How did you get on?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ray does that model have the latest braking systems and are they almost foolproof from a birds nest point of view?

It has a magnetic braking system that goes from 0 - 20 in increments of 1. It’s not impossible to overrun it, but you have to put some effort in. I set it initially to 20 and backed it off until it started to backlash a little and then turned it up slightly so it wouldn’t backlash at all. After that initial setting I had no problems with it at all.

I was surprised how well it cast a lightish spinnerbait. The reel has something they call the; ”T-wing system”, which comes into play when you depress the thumb bar. The level wind tips up and instead of the line exiting through a hole it makes a slot shape so as not to impede the flow of the line off of the spool. This seems to work as it cast further and with less effort than I expected. It looks a well made piece of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Didn't really know which thread to put this on as it fits 'Blank' as well - yet another after pike at the local canal feeder reservoir. With the water taking on a muddy colour it always has made it very hard going but they gotta feed sometime - I bet it's when I am river or canal fishing to get a bite before I forget what one is. Still huge flocks of redwing/fieldfares,rooks and starlings and two great white egrets, a kestrel to watch as it rained all morning, the forecast was for about one hour of rain around 8am - didn't mention which year though.

mikench

Reaction score
The Blank thread was and is for a wistful contemplation of not catching a thing and the phenomenon of blanking. It is not a rival to the HDYGO thread and was never meant to be. I think that's obvious as who wants to hear about a blank. I wonder how PC got on and which thread he will post on. :rolleyes: ;):cool::devilish:

tommos16

Reaction score
A long and coldish one today, on a local lake that does well on winter bites for carp.

The carp didn't read the script for me (the guy next swim down managed three good Carp), but I managed to land a personal best Chub (4lb and some oz) early on on a maggot feeder.

Had a weird run on a maggot topped pop up that I guess was a small fish taking the maggots and not the boilie, and also contrived to fall over and miss a bite when I had worm sectuons on the maggot feeder but if I'm honest, I'm very glad for the one bite just to see that Bobbin shoot up and have a fish pull back. I've missed that feeling!

I think 9 degrees is about the limit temperature wise that I can cope with, as long as it doesn't rain. I can just about wrap up against that, so that'll be my standard for getting out on the lake I reckon, otherwise I'll stick to short Pike or River sessions.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
12 codgers fished today on the GUC Aylesbury arm near Tring. A tinge of colour in the water, mild, still and dry conditions made for a pleasant 5hours. Small roach and Rudd made up most nets along with the occasional net roach.

0CA833AF-ABA1-4B43-9CC0-5C2E4E6B9FC4.jpeg
B65619D4-5AB1-4744-A39D-EF290426E2F6.jpeg

I fished 12’ rod with a small crystal waggler tight to the moored boat opposite with pinkie and the small roach were there immediately.
Plenty of bites for the first hour before the bites diminished. Small worm section tipped with a squat found a few better sized roach but I had to wait longer for a bite.
Came joint 4th with 2:15:8

910C0561-068E-402E-8413-699FC7880FBF.jpeg

Winner had 197 fish for 9:15:0....

mikench

Reaction score
I thought I would redeem my last effort and I arrived to a lovely dawn.

IMG_8488.JPG

It wasn't too cold and I decided to fish on the bottom with a feeder rod, small hybrid feeder and corn on the hair. I tried meat, expander pellet, bread, pellet, maggot and caster but to no avail.

IMG_8489.JPG

I was very hopeful but the day was saved not by a catch but by a negative Covid test so all is on for the trip to Dubai. A second blank. Gordon fished on the float and caught 2 carp and lost a third which he thought was foul hooked. It was an enjoyable if frustrating day and no Christmas fish for me. Thanks Gordon and merry Christmas.

Reaction score
Got to the small river well after draw time,two cars,so I fished a peg I haven't fished for ages,it was carrying a few inches so put a feeder down the nearside with four reds on a 16,taps and knocks but no cigar,at midday I noticed the river had dropped about three inches,so out with the stick float,a nice roach first chuck,ended up with 22 roach to 12ozs,a dace,many chublets,three gudgeon,two barbel one three and a bit,the other over four pounds,last fish was a lovely chub around four and a half pounds,a nice day in a swim that had different flows to contend with,happy days....

rich66

Reaction score
Tuesday morning found me back at Frisby on the Wreake my normal haunt. Met my eldest Brother and as we couldn’t be bothered to walk to far sat in the sunshine on the match lake.
00493fd5fdc871e64af32bec44d6a170.jpg

Very slow day with just 5 for me, and a big fat nothing for Rob. Talking to the other anglers I think I had about the best of it across all of the lakes, most reported blanks while I was there.

Best of the day was a chubby little perch
55b695456265b06e27a34a9abe3f5dcc.jpg

2303f612132175f11c6d3c1ea55411d6.jpg

tommos16

Reaction score
An inpromtu twenty minute "session" for me today when driving home from doing a few chores and spotting a road bridge over a canal that looked spot on underneath.

4 Perch of a similar stamp to the photo and about ten Ruffe before the cold got the better of me and I continued on home.

Keeping a float rod rigged up and ready to roll, along with some worms, in the car pays off once again (which helps, because my better half gives me no end of grief for it)
6a489762fbd24199ac492dad09fbaa66.jpg
733c1346344cdea8092332db13eab886.jpg

tommos16

Reaction score
Any day now Mike, the call will come and I'll dispatched off to some shipyard the arse end of beyond to manage 50 or 60 welders and I'll spend 3 or 4 months wishing I was cold by that canal, so I've learnt to try and take my chances when I get them haha

john step

Reaction score
The first day in 2020 after nearly 100 days fishing I just didnt enjoy it. I wanted to try the deep res for a few bites. The wind chill factor was bad and it rained. I got "core" cold and blanked.
I packed up early for a hot bath and the resolution to fish when the forecast is better .

John Aston

Reaction score
Well, the river has been out of sorts for weeks, so no chub or grayling for me. Two trips to a local lake for ide, a relatively new species for me. The lake , like so many now, has a head of carp , but under the radar of most anglers are good chub , roach and the aforesaid ide. I've caught some big ones there - to 4lb plus - before , on wag and mag , but after being run ragged by carp to 14lb (on a size 18 ) on a previous trip , I have started using an Avon rod and 5 lb line to deal with the ...err... c word.

Trip one produced a single fish and one missed bite , both on lobworm . An equal pb Ide of 4-2 - result . Yesterday , conditions seemed favourable , although the wind felt much colder than expected for a southerly . One bite and not the hoped for 5 pound ide but - you guessed - a bloody carp, a common of about 7lbs.

It's odd how blase even old gits like me have become about carp . I didn't even see one until I was 23 , in (yikes ) 1975 , and I was shaking to have caught a 4 pound common from a the notorious Lakeside Lido in East Lincolnshire - where a starry eyed me occasionally could say hello to Rod Hutchinson . But now ? I can't escape the bloody things - I've caught them lure fishing , roach , perch and tench fishing - is there no escape ?

bracket

Reaction score
With the vile weather and the river wild, I have not been out so far this week. I have had a result though. Recently I posted here on a visit to the Frome, during which my 40 year old Daiwa 125m gave up the ghost. I received many offers of advice and assistance from your good selves, which was much appreciated. I acquired another 125m, courtesy of my son in law and a new ABU 506 from my Lady. So being sorted, and with nothing to lose, I sent my old 125m to Daiwa to see if they could do anything with it. Got it back today and it is like new. They have replaced all the gearing, bearings and click pin mechanism, plus a service. The total price of £32.94, which included a freight charge of £5.83, was a very pleasant surprise, for what is virtually a new reel and good for another 40 years. Pity I can't get the same treatment. Pete.

steve2

Reaction score
Well, the river has been out of sorts for weeks, so no chub or grayling for me. Two trips to a local lake for ide, a relatively new species for me. The lake , like so many now, has a head of carp , but under the radar of most anglers are good chub , roach and the aforesaid ide. I've caught some big ones there - to 4lb plus - before , on wag and mag , but after being run ragged by carp to 14lb (on a size 18 ) on a previous trip , I have started using an Avon rod and 5 lb line to deal with the ...err... c word.

Trip one produced a single fish and one missed bite , both on lobworm . An equal pb Ide of 4-2 - result . Yesterday , conditions seemed favourable , although the wind felt much colder than expected for a southerly . One bite and not the hoped for 5 pound ide but - you guessed - a bloody carp, a common of about 7lbs.

It's odd how blase even old gits like me have become about carp . I didn't even see one until I was 23 , in (yikes ) 1975 , and I was shaking to have caught a 4 pound common from a the notorious Lakeside Lido in East Lincolnshire - where a starry eyed me occasionally could say hello to Rod Hutchinson . But now ? I can't escape the bloody things - I've caught them lure fishing , roach , perch and tench fishing - is there no escape ?
I remember when carp were considered uncatchable in summer and winter fishing for carp was not done. How times have changed.