least I can see it. Only had mackerel strips for bait, couldn't get any sandeels, the tackle shop told me hasn't had any last year either (there is a tale in that!), nothing caught but one chinese bloke passed me on his way home and he had had a couple of mackerel but then they always catch something, inscrutable --------. Me, zilch again but even Jack Sparrow couldn't spot any fish and I did ask (the world is going nuts). Anyway nice to be out, a bit cloudy later and my first sea trip for a long time, tides are fairly good this week so might give it some more.
100_1555.JPG
100_1556.JPG
100_1563.JPG