How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
It's a canal seat box made by Milo and its sturdy and holds a reasonable amount. I float fished and often have the landing net onthecsame side. I just hold the rod with my left hand. No footplate Simon just the box. It's about 20 years old but quite light. I am still experimenting with rod rest attachments and the best position for them. I used a bait waiter . This was the first time ever with a box after 4 years using a chair so some acclimatisation will be necessary. All suggestions gratefully received.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Well Gordon was keen to go fishing so we did despite the poor weather forecast which was very accurate; it poured down quite a lot. We went to the Bridgewater canal near Lymm and very pleasant it was too.

View attachment 9460

Mr Metronome pictured had a great day with dozens of decent roach and pench to 8oz and a bream. I started off well but towards the end I struggled. I did catch a few good (for me) perch on worm with this being a prime example.

View attachment 9461

The observant amongst you may have spotted my odd seat which did give Gordon some misgivings and worries that I had turned to the dark side but when he noticed the absence of a pole he relaxed. A very enjoyable day on the canal . Thanks Gordon for the company, the chat and the front rod rest which is now fitted. I reckon you had at least 40 fish.
I love your little set up/seat ?

wetthrough

Reaction score
The observant amongst you may have spotted my odd seat which did give Gordon some misgivings and worries that I had turned to the dark side but when he noticed the absence of a pole he relaxed. A very enjoyable day on the canal . Thanks Gordon for the company, the chat and the front rod rest which is now fitted. I reckon you had at least 40 fish.

Long way out Mike, 23. Another enjoyable day thanks Mike. Some nice fish coming out, at least we were catching. That scruffy geezer in your pic needs a haircut:)

BWSL_Bream_20200619_072051.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
First go on the Colne today, started on this peg...

62A5C254-3103-4183-ACE7-689BA93C7DE9.jpeg

17’ Acolyte rod and a 5BB stick float made control perfect in the good flow. All that rain has given the river a good flush through and added welcome colour. Dace, chub, roach and perch all taking single red maggot trotted through..

AF344710-E06E-4005-8209-1EE7E7583A62.jpeg

Not bad for 2 hours trotting.

Moved upstream to a slightly shallower stretch and repeated the process, mainly dace around 6 to 8inches.
42D2525E-BDCE-4B9C-95A4-B61D48B12C3D.jpeg
09E01860-B4CA-42AF-9942-FFED9E6EDF9D.jpeg

Reaction score
What a bloody day,went to a stretch of river yesterday,a 'long walk' will ring a bell to Keith,it didn't start well as I was detoured down single track road for five miles to cover a one mile stretch(a tree had come down),when I arrived at 5.20am(yes)the car park had 14 cars in it,I set off,two really awkward gate/styles dealt with,I opened the club gate to enter the riverside,only for me to find the river had flooded the bank to a foot deep(I only had walking shoes on)so I was soaked,I walked down further where the banks were higher found a swim and saw that the flops was a bit fierce for float fishing,which was the only kit I had,so i had to feeder fish(I found some in my bait bucket)on my Cadence no.3 float rod,mistake one was bait choice,more than three pints of maggot,useless as its full of little chublets,I ended up with eight grubs on a 10 hook and still got stripped every chuck,I did catch a 1-6 perch along with some chublets,then a guy gave me a lump of meat,which the chublets pecked at constantly,but eventually I had a barbel around four pounds,lost another,then trudged back,finding a dry route back,at least it was only about 3/4 of a mile walk....

flightliner

Reaction score
I took off the Trent yesterday with the intention of staying until dusk.
It's a forty minute run from my extreme edge of South Yorkshire , twenty six miles of both the A57 and a bit of the A1 , a big reason why I moved house years ago and one I've never regretted with the time saved in travel.
I was tackled up and fishing for one pm and with some 3/4 foot of water pushing thro I had little option but to fish with an extra two ounce of lead . No real problem for my old Powerloops with a 2•5 tc .
There were more anglers around than usual, mostly bivvied up for the long stay and my first choice of swim was taken by a three rod guy so I opted for another that was good at times but shaggy hence the extra lead to avoid things moving into some unseen obstruction.
I placed some freebies upstream and fished two halibut pellets but for three hours I sat there biteless so I changed over to three shrimps on the hair, an hour later I had a short six inch rap on the rod- nothing else so I put it down to a chub.
By this time the setting sun brought a lovely glow to the river and the wind had died down leaving a flat calm water surface- so nice to be an angler!
Another hour with my single rod gave nothing, no bite/raps nothing so I went over to my banker floodwater Barbel bait -- luncheon meat.
Most of my big BB have come to to the stuff over the years and I always have a tin handy.
On it went and an hour later a BB leapt clear of the water, not big but I reeled in and dropped my rig a yard above where I'd seen it , the bait couldn't have been on the riverbed a minute when the rod lurched over and I connected to a nice BB that came to my net after a good struggle.
I didn't bother to weigh it , but just took a foto of it resting in my landing net.
One more hour with nothing to show and I headed for home.

Attachments

• IMG_7194.JPG
    IMG_7194.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 82

Reaction score
You needed three rods and a bivvy Mick,similarly I needed a barbel rod and reel,now sorted for my next trip,when ever that might be...

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Alan, as far as I could see I was the only one who caught the whole time I was there. Three rods to me on any river is a little contrary to my idea of what's really needed.
I usually fish two myself but on this occasion knowing the swim was a bit of a snagpit I thought it prudent to simply use the one rod.
Must admit that when I was carp fishing seriously back in the eighties a modern day bivvy would have been sheer luxery compared to my old throwover job.
All nighters now tho appealing wouldn't go down well for several reasons.

Keith M

Reaction score
The only time I’ve ever used more than one rod on a river is when I’ve been fishing for Chub on a river where I’m not expecting too many bites, and even then I’d never fish with 3 rods; I’ve always used just one rod when I’m after barbeI; I have trouble even fishing with two rods for Chub; and as for needing a bivvie? Nah forget it, I’m not on the river to sleep or do any Carbeling. :giggle:

Keith

Last edited:

Reemul

Reaction score
Went fishing at Whitemoor lakes today from 1.30pm till 7. I had posted previously that I was worried it was getting fished too intensively. There were 5 or 6 swims available for my sons and I. Zero bites for me. Son had 2 good takes, caught a 6.5lb carp other than that nada.

Another fisherman came over, in a prime spot been there since Thursday morning fishing right through and had only had 3 fish in that time. Seemed the lake was not fishing well at all.

I had a swim with my youngest we had 2 ledger and 1 float, tried teh margins, the middle, the surface, mid and bottom as well but nothing.

Pic of the swim.

20200620_171608_resized.jpg

Reaction score
The only time I’ve ever used more than one rod on a river is when I’ve been fishing for Chub on a river where I’m not expecting too many bites, and even then I’d never fish with 3 rods; I’ve always used just one rod when I’m after barbeI; I have trouble even fishing with two rods for Chub; and as for needing a bivvie? Nah forget it, I’m not on the river to sleep or do any Carbeling. :giggle:

Keith

Couldn't agree more,I don't fish two rods,ever,in my experience I have enough trouble concentrating on one,thats why my post about Mick needing three was made,glad I don't fish there as I would be grumbling all day...

Last edited:

peytr

Reaction score
Today I went out to test a new (and top secret:cool:) paste I made last week. Wanted uncomplicated fishing on silvers and found the spot in the picture. Probably not the best but certainly pretty and very well suited for fishing with a short whip.
de Loet crop small.jpg

I tested the paste against bread punch and the paste clearly was better in two ways: more fish and... more crawfish. I thought these wouldn't take paste but the high cheese content might have to do with that. The crawfish seem to leave the bread punch alone but readily took the paste. I'm quite convinced I had a lot more crawfish bites.
deegspuit en pen crop small.jpg

The bread punch was superior in holding to the hook (a size 14 wide gape). I think the paste fished 'sharper'. As far as I know not many people fish with paste on a fine lines nowadays but it worked very well. In older literature it is often held to be one of the best baits for winter roach. I have a considerable stock in the freezer so will try more often.

flightliner

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more,I don't fish two rods,ever,in my experience I have enough trouble concentrating on one,thats why my post about Mick needing three was made,glad don't fish there as I would be grumbling all day...
Alan. I didn't say I needed three rods to fish with. That's anethema to me. It was two I prefer to use on the Trent and. If you recall. Some years ago now. After the 07 floods I posted that my preferance from then on was to float fish for them unless there were reasons such as snags or flooding that would make the float unsuitable on the day.
Yesterday was such an occasion. The place was busier than normal and the snag swim was virtually the only one left, hence the one rod.
I'm quite at ease with two on the river as its no big problem to have one close in upstream for a dropback and another downriver a little further out but three is, I think, over egging the pudding. To me the big rods and heavy lines and big leads is little more than cod fishing, (still enjoy the odd session tho)
Maybe I should have given a few further details in my post.

Reaction score
No mate,I never thought you did say you said you needed three rods,in fact my comment was meant as a joke,we all fish how we want to get our kicks from angling,my 'joke' fell flat on its face and for that I apologise....

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
After a week of disappointing weather it has been nice to get back on/in the river to wave my rod around.
Friday evening was a feeder session at the bottom of the garden, net result one bream of 4lb ish, and a happy dog keeping me company!
Yesterday evening, I was determined to get off site for some fluff chucking,went to an area about a mile or so upstream I haven’t fished before plenty of fish rising but other anglers occupying the spots, made my way back to fish just below the town weir, a brown mayfly produce some interest but no hookups and a change to a smaller brown job started producing a run of dace and chublets, best dace at round 8oz was a fantastic wiry fish, the shallow clear water giving it a really dark bronze coloration. Fishing a combination of across, up and downstream at long last I’m starting to get some acceptable presentation and interest in my flies(!)
This is Molly on being told she’s not coming fishing!
613b50f0c720aa8d47bd4aaad69f5ef9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Got up with the intention of going on a gravel pit to fish the margins to compare 3 margin poles I have ,2 short and 1 long ,and also fish the long one at around 7 metres.
Sat having breakfast watching the sun trying to break through and dry the patio out and some large trees nearby swaying in the wind, along with the ones in the garden.
At the moment I think it could be a lazy day at home unless the wind drops.
It's not sitting out in it that's the problem, it's the methods I will be using, influx of rain lowering water temp and wind keeping it lower, not ideal margin fishing on this water.

Reaction score
Do you know Mark,I talked about similar to my 81 year old mate,saying that i've realised that an evening session is too much effort when travelling from home,I just cannot be asked to get all my gear ready,load it into the car,for just three hours or so's fishing,it's all too much effort,even though its a good time to fish,I find often during the summer i've had enough after 5/6hrs,unless i'm catching very well,winter is different,the day is shorter and I find it easier to motivate myself...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I know what you mean about length of time staying fishing plus it's the loading and unloading of tackle from car, in a way it's not a problem, because I can wheel my PI space shuttle out from back of car without dismantling it, put box on it , done in few minutes, its putting holdall and other stuff I take in and out of car, Today would have just been margin poles and landing net handle strapped together,no holdall. Carryall would have been stripped of non essential items such as reels and feeder boxes and seatbox attachments.And could have I been bothered to do a 25 minute drive to try something that may not have worked due to weather, Main objective was to target big margin fish to compare elastic in poles, in one topkit on long pole I have 16/18 Drennan bungee, the other topkits in short poles have a 16 and 18 solid respectively, I think the Drennan is to powerful compared to the solids and to 17h I have in main pole. I pulled out of 3 good fish on Drennan earlier this week, hence the elastic test I was going to do today.

If I had prepared last night for today ,maybe I would have felt different. If fishing a match I get everything sorted the day or a couple of days before the match.
So later today I will prepare for tomorrow.

Last edited: