How do we deal will the itinerate traveller issues on our fisheries???

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I've been fishing all day from 5am so it's likely I will be snoring soon.....

Aknib

Reaction score
My late Father ran a slaughterhouse for most of his life, It sat beside two gypsy camps.

One was a bona fide and well kept Romanie site with people who respected others and looked after their plots, the other was a scumbag retreat where the Police feared to tread.

So my opinion on 'travellers' is that, like society in general, there are different types but, bye and large, the bad outnumber the good.

I don't think it's always been that way but maybe they are just mirroring the decline in society in general?

Either way I won't excuse, apologise for or attempt to justify the actions of those who refuse to contribute to society and pay their way, willingly defraud a system which we all pay into despite our own hardships when at the same time we're being turned away from the same system during our hour of need (i've been there!) along with causing suffering to those who do pay their way.

I've had run ins with them from when I was in my teens and occasionally encounter them still... And they really don't give a flying fffffk!... about anyone else.

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I would be more interested in why they did that, its not normal behavior even from these people, I have never seen or heard of it until this site/thread; what happened when they rocked up, did your boss try to make the best of a bad situ, offer them a cup of tea, some work in exchange for some use of facilities for a couple of weeks, maybe a bit of paid work, fence shed painting or yard clearing, I think I would have done after a bit of careful thought, would have avoided all this unpleasantness probably. Maybe even turn it into an annual event quid pro quo. Or was it something else entirely!!? I am only guessing but what was it?
Is this the question???
I have no idea what the bosses reaction was to the travellers presence,but that wasn't known until the morning,which is when the first piles of poop were found,offering casual work or a cup of tea,no,I doubt that,but the vast majority of people wouldn't have the trust to offer that,as far as I'm aware no cross words were exchanged,a request was made not to crap in the doorway,but that was their toilet of choice,to allow them into a sheet metalwork company would have been foolhardy at best...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Is this the question???
I have no idea what the bosses reaction was to the travellers presence,but that wasn't known until the morning,which is when the first piles of poop were found,offering casual work or a cup of tea,no,I doubt that,but the vast majority of people wouldn't have the trust to offer that,as far as I'm aware no cross words were exchanged,a request was made not to crap in the doorway,but that was their toilet of choice,to allow them into a sheet metalwork company would have been foolhardy at best...
Fair enough then and thanks, but I have seen two sides to these people, I have calculated that I would have had a 20-25% chance of a successful outcome so I would have gone for it, with nothing else to lose. The other 75-80% would have to be dealt with differently, police, clear up etc. but it is hardly what I would call successful given what it would have cost me and the ensuing aggravation. This lot you have described I would have put in my first 10% bracket, no chance at all. But each situation would be completely different and would need assessing differently. I wouldn't pre judge it or the people straight away and only consider one option is all I have.
It happens my brother came down on Friday, he comes and buys me a meal about once a month, he was a very successful businessman, no GCE or university, left school, borrowed a thousand quid and ended up with the 6th largest tyre fitting distribution business in the country, he had big contracts with British Airways, Tate and Lyle etc., dealt with China, Poland the USA who he imported from; retired, sold it made a packet a few years ago. I always asked him what made him successful, he always said by grabbing every opportunity that came his way, improvising, making the right decisions etc., My point is - he has had a lot experience in business and much more and he has always been my guru on anything business wise. He had big depots across the country and I didn't think to ask him if he ever had a problem like this, he may have had or if not just how he would have dealt with it but I will ask him next time I see him; be interesting to see what he says,

Last edited:

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I always asked him what made him successful, he always said by grabbing every opportunity that came his way, improvising, making the right decisions etc., My point is - he has had a lot experience in business and much more and he has always been my guru on anything business wise.

I always considered surrounding yourself with good people to be the most important factor in success - both in business and life in general. I was advised at an early age that every business is a 'people-business' and so I've always credited other people (not least my wife) for what success I might have had. My own abilities are for others to judge. Sorry to go off at a tangent, but the remark piqued my interest.

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
To add to the previous post,I and I suppose the vast majority of people learn quite quickly who to trust and who not to,it has led to the life I've had and that I have left,I spot very quickly people that have that little something I don't like,it's not readable over the Internet,but face to face I'm rarely found to be incorrect,luckily....

henrysnatch

Reaction score
Dealing with those wandering travelers can be a bit of a challenge, but we got this! Let's brainstorm some wicked ideas, like setting up some gnarly signs or even organizing rad events to keep 'em entertained. We've totally got the skills to handle this and make our fisheries shine!