How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A great day for me today, at Partridge lakes in Warrington. Banded pellet on the waggler less than 2ft from the bank got me the best fish but over the course of the day I had good Ide, Roach, Rudd, Skimmers, my biggest Bream, Gudgeon, Carp, F1 and even a chunky Goldfish! And the smallest Perch I’ve ever seen took six maggots on a size 12 and managed to gut hook itself. (6 maggots on the hook was a slightly comedic attempt to get away from minnows). Was lucky to get the hook out.

I was on an old stock pond and they react well to micro pellets so I alternated between the maggot feeder and the hybrid feeder while keeping the waggler in shallow. Truth be told, I think you’d catch on a bare hook, but less than a year into angling to walk away from a 10hr session with well over 100 fish is a hell of a feeling for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sounds a good day Tom.
If you go on Holbar, you may not catch as many but what you will catch either on the feeder or in the margins are a fair size.
Another good water off J27 off M6 is Fir Tree Fishery, go on wooky hollow pool.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
A great day for me today, at Partridge lakes in Warrington. Banded pellet on the waggler less than 2ft from the bank got me the best fish but over the course of the day I had good Ide, Roach, Rudd, Skimmers, my biggest Bream, Gudgeon, Carp, F1 and even a chunky Goldfish! And the smallest Perch I’ve ever seen took six maggots on a size 12 and managed to gut hook itself. (6 maggots on the hook was a slightly comedic attempt to get away from minnows). Was lucky to get the hook out.

I was on an old stock pond and they react well to micro pellets so I alternated between the maggot feeder and the hybrid feeder while keeping the waggler in shallow. Truth be told, I think you’d catch on a bare hook, but less than a year into angling to walk away from a 10hr session with well over 100 fish is a hell of a feeling for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cracking day mate.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I haven't fished June 16th for years and I was quite determined not to brave the anticipated hordes today either.....but my ribs had me up early so I thought what the hell I'm up now so toodled off to Marsh Farm.

I had no intention of fishing the club lake as its always mobbed out first couple of weeks so I dropped onto Harris Lake which is the harder of the 2 day ticket waters there. The BF had fished the other lake yesterday which he said was mental busy and been driven mad by bream and crayfish....so that was one to avoid.

I thought I was in for a good day having 2 decent tench and losing another in the first hour but the sun then got up and I never had another touch. Some cloud did eventually arrive along with a met office forecast of heavy rain & thunderstorms so I packed at 1pm and surprised Mrs S with an early return.

Still....I had a couple of nice tench on June 16th and it doesn't get any more traditional than that I guess. Both about 4lb and fine looking tench too.
IMG_2065.jpg

Even for June 16th it was busy. Chatting to the socially distanced bailiff he said day tickets were being sold again which probably explains it....that and all these furloughed blokes who would normally be at work but are fishing instead. Phil went to Bury Hill at first yesterday but the car park was full and he was 25 blokes back in the queue at 6-15 am ( opening time). 25 minutee later and still only half way to the ticket office he abandoned BH as he knew he'd not get a decent spot and the place is clearly getting hammered. I rather fear its going to be like this all year unless you have club waters that see very little pressure. I am struggling to think of somewhere I can go that isn't likely to be mobbed out now and for the rest of the summer at least. Not good.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
16 codgers turned up this morning at Winkwell, Bourne end for our weekly struggle. A dog walker informed us there’d been a pollution incident on the pound above the one we were fishing. A sewage farm had flushed its tanks and dumped dissolved ammonia into the canal, there were some fish and waterfowl killed unfortunately. Arriving at my peg I noticed a shoal of 18 bream sunbathing and cruising up and down, my confidence returned.
Bleak, chublets, roach, small skimmers and perch made up my net, taken on either punch, pinkie or maggot.
None over 2oz though and my 1:15:8, although paltry got me 3rd in section. Winner had a skimmer + bits for 2:11:8..
The biggest weight came from the lower pound furthest from the pollution @ 4lb for section 2 winner.
986DC5DE-412A-49B7-BBB9-918752188200.jpeg
5F7AEB5F-2BB9-43A0-A84D-248A6EACACFC.jpeg

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well first day on the river today what a start out the house just before 04:00 got to the river by 04:05 picked my first spot started setting up bang heavens opened got soaked back home change back out 2 hours later to nice weather result 2 small brownies and 1 huge tug . back home for lunch , All very civil this is you see i live within a few hundred yards of the river . lunch done back out different part of the river about a miles away this time but similar resul 2 small brownies but no big tug this time at that i decieded nuff for today packed up home so not too bad over all

PG ...

Keith M

Reaction score
I didn’t fancy going on the river today as I thought it would be packed so I had a few hours after lunch on my local estate lake after a few Carp with my son Stuart.

We both fished against one of the islands about 2 swims apart and had a nice peaceful afternoon sitting behind our alarms doing a bit of Carp fishing for a change.

The Island we both fished against

We both had a few Carp but I only took a couple of shots.

Nothing to write home about, Stuart had the biggest at 15lb 15oz (he wouldn’t round it up by just an ounce :)); but it was a very pleasant few hours.

Keith

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
After a less than great night's sleep I went out for 3 hours on the stick float in the morning on a sluggish Dorset Stour. Fairly quiet on the banks at first it was cooler than anticipated. Although I had some casters I fished tares on the hook, feeding hemp. It's too early for the roach really but I had a mix of chublets, dace and small roach, and it was good to be reminded of the pleasures of trotting a stick.

In the shallow water close in a largish perch prowled, chasing just about every fish returned including a 10oz chub. I set up a second match rod with 4lb line and a 6 hook and dropped a small dace on his nose which he took and after a brief fight, got on the bank. Despite being slim and out of condition it's just about the biggest I've had from the Stour at 2-8 and a welcome bonus.

Attachments

• DSC00146 PERCH 2-8 JUNE 16 20.JPG
    DSC00146 PERCH 2-8 JUNE 16 20.JPG
    623.5 KB · Views: 68

seth49

Reaction score
Not much to report on yesterday’s fishing, it was our first visit to a new water on our new club book, set up on a couple of pegs we liked the look off, but it was very slow, we both had a small roach which saved the blank, but it was very slow, no sign of the tench, the bream were just hanging in mid water, and some of the carp were still spawning.

It’s a nice place, and there are some quality fish in here, but in the oppressive heat before the thunderstorms they didn’t want to know, had a walk round at lunch time and most of the carp were just hanging in the water lilies, with the top of their backs out of the water.

Did see some big carp, which looked to be over twenty pounds, so will be back in a few weeks when hopefully they’ll be eating again.
8D9AE297-3165-43A9-AF94-61AA0E3941CE.jpeg

rubio

Reaction score
New site, new phone, new season. So good time for a hdygo report.
1 hour fishing, 1 bite and thankfully a positive result. Lovely conditioned chub.
Bread as usual. Slow sinking flake with a small float, as much for casting weight as indication. I fed for 30 mins and it took first cast.
No scales so took length and girth measurements to report to Chav Prof.
Now let's see if photos work.
Chub study group chart predicted 5lbs plus.
Nice but actually my smallest of this season.

Attachments

• 20200616_215850.jpg
    20200616_215850.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I knew it was going to be a poor day when the new code in my club book didn’t open the car park lock. Luckily I had last season’s book with me and that got me in, grrrr. I couldn’t get much in the way of bait in my local shop so I took, hemp, prawns, meat and bread.

The river I was fishing was the Eden in Kent. The river looked spot on but didn’t fish very well. Only one other angler on the whole stretch and even my poor result bettered his. I ended up with four chub of no great size and the biggest gudgeon I have seen in years. It took a large bit of meat on a size 10, greedy beggar. The river did look good though, it’s a stones through from Penshurst Place.
6be764f5d285beac73c2eb13864154e0.jpg

9a9e0c18ad080b49665d8132d8800218.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I made the daft mistake of going to the river yesterday, it was low and just how I like it, although my intended spots were taken as I expected. I eventually got to a decent spot on a wide part of the river. I waded out with my rod in hand and my bait pouch full of maggots round my waist. As this spot was so wide I had to wade out as far as possible and cast as far as I could from there to get my set up to the desired spot, and so I had to use a catty to get my maggots out. I filled my catty pouch with maggots and pulled it back, but as I reached the point of release the laccy snapped on one side and that piece of it shot out into the river! That wasn't good news as throwing them by hand didn't really get them where they needed to go. Anyhow, I had no other choice and I threw them that hard by hand I nearly followed em in!
First few trotts and I had some small chub of about 12 ounces and some dace of equal size, so not great but better than nothing and I was hopeful that something larger would appear shortly.
Unfortunately things didn't have time to develope in the swim and within twenty minuites of me starting fishing there was an almightly crack of thunder above me which made the ground shake and the cock pheasants in the area all sounded off in unison! That almighty crack of thunder was the start of it and Thaw must have been really upset going at it with a vengance with more huge cracks of thunder mixed with frightening bolts of lightening shooting down from the clouds and into the ground ! At the same time it began to lash it down...deff'o not condusive with a relaxing days trotting.
I didn't fancy being struck by one of those bolts of lightening so made my way back to the wheels asap, trying to keep under the cover of trees as I did so.

Today, I thought i'd have another go a little nearer to home but again the thunder, lightening and rain sent me scurrying back home, but not before I had about 20 dace, all small fish and certainly not worth risking being fried by bolts of lightening for.

This fish was a squirming thiing and didn't want it's picture taking lol...

It seems I squeezed the shyte outt'a this one lol....

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Got down to the river for a couple of hours this afternoon, sat and fed maggots for a while while the thunder was rumbling away in the distance.

IMG_20200617_140702452.jpg

First trot through produced a small Chub, then the heavens opened!

IMG_20200617_142943077.jpg

Sadly it was the first cast curse, as that was it for Chub.
When the rain finally stopped I tried another swim, but all that produced was a couple of small trout, not the Dace it usually does.

flightliner

Reaction score
I didn't fancy the Trent yesterday or the Tributary , any Rudd would have to wait as I didn't fancy the long trip so I loaded my gear and went to a local res.
I put some freebies in and almost straight away I had three Tench roll close by, it looked very promising to say the least.
That was the highlight almost save for a single bite resulting in an unusually small Tench of some 3•5 lbs max, On starting to fish I was getting the odd liner that by noon had stopped altogether , the start was cool but the sun finally broke thro the mist and it was hot, a typical Tench morning and tbh I could only put the fishes reluctance to feed in earnest was that someone had done good in the swim or maybe barometric pressure as it was belting with rain and to the west a little thunder was heard.
Frustrating for sure but I still enjoyed looking for that key to a better day, next time out maybe.

Attachments

• IMG_7170.JPG
    IMG_7170.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 80

Paste paul

Reaction score
No photos today......... feel like I’ve let you down ?
Anyway been to Hopton water Huddersfield today it was a friendly match / knock up we all put a pound in the hat !
I weighed in 7lb 8oz for third ....... I had a nice ide and a few good roach perch and some skimmers....
11 pound odd won it and similar got second....
I tried a slow sinking bomb and fired maggots at it with good effect as I got my biggest fish on this..... I caught a few on my pole too fishing shallow.....,
Funny thing happened Keith who was next to me fell in head first and went all the way in Bless him he stayed and fished so power to him.
Lovely place nice people that’s what it’s all about....
Had a bit of sun too ☺

seth49

Reaction score
On my own today, the other two didn’t fancy the weather forecast for today, it was a bit damp but it was only light rain, the first four hours were dry anyway, as I was there for 5.30 as usual, and I had the place to my self till one o clock, just one more turned up to fish then.

Just fished the float rod today, plenty of bites on mussel and worm, had carp and F1s early on, the tench didn’t turn up while ten o clock, some of the carp were still spawning in two of the corners, and there was a lot of tench with them eating the spawn

Had a good day despite the rain, finished with four carp, eight F1s, five tench, three bream and one Rudd, best carp around five pounds, and best tench about two pounds, sorry no photos today as I forgot my camera, as well as my brolly, thankfully Neil lent me one of his, as he doesn’t live far away, I didn’t want to miss a day as I’ve lost enough days fishing with lockdown, and the weather.

mikench

Reaction score
Well Gordon was keen to go fishing so we did despite the poor weather forecast which was very accurate; it poured down quite a lot. We went to the Bridgewater canal near Lymm and very pleasant it was too.

IMG_6936.JPG

Mr Metronome pictured had a great day with dozens of decent roach and pench to 8oz and a bream. I started off well but towards the end I struggled. I did catch a few good (for me) perch on worm with this being a prime example.

IMG_6938.JPG

The observant amongst you may have spotted my odd seat which did give Gordon some misgivings and worries that I had turned to the dark side but when he noticed the absence of a pole he relaxed. A very enjoyable day on the canal . Thanks Gordon for the company, the chat and the front rod rest which is now fitted. I reckon you had at least 40 fish.

nottskev

Reaction score
I noticed the classy seat! I also noticed you have your landing net the same side as your rod?