How did you get on?

Reaction score
Ffs Mark,that swimmer would be the last straw,haven't you got any 6oz breakaway leads to hang fifty pound line across the river? ;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Ffs Mark,that swimmer would be the last straw,haven't you got any 6oz breakaway leads to hang fifty pound line across the river? ;)
It was a bit, I was expecting a herd of wildebeest to come through next. Giving up on it now, cannot beat them, shame as you can see; a nice little stretch. Maybe in the winter although the make me wild swimmers might still come along. It was never like this 15-20 years ago when I used to fish it but some camping site has opened up further up and they hire the canoes etc out for £10 a go. Must have been about 40 came through in 3 hours, be double that at the weekend, must be coining it. They are not going to give that up. Realistically, what can you do, anything like you suggest is just assault. Sometimes you just have to accept things even if it's not your way.
When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills - Chinese proverb.
I cannot build walls so I will sail on somewhere else..

Last edited:

Reaction score
Bloody hell Mark,it seems angling is to be considered a pastime that doesn't compare with canoeing and swimming,far too sedentary...

Reaction score
Oh,you have Mark,just never noticed it,a very common insect,particularly on rivers...

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
It was a bit, I was expecting a herd of wildebeest to come through next. Giving up on it now, cannot beat them, shame as you can see; a nice little stretch. Maybe in the winter although the make me wild swimmers might still come along. It was never like this 15-20 years ago when I used to fish it but some camping site has opened up further up and they hire the canoes etc out for £10 a go. Must have been about 40 came through in 3 hours, be double that at the weekend, must be coining it. They are not going to give that up.

That little river looks delightful however I would question if it has navigable rights, and if not does the campsite have the right to hire canoes? It may then be a case of advising local authorities of misuse of resources.
It’s a matter local angling clubs should be taking up and they may find allies in local wildlife trusts and local RSPB groups.
If no help is found, my next line of attack would be go and hire one. Before going out ask about navigable rights, ask to see details of the companies liability insurance. If they are operating outside of the law I suspect their insurance would be invalid, and even more fool them if they are operating without insurance.
There’s a whole bucket of Pooh that could be stirred up here if anyone wanted.
As an aside, I’m not against people trying to make living nor am I anti canoe/ boats but things should be done correctly with respect to the law of the land and respect for the environment .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
20 codgers fished Tuesday, a new record turnout for my weekly match. We fished just south of Berkhamsted on the GUC.
C1E3A9C9-0183-48B1-9619-FD2A11CF695E.jpeg
C1D39E7D-429C-4814-8593-7E65C12C42CD.jpeg
96917F8B-C24A-4A54-B92E-534AEAC729F9.jpeg

I gave the hemp and tares a good go to start with on a pole rig tied to my line. One good hybrid was all that showed so I changed to a waggler with maggot. This produced some skimmers and smaller roach etc. Came nowhere with just 2:10:0.

2695893D-1427-40ED-9334-FC4723406FFA.jpeg

Winner had 10:6:0 despite an unfancied draw, with the other framers having 4lb+nets.

Thursday I had another go for the roach on the Colne in town,. Once again hemp and tares on stick float didn’t seem to work as well as last time? Changing to maggot bought some success with smaller roach, dace, chublets, skimmers and perch. At least I had plenty of bites.

325E0226-7873-42EE-84E0-F42430BF7557.jpeg
AEE91441-A6A8-4CFB-A9BA-5CA7E70942D1.jpeg

The Runner

Reaction score
Those far bank trees seem to have grown out a lot in the decade or so since I last fished around Berko...
Not sure of my memory here but is the house in the background of the first pic the one that used to be occupied by the "anti" woman who had posters about Huntington Life Sciences all over her windows ? If it is, she must have moved (or mellowed) because it used to be a bad idea to peg within a hundred yards of her....

wetthrough

Reaction score
Bit of a catchup. Fished the Dam again Tuesday with much the same result although generally smaller fish. I made the decision to fish the margin a bit further along/away where the reed bed extends a bit further out. Possibly a mistake or it could just have been one of those days. Still managed 60 although struggled to get the last one.

Friday back to the Bridgewater at Outringhton. On the bank around 5:30am, GB in, set up and fished the bottom of the near drop off. From past experience it fishes well first light and Friday was no exception. 2lb hooklength to 20s light hook. Very little wind coming from the west and not presenting any difficulty so a 4bb antenna did the trick.

First out:

BWSL_Roach_20200724_061324.jpg

Another 15 followed, all to caster. That was the biggest but the rest weren't far behind plus a couple of Perch. 8:30/9:00 and it dies. I'd been loose feeding the far shelf but nothing there either.

The boats are firing up, literally -

BWSL_Smoke_20200724_080044.jpg

I think someone needs a decoke or maybe they just like their toast well done.

Once the boat traffic starts it seems to kick off the feeding. Either that or the fish moved to where I was fishing. It fished well from then, Smaller Roach and lots of nice Perch. This was far from the biggest but the only one I took a pic of:

BWSL_Perch_20200724_080044.jpg

It died again around twelve but picked up again in around an hour.

The inevitable happened. Got stuck into something decent which slipped the hook as I was just about to bring it to the surface. Perch I think.

Finished the day at around 3:30 with 71 on the clicker. Around 40/50% Perch, the rest Roach. A long day but very satisfying.

bullet

Reaction score
Back out on the river today fishing a club stretch, the part downstream of the parking I haven't fished for a couple of seasons.
I've not been missing much, it's mainly slow and shallow now, the odd deeper spot did bring a few fish to the streamer...

IMG_20200726_120045512.jpg

The upstream section was far more interesting, and plenty of fish were on the lookout for something floating, and the deer hair sedge was tempting them nicely, including the odd better fish...

IMG_20200726_151723508.jpg

Highlight of the session was having three Otters, a mother and two youngsters, come right down past me through a riffle.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Went fly fishing for Mullet yesterday, not much to say about it really, firstly the wind was up and the river was rippled and I couldn't see them but I don't think they were there anyway or they had gone deep or moved further up or out of the river or my flies were no good or my fly fishing was not very good. There were loads of them last week and I think I would have still noticed them even with the ripples. Anyway, nice to get the fly rod out and have a go, last time it was raining but calm, sunny and windy yesterday. I will have another go soon.
The sea has changed, choppy and sandy coloured now, I have missed the last few weeks of perfect mackerel and bass sea for the sake of elusive tench, mullet and fat ladies on boards wobbling through my swim but there is August yet to come so might get a chance yet.

silvers

Reaction score
An odd weekend, had a few but felt that I really should have done better ... also first double header for a while (matches on both days)

Saturday on the Warks Avon, river still low and painfully clear ... but now with added upstream blustery wind!
The river here is real Crabtree territory, every peg is different with loads of features. I drew a peg that I have never fished before (in 30 years of fishing here) it’s not often used as It’s on an island that you have to wade to. Even with the current low levels it was over knee deep. The swim itself is a large pool, mostly 9ft deep and mostly a very slow back eddy. All the flow goes down the far bank in a series of “boils” and then dissipates before it flows out of the pool in to the next peg - an absolute flier called “Concorde” that is more like 4 foot deep. The bottom was all gravel with no significant weed until the tail of the pool. So many options ... what the heck do I do here?
i determined to fish 4 spots ....
  • feeder with pellet or meat to the tail of the pool ... I didn’t have a bite on this but didn’t really spend enough time on it. I need to get more confidence on the meat!
  • hemp at 5m to my left in the back eddy ... also unproductive bar one tiny roach.
  • chopped worm at 5m to my right. I had a handful of small perch but no more after initial burst.
  • main attack was to be hemp & caster down those far bank boils, but trying to catch dace up in the water on a 3AAA waggler as the wind made presentation so hard.
I caught a few dace in little bursts until the last hour, when the wind dropped - it started precipitating and the bites finally died. I cast a bolo rig in to the far bank swim and immediately started catching better dace .... although I missed too many bites. if I put maggot on the hook the fish were smaller and I still missed bites. I ended up 5th with 11 pounds 3 oz, but only a couple of pounds off 3rd. I didn’t feel like I’d done the peg any justice. I really should have tried the bolo earlier and also tried a tare on the hook ...

Sunday was the Great Ouse at Newport Pagnell ... the organiser put in an additional section due to demand, above a weir on a stretch that hadn’t been fished for over twenty years. That section was where I drew, i packed up after two hours and four little perch! The Ouse often gets an algal tinge in the summer and in fact usually fishes well with this, it was certainly a good colour at Newport Pagnell.
After abandoning the match I went and fished for a couple of hours further downstream at Radwell (What used to be little starey’s meadow for those who know it) Here the river was the colour of stewed tea (with milk!) which is a colour I’ve never seen it Except in flood. there were millions of bleak erupting on the feed but i evaded them quite succesfully with a fair few decent dace and 3-4 ounce roach with hemp & tares.
i did get visited by three paddle boards with 5 kids on ... first time I’ve seen them above the navigable limit ... although I suspect they came from the static caravan park just downstream opposite the hurdlefoot meadow. Didn’t really affect my fishing as I was only fishing a rod and a half out.

Reaction score
Ashley Bunnage won the match Alex,he told me on f/b,he had three skimmers and bits...Sherington wasn't it?

silvers

Reaction score
Most of the match was at Sherrington, I was above the weir in Newport!

tommos16

Reaction score
Well with all due apologies to S63, it's happened again. Two personal bests today, 5lb Barbel and 14lb carp. Both epic fights, both very welcome on the mat on what was an abysmal July day up here in the frozen North.

Both caught on Double large pieces of Luncheon meat topped with sweetcorn, with lots of added spice, soy sauce, and cheesy and garlic Groundbait as a bit of a crust.

3 more Barbel followed and Carp of 10 and 12lb also graced the net. A red letter day.

Lately it seems to be I can do no wrong and I'm sure the days will come when it doesn't happen for me, but for now I hope I can ride the wave for a little longer!
d188ea8a02ae8c87e16f7d17c17b389e.jpg
15b894c1af28e46de28d80a454793885.jpg
32debe9fd377f5532c13cd963da505f5.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk