How did you get on?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Have a word with Bob (Pikerwoods) he fished there loads of times Lloyds I mean
Bob was a Lymm member the same as I was and also Ian.
If you want pike fishing you will be disappointed, the nearest water to warrington is the Bridgewater canal at Runcorn.
The majority of club waters have catfish and carp in them.
The Belmont complex has 2 carp pools that are going to be fished on a booking system.
There are 4 other waters on there that are supposedly going to be for pleasure fishing/match style fishing. Non of them will hold more than 6 or 7 anglers comfortably.
A club water that has carp to top 20's in it and cats to mid 40' is to small in my opinion.
You can cast a decent feeder lengthways and a waggler widthways.
The good thing about Lymm card in a way is that you can take wife/partner and 2 kids upto aged 16 on it plus it's a night card.
For me I would look at joining Bay Malton, @mikench and @Wethrough will be able to tell you more on that

mikench

Reaction score
Bay Malton, possibly for the first time have closed their book for 2020. It could well be worthwhile applying for next year as some will not renew and there will be natural wastage.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
E0B259D6-8982-4906-840E-2581C7F5108A.jpeg

Reaction score
Been today on the small river,sat in one swim for most of the day and never had a bite,the guys in the flyers,one blanked,the other had four,he called me when he left,I had three barbel to six and a half pounds,the cold night,plus very cold rain killed it....

john step

Reaction score
The WRONG weather forecast caused me to forsake a trip to the canal for roach and instead go back to a small lake to fish near the car tucked under the brolly.
The wind and rain were nothing like forecast.
Anyway 4 carp on cage feeder and worm and maggot.
Small lake to myself .

Kevlar78

Reaction score
Fished a narrow section of the Avon at Swineford a couple of weeks back (forgot about HDYGO) - first time fishing with my son. Not a single bite. Fished waggler with maggot and some sweetcorn. Was unsure about what depth to fish, but he learned all about the physical mechanics of rod and reel, casting, etc. Tried to fish close in as float was screaming down the centre in the fast flow, to the point of ridiculous, but nothing happened. Sonny loved it though and cannot wait to go again (I think a stillwater next time)

flightliner

Reaction score
I gained membership of a nearby club who have a small stretch of the non tidal Trent.
I went last tuesday but with it being hi and rubbish on my line I feared a blank and so it it proved, the Chub would have to wait till my next visit which, as it happened was yesterday.
I tried a cut bank swim hoping that the crease would minimise any line fouling as the river still had extra water pushing thro, the drawback tho was that on arrival there were 5 comorants feeding with abandon in it.
Well, if there feeding they obviously have fish to eat so I went for it but did have some foreboding about my decision.
Steak, mince and a feeder approach was my choice but by three pm I was beginning to think they, and the comorants were perhaps not the best of decisions.
Ten minutes later the rod tip went over and after a good struggle I was able to slip the net under a superb looking chub.
Having had three trips prior to yesterday with nothing to show for the effort I was more than pleased to see a decant fish on the bank.

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_151222.jpg
    IMG_20201120_151222.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another trip to the local canal feeder reservoir this morning hoping for pike using deadbaits. Arrived in the dark, find the headtorch,batteries dead,find new batteries,terminals loose,fix that and time now to stagger up the muddy path with all the gear. Turned out warmer than at midday yesterday. Three deadbait rods organised, watching a buzzard ,sipping coffee. Seems like quite a few other members were taking advantage of the mild weather too. A pike of 6lb 9oz fell for a sardine head, a while later one picked up the tail end of a large sardine then let go, somehow a large swan mussel completely enveloped the leger weight. Early afternoon something pinched the sprat on the right hand rod, changing swims brought no further action so home to watch England v Ireland on Ch4.

flightliner

Reaction score
Beautiful chub Mick. Who took the pic?
Mike. A guy out walking with his wife took the pik.
I feared it would have to be one of it laying on my unhooking mat but they came past just in time.
They both lived local and the lady was amazed to see the fish saying how impressed she was of it.
Then she asked what bait I had used suggesting it was maggots.
Telling her it was steak with a few freebies of mince she started laughing thinking I was pulling her leg?.

Reaction score
Nice looking chub Mick.

After waking twenty minutes later than intended,don't use an alarm clock anymore i'm retired,I decided to drive north of Bedford to try a stretch of the Ouse I haven't fished for twenty yeas or more,on arrival the river was still too high and pushing,plus a blustery downstreamer put paid to my wanting to float fish for roach and possible specimen perch,so a disgruntled Alan got back in the car and drove forty miles back to the small river,car park wasn't mullered,so loaded up the barrow and set off,through the two small gates I had a surprise,the bailiff had wd40'd the padlocks and I stunk of the stuff and was covered in it,strolled up,past the flyers hoping for a peg at the top end,as I went through the gate said bailiff was chatting to a guy in my hoped for swim,couldn't believe it because this fella is a friend of forty five years standing who I didnt know was a member???,anyway afterba long chatand the morning drifting away I set up in the swim above him,a favourite of Rob's,fished the stick all afternoon and had several nice roach to 10ozs,four barbel to around 6lb 8ozs and a chub around 4lbs,spent the day watching 'Eric' the big roach(not the one with the scale damage Rob),a pleasant day with good company,my mate caned the chub too,happy days....

Last edited:

Reaction score
It's known to attract predators when sprayed on lures,don't think I will be spraying it into my cheesepaste though...

Reaction score
Blimey,can be like that at this time of year though can't it Simon...