How did you get on?

neil1970

Reaction score
Good day today, despite the rain.

Simon came and sat with me while I fished, and we moved through a couple of swims.

Sausage sizzle, peperami & fake maggot failed to get much of a response.

For the last half hour I went with halibut pellet over a handful of free offerings.

Second cast (sorry another barbel pic:)) 3.8lbs

And I got to tryout my new austrian army goretex jacket - worked brilliantly, and a bargain at 40 odd quid.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Please note that the 'like' didn't include the snottie Steve - must maintain standards...........;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Binka, I gave you a like because I love snotties...
Neil, I gave you a like for sticking it out in the rain.
I know you love catching barbel but the lovebite:eek:hno:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I went today but as soon as I arrived I knew I should've stayed in bed. Couldn't make up my mind on swims, and banking on a cloudy(ish) day eventually chose the wrong one...
First cast must've hit a bl**dy carp on the head as it tore off with my delicate hook length leaving a nice 'boil' in the swim. The sun came up and things settled down with a nice enough crucian of a 1lb+ taking a bottom fished crust.

I persevered and caught a few roach but for some reason I just couldn't settle into my fishing pattern, which means, for me, that I was overtired and concentration was ziltch. The morning wore on with a few more roach but I seemed to spend too much time thinking about changing depth, float and hook size.............That 'haven't got the set-up quite right' feeling I suppose.

Eventually I gave up - the correct word - and was glad to go home whereupon I had lunch and fell asleep in the chair for 2+ hours.....
I shall try again on Wednesday when the benefit of some extra zeds will hopefully take effect...

ps I can just see Gerry saying "Told you so, up far too early" !!!

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'll be down the river, probably Wednesday and either Thursday or Friday, after an early lunch Tony.............;)

PS Don't worry about the early morning jokes - the football season starts in a few weeks............:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Credit where credit is due Mick on a red letter day, even for snotties..........................:D

Ohh, that hurt..;)

neil1970

Reaction score
A quick session using sausage sizzle on a hair today resulted in 1 largish perch:)confused:), that came off almost instantly :eek: maybe it was foul hooked:confused:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
..................but have the Gunners bought anyone yet ??

I don't take the Sun or News of the World so I'm a littler lost on what's happening at the rough end of the market ...

C'mon Arsene, let's be 'avin yer!!

Sorry Simon, wrong Thread....

ps Is this Thread going to run and run Simon, a sort of everlasting 'How did you get on' or will you eventually start a new one ??

Just interested, that's all..

aebitim

Reaction score
..................but have the Gunners bought anyone yet ??

I don't take the Sun or News of the World so I'm a littler lost on what's happening at the rough end of the market ...

C'mon Arsene, let's be 'avin yer!!

ps Is this Thread going to run and run Simon, a sort of everlasting 'How did you get on' or will you eventually start a new one ??

Semms to work ok this way, as long as it stays on fishing.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

It's a shame when any thread goes off topic Tony.
It isn't difficult for any member to start a new thread if they want to talk about something else innit....:(
Even worse if it's someone who hasn't contributed 'on topic'.

jimlad

Reaction score
I went out Last week on the swale, fishing into dark. The pellet approach got plenty of chub attention but would they he'll take the bait properly. Nothing from my target species - barbus maximus.

I manage one very small chub...

IMG_0551_zpsa441f01d.jpg

A brilliant well done to my brother. Prior to Thursday his biggest chub was 1lb from the Leven, he's rarely fished over recent years. I told him he'd have a good chance of a 4 from the swale, which a good proportion of the chub seem to be. He went and match my pb with a 5lb 1oz fish!

IMG_0546_zpsf760ad2e.jpg

Also Had a nice evening session last night. This little beauty put up a right spirited fight, but was eventually landed.

IMG_0556_zps1ed44911.jpg

This was followed up with a battered and bruised chub....

IMG_0557_zpsc15ab499.jpg

Off the mark with the barbel, time to target some more!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Duly acknowledged Simon, won't happen again...well, not unless Gerry makes me cross again!!

ps Who is this 'innit' chappie ?? I think I recall this word from my schooldays as the cane came down....

barbelboi

Reaction score
COL3_zpsbe35ce71.jpg

Back on flowing water today with the intention of netting a few barbel. Up bright and early (take note Tony:)) and on the bank for 9.30am. A mixture of bright sunshine and a northerly gale wasn’t the most helpful to what proved to be a very uneventful session – kept catching these bloody things, seven of ‘em, I’m sure Flight’s put some ancient Yorkshire ‘Abramis brama’ curse’ on me. Still, out again on Friday with high hopes that this was a one off.....................;)
COL2_zps334b05a8.jpg

thecrow

Reaction score
First time out this season, the small very weedy river I fish has turned into a small unweedy river, presumably down to the winter floods, water was very clear and rain would be welcome. nothing seen nothing caught but did have one of those very rare moments of complete silence, no wind, birds, traffic noise, lovely.