Reaction score
i was inspired by my fishing today to write a poem

Oh mighty swan
How great and powerful in every dimension
A flighted manifestation of God's pointing finger
Who delivered a fabled Goddess from the river Issus
why do you like my pellets so much
And Bring your kids into my swim like an aquatic chav
Why don't you go after that bloke opposite ?
The one who is pulling all the carp out
If you don't its the landing net for you again

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I like a good rhyme
Have you seen one?:D

Am suffering badly from Hayfever at the moment so haven't been out since the solstice. Am going to do a long weekend starting on Friday, so feel a three day blank coming up!:eek: Just hope that I don't need the anti histamine by then.

Stu

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Ha ha philistines a true artist doesn't care about fame only his art.

That said the plan to fish like Tommy pickering went out the window as I just had so many fish in the corner of the pool i decode to fish , numerous small roach taking corn on a size 12 hook ! Oh plus numerous swans

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thank you Dylangesserit...........
snoring.gif

greenie62

Reaction score
Am suffering badly from Hayfever at the moment

I dose up regularly on Loratadine (Clarityn) to reduce the effects of hayfever which I've suffered for over 50 years.
Advantages of taking the Anti-histamines is that it reduces the effect of:
- Nettle stings
- Midge bites
Every Cloud ... eh?
Cheers :thumbs:

ashes68

Reaction score
Just had a four hour evening session on a Bristol Avon wier pool. Luncheon meat on a link ledger. Four eels, up to pound and half. Three chub, up to four pound and what I hoped was a barbel. But no it was a pike pushing ten pound. My hook length went ping just as I got it in the net!. Had a spell on worm and had a few perch. All on a avanti rdx 2 barbel rod, that I saw on eBay for almost no money. It was just down the road from me, so I thought why not. Have to say I seriously impressed with it for the money, after the ten pound pike, it handled it easily.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On Monday I fished a seriously over grown little stream, nearly packed up and went home. In the end I fished for two hours and caught one little plump roach. This rain should change things a bit. The water needs a bit of colour and cooling down a bit. Weed growth is exceptional I would imagine, mild winter, good spring, lots of sun. I bet its a problem on many waters.

lambert1

Reaction score
Hectic week and my weekly outing was in serious threat until the weather intervened and I had to abandon mowing a lawn. I grabbed some pearl barley and bread and headed off to the river pronto. I was after Roach and did manage one small one of about a couple of ounces but rather more surprisingly a feisty little Perch of about six ounces took a liking to it. Both fish were in beautiful condition and colour and lip hooked (always a relief with Perch), which shows my reflexes are not as knackered as my eyesight! I am enjoying getting used to my centrepin and have not used a fixed spool in anger yet this season, but my catches have been small so far, so next week it will be bigger baits and a quiver tip as well. Managed to break my fold up stool, which kept sinking into the soft bank and I ended up on my arse with legs in the air as the strain on the plastic collar was too much. Seemed to kill the swim for some reason:wh

greenie62

Reaction score
headed off to the river pronto.
Hi Lambert1:
Well you've got me stumped - I thought I knew most Thames tributaries - but I couldn't find the River Pronto anywhere! ;):)
Tight Lines! :thumbs:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I dose up regularly on Loratadine (Clarityn) to reduce the effects of hayfever which I've suffered for over 50 years.
Advantages of taking the Anti-histamines is that it reduces the effect of:
- Nettle stings
- Midge bites
Every Cloud ... eh?
Cheers
Thanks Greenie,

I've had to alter my dose this year for the first time in a long time and it's sort of under control. It's just that intermittant irritation that precedes a short sneezing fit. I always get it around 16th June (maybe I'm allergic to the fishing season!:D)and normally lasts a couple of weeks, hanging around a bit this year.

You are right about the side benefits, as you say, every cloud.....

Nothing that a pristine Leney or fat tench won't cure!

Stu

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

I fished a seriously over grown little stream
You're aren't exagerating!

Lovely looking Roach though.

Stu

greenie62

Reaction score
Nothing that a pristine Leney or fat tench won't cure!

Angling ..... the cure to all mens ills.

I wonder if we can get a prescription for it - or at least a free Rod Licence funded by the NHS! ;):cool:

lambert1

Reaction score
Well you've got me stumped - I thought I knew most Thames tributaries - but I couldn't find the River Pronto anywhere!
Tight Lines!

Blame the World Cup Greenie, its Portuguese for Loddon :wh

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Had a day at Marsh farm Surrey midweek and blanked! It was baking hot and barely a breath of wind. Very disappointing and long old day too...
Today a club fixture on a farm pond in Bucks. Cool with a chilly wind. So much so I had to borrow a fleece as I was freezing. Didn't fish great either.
Winner had a tench and a bream +bits for 10lb+
2nd; 5lb+ all perch. ( an 85 year old who was given 6 weeks to live 3 weeks ago)
3rd; 3lb+ bits. I struggled all day for 12oz. One small tench and some perch...
10 fished.

How did you get on?

Last edited:

law

Reaction score
Last 3 day carp session for me for a while. Went to Edenbrook in Oxted
Landed over 20 fish, this being the biggest, and the rest just touching 12lb. Not really my ideal venue due to the amount of smaller, single figure carp, but there we go.

22lb old warrior....
10447152_10152140159212307_3551946452988236916_n.jpg

I made a friend...
10525907_10152140159097307_8217792765613064809_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Also had a quick half hours surface fishing the other day and had these 2 on crust.

10501769_10152140184247307_7462709374139462450_n.jpg

10514693_10152140184282307_6752049958845920863_n.jpg

The Runner

Reaction score
Two nice evening sessions down the Colne in the absence of any match I fancied this weekend. Stick float rod , chair, nets and a box of bits...
Yesterday got down there about 5, one chub of 4 lb odd and a few bits from swim No 1, moved at around 7 to a swim that produced virtually nothing last year but where the floods have scoured it right down to the gravel again. Few roach and chublets to start then three chub in the space of 20 minutes all around 3 lb. Pulled out of another then back to small roach before called it a day shortly after 9
Went today at about 1 30, probably a bit early given that its ridiculously clear even by Colne standards at the moment. Had a look at another old favourite that was rotten last year, which looked spot on apart from the water clarity so decided to save it until the light dropped; wandered around with stick and maggot over 4 or 5 swims over the next few hours for one stray chub and the usual odds and ends. Started on the fancied swim at around 7, only a few perch in the first 40 minutes and then things got lively. Hooked nine chub in the next hour and a half. got five out, biggest 5-13 others 3-8 to 4-4 ish, broken by the first one on 0.13 before stepped up the hooklength to 0.15, and pulled out of 2 and had a B911 straightened by one trying to keep them out of the far bank snagpit. Actually, suppose I only lost three and a half, as last fish I landed had my lost hook in it, with the maggot still wriggling !
Ran out of bait at 9.15 and added 200 yards to my walk home for a celebratory pint in the General Eliott...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Noticed the roach making a welcome comeback to certain parts of the Colne and Frayes a few years ago - be nice if the dace could get back to 'decent' levels again.

Haven't been down the Elliott for years - used to call in after a session on what used to be the free stretch for a very good pint when 'American' Mike ran it in the 80's.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fished yesterday-the river was had more color in it with the recent rain so, I was expecting better things. In the end I had one small chub on sweetcorn. and plenty of small roach bites. Still bright and warm water and I only fished for 3 hours. I expect it would be best early morning, evening or night. Could not do that, still an enjoyable afternoon though.

The Runner

Reaction score
Noticed the roach making a welcome comeback to certain parts of the Colne and Frayes a few years ago - be nice if the dace could get back to 'decent' levels again.

Haven't been down the Elliott for years - used to call in after a session on what used to be the free stretch for a very good pint when 'American' Mike ran it in the 80's.

Yes, I remember Mike, used to get in there two or three nights a week when he ran it. Brilliant landlord but apparently the brewery weren't too impressed with some of his accounting practices so he "left". He then had the Pipemakers just over the road for a while before moving back to the States.

Plenty of little roach at Uxbridge at the moment, mainly in the backwater (we stocked about 10000 just before the floods) but dace still thin on the ground .They used to shoal up at the end of the season either just above Longbridge or upstream of the bridge opposite the Eliott but not in numbers for about 5 years now