How did you get on?

peterjg

Reaction score
I fished a new section of the K&A canal yesterday never fished there before (very long walk). Had to make a swim because it had obviously not been fished this season, used 15ft rod casting over dying back reeds. Didn't know what to expect, started with flake on a size 12. Ended up with 18 quality roach, a hybrid and lost a good sized perch at the net. Tried 3 dead maggots on the size 12 and hooked the lost perch. Also tried robin red pellets but no bites. No blasted crayfish! I will definitely be returning.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Another fine and dry day today so I just had to get out. Went up to Boxmoor, Hemel, and the wind was quite strong broadside, not good for waggler across... Went down below the lock and it was a different world, no wind at all..

D41CF24F-7CFF-4F06-B2E5-43959FA444C4.jpeg
046C408A-8D2C-4663-8171-6E600A8FB405.jpeg

3 friends braved the windy section and one came down with me. The gravel bottom with barely any silt made the water very clear, so 22 hook and single maggot was my choice ...It turned out to be one of those difficult days with the bright sun and bites were at a premium.

5EC7E7FC-EFF5-4D1B-A555-9317193519C1.jpeg

The three above the lock had a good day with a 3lb perch and chub to 5lb, Hmmmm...

seth49

Reaction score
Different pond today, on our new fishery, arrived at 9.15 am to find Mick was in my favourite peg so I fished another that was sheltered from the wind, not for long though after a couple of hours it was blowing right at the back of my neck, for a southerly it was cold as well, in fact it felt cold all day, fishing was very slow as well, tried feeder first but not a touch, so fed a few micro pellets in the margin, tried soft pellets, mussels, and prawn, nothing for a long while same for Neil and Mick nothing doing at all.

By three pm it was getting even colder, so I thought I’ll be glad when I’ve had enough of this, I’m packing up at 3.30, at ten past I finally got a bite on mussel, a nice common of about nine pounds, which saved the blank,it fought very sluggish due to the cold water probably, still another carp taking me up to ninety eight this year, just two more fore a hundred caught this year, hope it’s warmer next week, not pleasant today.
FB85AB21-76D0-42EF-A1BA-D0EC95E86AF5.jpeg
5EFCC131-D1D4-4405-84B6-FAC0F507038D.jpeg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The BF bullied me into another go at the club runs water today. I didn't really fancy it as it was rock hard last time and very,very busy. Today it was even busier and even harder. One bloke had a couple of fish heaving a bait a mile out which neither of us are interested in doing. We stuck to our usual tactics and neither of us had a touch. There are so many anglers and so many walkers,runners and just random people walking round the lake I think its pushed the fish right out and they are doing most of their feeding early and late. Whatever.....that's one fish in 3 trips and I've just about had it with the place for a bit,certainly until lockdown is over and it quietens down.....by which time I hope to have found something else to target.

I've pretty well written this season off....everywhere I've been this year has been absolutely mobbed out and I hate crowds when I'm fishing. I want a bit of space and a bit of quiet.

Reaction score
Now I cannot match your catch Ian,overnight cold,heavy rain brought the river up by around four inches,bringing with it masses of leaves,I fished the swim above my last venture where the guy fed casters Tuesday,I never saw one barbel,very,very unusual,but had 27 roach from 4-10ozs,10 small chub from 4ozs-1lb,four perch to 8ozs and a dace around 4ozs,lost a small tench which came off,along with that the fishery was very busy,with 15 cars turning up for the 6am start,so the draw bag came out,I think I will give the river a break for a few sessions,the club allowed winter club tickets to be sold when there had been a big increase in membership at the start,so newbies are flooding the venues....

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
Good Morning Whitty I think I was at the same venue as you yesterday. I have not seen so many cars in the car park not even at the end of the season. The river was surprisingly high 1and have to admit that dispite being in a reasonable swim I blanked I will certainly leave the place alone until the lockdown ends

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised by the comments about places being stupidly busy. I'm positively shocked when I see another angler. I know that I could go to certain venues and meet other anglers, but I don't visit them at the best of times, let alone during a pandemic. Do all of you just fish waters that are always fairly busy? Are there no venues, even if they aren't the very best, that few bother with?

rayner

Reaction score
There are some fisheries close to my home, those within a few miles are rammed.
I get a strong idea all anglers in South Yorkshire are on furlough.
I only fish mid-week for more peace than anything, to go now most fisheries that I can actually get to pegs are swamped with anglers leaving a few if any pegs I can negotiate, its rare pegs that I can use are free. I could go earlier but with the amount of anglers fish eat later after anglers go home.
I agree with S Kippy, I'll have a self-enforced lay off until the hoards of anglers to get back to work. If there are any still in employment.

mikench

Reaction score
Another day and another venue but one Gordon and I are familiar with. It was wet and windy on the way to the water but dry on arrival. Thankfully we were alone and only had one other angler all day.

IMG_8234.JPG
IMG_8235.JPG

Gordon can just be seen. We both fished on the float for an enjoyable day in cold conditions with a lukewarm sun for a n hour or so. We both caught consistently but all small roach save for a few and a mirror caught by Gordon which justified a net. It was good to be out despite the chill. No large fish and little variety but that's fishing. We didn't have to put up with other anglers, walkers, cyclists etc and that is something to be thankful for. Cheers Gordon.

Reaction score
They still love bread,conditions turned them off,it happens....

bracket

Reaction score
I managed two visits to the Frome this week. The first was on Monday and as the river has not produced much for me these last two years I went with the pragmatic view that, at least it better than not going. Decided to fish a peg I blanked on first visit last year. Ever the optimist, or should that read idiot. The peg is seven foot deep and the river looked sock on:
DSC_0200.JPG

I was well wrapped up against the elements, but was down to my Tee shirt after ten minutes in the brilliant sunshine. On went a 7 No 4 stick, a 20 hook and red maggot and off we go, just glad to be back on the bank. Second run down produced this:
DSC_0203.JPG

Not the biggest grayling, but nice to catch and a vast improvement on last year. At this point my phone died so no more photos, sadly. I recently managed to pull a muscle in my shoulder. Don't know how I managed that as I tend to avoid hard graft when ever possible. Upshot being I currently can only manage about three hours, stood up float fishing. I finished my short session with 13 grayling, best going a pound and a half, plus two game fish. So after a modest start, with fifteen fish in the bag plus a warm inner glow, I skipped back to the car and away home for some lunch, which ironically, was homemade fish pie left over from the previous day.

On Friday I had a go further upstream on this peg:
DSC_0210.JPG

I began with the previous stick rig and first trot took this:
DSC_0206.JPG

a not bad graying, despite the flash being on. I caught intermittently for the next hour and a half, fish of this stamp:
DSC_0204.JPG

Reluctantly I had to put the float rod down to give my shoulder a rest, so I rigged up a feeder rod and got snuggled down on my old Shaky Blue Box, bit old hat now, but I would not swap it. We've done many a mile, hour and fish on the Rivers of England over countless years. I missed a big rap first put in and then took two good grayling on successive casts, followed by nothing for the next 30 minutes, weird. I switched back to the stick for the last half hour and had one more grayling plus a spotty. Finished, up again, with thirteen grayling plus a trout so called it a day. Pete.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I managed two visits to the Frome this week. The first was on Monday and as the river has not produced much for me these last two years I went with the pragmatic view that, at least it better than not going. Decided to fish a peg I blanked on first visit last year. Ever the optimist, or should that read idiot. The peg is seven foot deep and the river looked sock on:
View attachment 11582

I was well wrapped up against the elements, but was down to my Tee shirt after ten minutes in the brilliant sunshine. On went a 7 No 4 stick, a 20 hook and red maggot and off we go, just glad to be back on the bank. Second run down produced this:
View attachment 11583

Not the biggest grayling, but nice to catch and a vast improvement on last year. At this point my phone died so no more photos, sadly. I recently managed to pull a muscle in my shoulder. Don't know how I managed that as I tend to avoid hard graft when ever possible. Upshot being I currently can only manage about three hours, stood up float fishing. I finished my short session with 13 grayling, best going a pound and a half, plus two game fish. So after a modest start, with fifteen fish in the bag plus a warm inner glow, I skipped back to the car and away home for some lunch, which ironically, was homemade fish pie left over from the previous day.

On Friday I had a go further upstream on this peg:
View attachment 11584

I began with the previous stick rig and first trot took this:
View attachment 11585

a not bad graying, despite the flash being on. I caught intermittently for the next hour and a half, fish of this stamp:
View attachment 11586

Reluctantly I had to put the float rod down to give my shoulder a rest, so I rigged up a feeder rod and got snuggled down on my old Shaky Blue Box, bit old hat now, but I would not swap it. We've done many a mile, hour and fish on the Rivers of England over countless years. I missed a big rap first put in and then took two good grayling on successive casts, followed by nothing for the next 30 minutes, weird. I switched back to the stick for the last half hour and had one more grayling plus a spotty. Finished, up again, with thirteen grayling plus a trout so called it a day. Pete.
Lovely Pete, my first introduction to you sometime ago somewhere was you catching these lovely fish on the Frome, and I am never envious of anyone but I was a tad envious of you. I cant think of anything better than trotting on that kind of river catching Grayling.