How did you get on?

terry m

Reaction score
Sat behind my rods yesterday evening with little confidence as it has been tough going lately. However one lunatic run resulted in a 22lb 6oz common. Didn’t take a picture as I am 90% sure it is the same fish caught earlier in the summer at 1oz difference. Nonetheless it was great to get a good bend in the rod.

nottskev

Reaction score
Last time out, about a hundred bites. Just 12 this afternoon, but every fish a clonker. I started off on a slider. The water's not that deep but the flow is heavy and striking through the float is less clunky, and you can lift and drop your bait in some ways that seem to get more bites. A fish on the first run through is always a welcome start

Ct4.jpg

I had another fish later on with similar tail damage. After a couple on the float, bites dried up, so I stripped the float and olivette off and touch-legered with a blob of modelling clay. The bottom is rocky, and if you're lucky the clay will pull off the line when it gets snagged. That got a bite straight away. The clay blob is next to the reel in the pic

Ct3.jpg

After that, I alternated between float and touch leger. I'd brought another rod with a fs in case I ended up in a swim where I had to fish well out, so instead of taking the float on and off, I used that. It meant I was legering with a pin and float fishing with a fs, but why not?

Ct5.jpg

It was a lovely session in hazy sunshine, so much so that I was less bothered than I might have been when the last fish I hooked ran up and downstream at will before taking off for the east coast. I suppose you can't win 'em all.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Been today on the deep lake I've joined trying for the big roach, fat chance, I had 58 skimmers between 12ozs and a pound and a half, 9 roach, biggest 6ozs and a bream of 7lb 3ozs, method, slider feeding pellet and corn, corn on the hook...

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Back at the club fishery yesterday, as the carp have been coming into the margins now, I gave Mick my favourite peg, and showed him how I fished it, he still went his own way, but he had a decent mixed bag of it.

i picked a peg lower down the peg, two away from mick as we find the margins fish better if you have some room either side, started on the float to my left, and hooked four carp, which all came off, foul hooked as twice the hook came back with a scale on it.

and then followed a most exasperated day when I switched to the floater, I was fishing close in sometimes by my feet, and the number of bites I missed was ridiculous, I could see them sucking the floater in, but failed to connect with most of them, just seemed to pull it out of there mouths with hooking very few, I did land seven plus two F1s, the best just under 12 lbs, plus another double of 11lb 6 ozs.

so an interesting day, the weather was good although a bit cold in the morning, I did have the bait on a very short hair, will try on the hook next time.
Screenshot_20240830_080653_Gallery.jpeg

peterjg

Reaction score
This month (Aug) I went fishing 13 times (same as last month). Four times with my wife and once on a family day with 8 of us fishing - good fun but bedlam! I fished the Kennet four times and on one trip had a wrap around take on the feeder rod (sweetcorn) and played what I thought was a very big barbel but after a lengthy fight and after gently coaxing it back upstream unfortunately realised it was a carp (guessing about 15lbs, a bronzy coloured common) which I lost at the net!
The bigger roach fishing on the gravel pits started well but with the hot weather they soon lost interest and refused to take pellets, on one occasion the water temperature was 73F! Did catch some small roach and rudd. On one trip I caught a 14lb 7oz grass carp, never caught one before so well pleased.
A lovely very quiet lake on a heath was fished a few times and I managed roach, rudd, skimmers and tench. One morning just before dawn I thought I heard in the distance a pneumatic road drill - surely not that early?? I googled "call of a nightjar" and am now convinced that is what I heard. Never actually seen one but apparently they like heathland.
Decent roach can be just so pedantic, sometimes they want sweetcorn or macaroni or pellets or big bits of bread but wheat is almost always (after a wait) acceptable.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
After an awful visit to the outlaw Saturday my wife and son were going to come with me to Bedford and whilst they were strolling around the shops I was going to give the river a go, that went belly up and I ended up going on my own, disastrously, turned up and the county hall car park wouldn't let me in, so I went to the college car park, paid £2 for a days parking, loaded my barrow only to find the exit nearest the river was locked, equating to a half a mile push to get to the swims, so loaded the car, drove out and went to another car park I'd never used before, tried two machines, both wouldn't accept my visa card, or cash, so ended up driving angrily to the deep lake I fished Thursday, now this irrigation reservoir has been pumping out relentlessly for two months and now it is a 25-30 yard cast to find deep water, with around 7-8ft at 20 yards, I'd bought a bag if brown crumb and was going on the feeder, until I tried mixing the groundbait, it was awful, it just went claggy, even though I added water sparingly and stirred it vigorously, so I ended up feeding six coconuts in at 15yds knowing they would probably take over an hour to break up, loose fed pellet and corn and fished corn, starting at 11am and packing at 3.30pm because I was so hot having the sun in my face all day, caught 27 skimmers 10ozs to a pound, 4 hybrids to a pound and 8 roach best 2 around 8ozs, returned home feeling quite rough as I hadn't took enough water, idiot....lol.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
After an awful visit to the outlaw Saturday my wife and son were going to come with me to Bedford and whilst they were strolling around the shops I was going to give the river a go, that went belly up and I ended up going on my own, disastrously, turned up and the county hall car park wouldn't let me in, so I went to the college car park, paid £2 for a days parking, loaded my barrow only to find the exit nearest the river was locked, equating to a half a mile push to get to the swims, so loaded the car, drove out and went to another car park I'd never used before, tried two machines, both wouldn't accept my visa card, or cash, so ended up driving angrily to the deep lake I fished Thursday, now this irrigation reservoir has been pumping out relentlessly for two months and now it is a 25-30 yard cast to find deep water, with around 7-8ft at 20 yards, I'd bought a bag if brown crumb and was going on the feeder, until I tried mixing the groundbait, it was awful, it just went claggy, even though I added water sparingly and stirred it vigorously, so I ended up feeding six coconuts in at 15yds knowing they would probably take over an hour to break up, loose fed pellet and corn and fished corn, starting at 11am and packing at 3.30pm because I was so hot having the sun in my face all day, caught 27 skimmers 10ozs to a pound, 4 hybrids to a pound and 8 roach best 2 around 8ozs, returned home feeling quite rough as I hadn't took enough water, idiot....lol.

It's like one of those dreams where you're trying to do something but can never get to it. Still - I've had worse catches!

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Yeah, the catch was OKish😉, but what went on beforehand was quite surreal, every step forward seemed to be followed by two back, I was barking as I left Bedford, good job nobody cut me up , I'd have stopped them and chewed on their stumps, I'd have ripped their head off instantly....

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Yeah, the catch was OKish😉, but what went on beforehand was quite surreal, every step forward seemed to be followed by two back, I was barking as I left Bedford, good job nobody cut me up , I'd have stopped them and chewed on their stumps, I'd have ripped their head off instantly....
I thought we went fishing to relax and unwind, lol.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I did, but the saga of the car parking put paid to that, last year I could have parked in the first two car parks and got straight to the river and the town centre, on Sunday neither were possible, with no other options a 20 plus mile journey was wasted, hey-ho, that's fishing in 2024...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The only day I can go this week is today, but after Sunday's parking shambles, then hearing the sad news that my aunt who I acted as pall bearer for her husband's (my uncle) funeral only two months ago passed away on Sunday evening, plus the miserable weather has totally put paid to any interest I might have had, I've got that can't be arsed feeling...

flightliner

Reaction score
I went out with my wife and an old friend and his wife yesterday on a nostalgic journey to Woodhall spa and Tattershall where we both enjoyed our holidays when we were teenagers (my old friend) back in the mid sixties.
We stopped beside the Witham near the the Kings Arms pub to have look at the river, and tho I knew it has a weed problem it was still a shock to see it covered in thick green coating of the stuff (duckweed by the look of it). Later, after a quick look around Woodhall spa we ran up to Tattershall to look at the river Bain only to see it about a third of the width it was in the sixties.
A possible cause of the weed in the Witham could be nitrates spread on the land but I think the Bain is down to pure neglect.
We fished both the Witham, Bain and some gravel pits (now Tattershall country park) but are now a far cry from what they were back in the sixties😕😩!

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Had a day on the Wey today. River quite low and lots of pennywort so swims for float fishing were few and far between. Started in the furthest away from the car and worked back towards it, switching to feeder in the last 2 swims as too difficult to trot. A decent day, maybe 20 roach with 2really nice ones, a dozen dace, maybe 6 each chub and perch, 2 min8 Rudd and loads of micro dace,chub and bleak. Messed up my change bait so only had maggots - nothing over 3/4lb and best fish on the feeder. Hopefully go again this week. Photo of the weirpool swim.
IMG_6069.jpeg

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
September is the month I start taking fishing seriously again! After the sultry summer months where tourists swim in some of my favourite parts of the river I finally have peace again!

This swim is often good for a few 6 pound barbel, today it looked perfect for an afternoon into darkness session...... :rolleyes:

IMG_20240910_161931~2.jpg

Within a few minutes Alistair had the first barbel of just a couple of pounds, shortly after I had one about the same size. I did not take photos as I was confident the bigger fish would arrive by evening.

IMG_20240910_151746.jpg

My "National Geographic" camera tripod with it Korum buzz bar addition was perfect for this beach.

But the only further twitches to my rod tip were probably crayfish as my boilies were whittled down! I even tried a bunch of big garden worms and Alistair tried prawns, all to no avail!

IMG_20240910_193432~3.jpg

......and onwards into darkness, usually I would feel anticipation or even maybe excitement as the sun decends. But I certainly was not "feeling it" and nor were the fish!

Even in apparently perfect river conditions it is the fish who often win!

Last edited:

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
‘FrankenFloats and FrankenFeeders......

Back at the lake ‘Where you can’t blank’ (I am determined to disprove that statement!) with what are probably solutions to problems that didn’t exist.

Firstly, I have been using a small cage feeder previously with some success, but I have had the occasional tangle where the hook has caught in the cage mesh. This probably comes as result of having to use a very short hook length. I had used an inline ‘ Shotgun’ feeder before without issues, and this would be fine if I hadn’t trod on my last one when packing up after the last session.

So, a rummage through my ‘bits’ and I came across an inline method feeder. I had tried method feeders on this water but the open mix is mullered by the resident pasties as soon as it hit the water. I did get round this by wrapping the loaded feeder with a PVA mesh girdle, bit it is a bit of a faff. You have to use very dry mix, and do it very quickly..!

Time for some cobbling together and a mesh feeder was sacrificed and mounted to the also butchered inline and voilà, a ‘FrankenFeeder’ inline cage feeder was born!
20240909_081409.jpg

Did it work, I hear you say, and the answer is yes, as demonstrated below, 1st cast out!
20240909_114638.jpg
Having seen quite a few carp larger carp cruising around something else would be needed to overcome the ‘No floating baits’ rule on this pond.

I had toyed with using a Method feeder float, but this is one venue where carpet bombing with massive loaded floats is likely to be frowned upon by those anglers float fishing the margins and having to deal with the tsunamis caused when these monsters hit the water.

Again, more cobbling was done, and a butchered small pike float was mated to a similarly ‘adapted’ Drennan feeder. This provided me with a more delicate way of fishing very near the surface, with the bait sitting just below a float which was allowing a steady stream of method mix as an attractant, the ‘FrankenFloat’ was spawned. And, did it work, well, see below:
20240910_102354.jpg
Once again, this was a success
20240909_095250.jpg

But, did these tackle ‘developments’ make any difference? They did reduce the attention of the smaller carp, although the odd little scamp did sneak in:
20240909_100213.jpg

And I don’t doubt that there are commercially made variations of my abominations are available which are better made and more effective, but there is a certain satisfaction to be gained by making something with your own hands and to find it actually works.

However, on a different note I did notice a turning of the seasons. The trip from the car park to the swims on this lake take you under some power lines and the pylons were crackling like cheap sausages in a frying pan, and there was that feeling in the crisp morning air that autumn had arrived. October looms and it’s time to dust off the pike tackle....😁

Attachments

• 20240909_095250.jpg
    20240909_095250.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I’ve been in a chalet on the banks of the Wye at Hay since Monday. We’re in Wales but the far bank is in England. That’s “my” swim in the pic. I’ve got 2 miles to go at but I didn’t come here to carry tackle. The town’s lovely, as if they’ve sieved out all the good stuff - fine stone buildings, a castle, no end of cafes and pubs, real butchers, book shops everywhere.

Sod’s law dictated that all that rain last weekend put the river up, and my swim’s on a rapid, rocky section so no choice but fish smelly groundbait and meat with 4 oz feeders and aim for a clear patch. It’s dropped a lot now so I’ll have a better idea of the contours of the swim next time I fish.

So far, I’ve just had an hour each day and caught a couple of small barbel each time.

IMG_4632.jpeg

IMG_4639.jpeg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My trip to the Eden was pretty terrible even by my standards. I arrived around midday and when I approached the car park there was a car there already, bloody cheek. The swim I fancied was vacant so I plopped myself down there. I bait droppered a decent amount of hemp, pellets and a few king prawn and garlic sausage bits in and started to set up. I intended to fish a straight lead under my feet and a feeder further down stream. The weather forecast was pretty good with a small chance of rain mid afternoon, they should be shot! It was nice early afternoon then about five thirty when there was supposed to be zero chance of rain there was a full blown thunderstorm. Lightning, thunder and hail for about an hour I managed to erect my shelter in time but left my waterproofs in my car. I was only parked about fifty meters away but I would have been soaked through, when it slowed I made a dash and was togged up properly. I stayed till just gone ten and it was dire. Two other blokes had blanked while I had one small chub of about a pound. The banks were very slippery and I managed to lose my footing and slip while I was taking my gear back to the car, with cat like agility I grabbed something to break my fall, unfortunately it was a barbed wire fence and I hit the ground like a sack of King Edwards and gashed the palm of my hand in three places on the fence. I was now entangled in the bloody fence as well and it didn’t help that my headlight pinged off into the field. I finally freed myself but not before I buggered up my jacket and hooded jumper. When I got back to the car I thought I had better clean my hand and take a look, no wet wipes. My missus for some reason took them from the car and didn’t replace them, grrr. I had to make do with hand sanitizer and tissue, which stung a little as you can imagine. All in all a really crappy day.
IMG_6555.jpeg
I was thinking on my way home how potentially dangerous it could have been. Break a leg there and you would be screwed. No phone or internet signal and god knows how far the nearest house is. Today it was relatively busy, most times I rarely see another angler and there is no right of way along either bank.

On one of our other club waters, which is lovely but gated and remote, our rather elderly bailiff slipped and broke his leg. Likewise another place where there is no phone signal. He dragged himself along the ground back to his car, then drove to the gate, unlocked it and drove to the nearest A&E about five miles away. Tough old sod, but that could also have been disastrous. I could have made things worse for myself by telling my wife that I didn’t know when I would be home and that she would see me when she saw me. It could have been the next day when the alarm was raised, then she wouldn’t have known where I was.

IMG_6550.jpeg

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
As we get to an age we think of these possibilities, when you were 40 would you have even given it a seconds thought, probably not, these days I don't fish the Ivel, because during winter I believe the banks are too steep and slippery for me to get my gear in place...and it's not that bad in the main, I also tend to fish venues that I can push my barrow down(if I'm intending a days float or feeder fishing) because lugging my seat box and especially my jumbo carryall would kill me, and many people that know me today that see me barbel fishing know that I can yomp a bit with that gear(and it isn't that light), I'm afraid risk assessments have to be made...