How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I could go off your beaming smile and pb’s. ?

seriously though, well done, and don’t stop smiling!

tommos16

Reaction score
I could go off your beaming smile and pb’s.

seriously though, well done, and don’t stop smiling!
Aye I've never understood this trend of looking longingly down at the fish, almost miserable. They're the happiest moments for me, that's why I do it! So I'll keep on smiling mate, don't worry

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

tommos16

Reaction score
Well my first instinct when it as on the mat was it looked like an F1, then because of the top fin (it's fin was very like a chub, it looked like a steroid addicted chub haha) it lead me to think it was a Grass Carp. It also was a strange fight, very much more Barbel like than a standard Common

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I managed a dry'ish to start off with trotting session this avvey, unfortunately it developed into a very, very wet trotting session.
I spent most of my time having to bailiff the stretch and so my actual fishing was quite limited. I had a few decent sized chub with one clonker. I hooked two barbel, one I lost due to my line touching an obstacle, prolly a stone and cutting it off just above the hook and the other my hook pulled. The first one felt very strong, no idea how big it was as I didn't see it, and the second one felt decent but since the hook pulled I have no idea as to the size of that one either. I had numerous small chub, dace and roach and if i'd wanted to catch those smaller species I could have had a lot of 'em.
A pic of one of the decent chub...

The clonker.....

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A short two hour session on the estate this morning, a few skimmers and one beautiful golden tench. You know when you’ve hooked one, they intitially go off like a 20lb carp on steroids and within moments just give up the fight and come in easily.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Well my first instinct when it as on the mat was it looked like an F1, then because of the top fin (it's fin was very like a chub, it looked like a steroid addicted chub haha) it lead me to think it was a Grass Carp. It also was a strange fight, very much more Barbel like than a standard Common

How much is Holbar now, ?
It used to be £10 a day.

tommos16

Reaction score
Still the same mater, tenner a day. Used to be 15 if you wanted 3 rods but they've recently stopped that which is good

rich66

Reaction score
Finally a tench ! Not big but a tench. 8mm Robin Red on a hybrid feeder.
1/2 doz fish over a slow day 1 tench 2 bream 3 perch from small to slightly bigger
b29a5074c3b7222c2bf91ba52cb1d3f1.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
I was going to have another trotting session on one of the local streams but, considering I have not fished any still water this year, decided to have a session on a local farm pond only a few minutes further across the fields.

The target was to be crucians and roach. The setup was the Ultra, pin, 3lb mainline and a 2lb hook length to a size 18 baited with a small bit of 50/50 flake. The result was a steady supply of roach and a gatecrasher, not as big as the 16.10 on the same setup a couple of years ago but still gave a good account on light gear. It was a no show for the crucians who appear to prefer to feed from around 11-2 – I arrived at 2 and fished ‘til 4. I might try the woodland pond next week as there seem to be a better head of crucians in residence (if you can find ‘em).
farmpondjuly232020.JPG
farmpond.2 july232020.JPG
farmpond.3 july232020.JPG

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
BB, that pond looks custom made for tench and crucians, looks a great place!

bullet

Reaction score
Not been out on the river for a while, but I've had a couple of trips to the coast this week after Bass, there's been a heap of Brit inshore lately, and plenty of joey mackerel following it about, so I've been going armed with an aerated bucket, a rod with a few small feathers on it, and a rod with a largish sliding pike bob down to a short shank 6/0 single.
A few casts with the feathers and you've got enough joeys in the bucket and you're ready to go.
First session produced two good Bass, like peas in a pod, both around 4lb, and really chunky, no doubt full of the Maks!
Second not so good, but still a couple of smaller fish, one about a pound that still had eyes for a 6 inch Mak!
No pics of fish, I'm afraid, as the spot is on some large rocks that can and usually do swallow anything thats dropped down the cracks, and I've just got a new phone!

IMG_20200710_204831507.jpg

The Runner

Reaction score
Back to Gedintailor today for an afternoon session.
Got there about an hour and a half before low tide and fished until half flood at 7. Just about flat calm as I walked along the beach- you can never have too many pics of Beinn Tianavaig.....
Round to the end of the point , still calm as I set up but then a bit of a breeze got up to keep the midges at bay.
Went through the range of lures that I'd brought but for two and a half hours the only activity I could see was the Raasay ferry going back and forwards. Finally an hour into the flood had the first pollack and then another straight after it. Quiet again, moved along to next ledge about 30 yards away and again two in two chucks before losing a better one about 4lb which threw the hook as I got it on top, getting wet feet as the big tide rose rapidly so back to where I had had the first two. Two more, both hooked right in the edge next to the kelp before called it a day as the tide came over the ledges which would make landing any more a bit problematical.
Six decent pollack, not a bad afternoons work. All on the inevitable Roach Paddletails.
A bit of wildlife about, waders on the move with a flock of Dunlin along the beach. lots of Oystercatchers and a Whimbrel flew past close in heading South. No sign of the sea eagle today.
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

seth49

Reaction score
Back on our new club pool today, appreciate it even more now, after Tuesdays blank on a pool that we caught a lot of fish from last year, it was rubbish this time, so I arrived at six am today, still dry till ten then constant rain till five pm.

Started with my pole about six meters out, just a few roach and small perch, I’d put a few pellets in the margin, and was surprised to see the odd carp coming in on them early, so swapped over to another top kit set up for the margin, tried expander pellets, and mussels nothing, so tried a worm, had a carp right away, and then a crucian before hooking one that gave me a real runaround, a nice common of thirteen pounds and twelve ounces, a deep fish that looked well.

Neil and mick arrived later at ten as they were stopping on, I had to be home for six to help my wife with something, it was raining quite hard by now, so under the brolly to keep dry, had a couple more then it went quiet for a couple of hours as usual, about two pm they started coming in again, and I started catching some more, these fish are in excellent condition no mouth damage and in really good fettle.

It stopped raining about five pm, so I started packing up, I’d had a good day, with a chub several roach, a crucian and ten carp landed, also had a few carp come off as well, mick moved into my swim as I left, and he caught a total of nine carp.

343073A2-8B4B-43A1-9A0A-6BE1A014CBBE.jpeg
A5DA69C9-8925-4B65-A70A-3CAAB3ADDD0A.jpeg
2B042BB1-839D-4406-A1F9-A255AC6EBE18.jpeg

Reaction score
Well,ive deleted the three photos I put on because it was a pain in the neck for my technophobia,I got the photos on but it became a rolling load of attachments,just to say I caught four carp to low doubles,three crucian/brown goldfish,a colourful goldfish looking thing,and some nice roach,I was on a beautiful club lake I hadn't fished for twenty years in the middle of St.Albans,a guy turned up around midday with his son whom he was teaching to fish,he cast his son's carp rod out and one took it before he could put the rod on the buzzer,he sat down and yelped in pain,he forgot that he'd put his baiting needle(one of those horrible bloody things with a big barb and sharp point) in his shorts pocket and it had gone though the mesh pocket and into his thigh,right up to the makers name and bent,so was stuck fast,myself and two guys quickly packed his gear and carried it back to the car park,on leaving the fishery I bumped into the guy(coming back for his car,as his wife had picked them up),he had been on IV antibiotics,tetenus jab,so buy a Korda needle that isn't as sharp and hasn't got a massive barb. Back to pleasantries Alan Tyler came late afternoon,always a pleasure....

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I trip to the middle/upper river today. I will give up on this, a lot to contend with, I thought I might escape it just before the weekend but no good. I tried peas, red robins and bread on some left over hemp in a couple of swims. Only the bread worked with a few bites and one feisty little chub about a 1lb. I think the peas and the red robin have had their try out without any success so I will stick to bread, sweetcorn and casters if I can get them next time. The casters have done well more or less; a lot more than the other try out baits.
However, the plan is to go after some Thin Lipped Mullet with some flies I bought yesterday, even the tackle shop bloke said "good luck with that" when I told him my plan; still he sorted me out 3 flies that he thought looked liked what I was after. Looks like a blank day might be on the cards but, you never know and it will be exciting fish or not. Shoals of them milling around in the last place I fished; drifting some shrimp like flies to them will be better than watching what I watched today.
Not much bird life around but this picture of some sort of damsel fly about 3 inches long, I have never seen one like that so if anyone knows what it is, that would be nice.
100_0363.JPG
100_0358.JPG
100_0364.JPG
swimmer.JPG
100_0366.JPG
100_0362.JPG

Last edited: