How do we deal will the itinerate traveller issues on our fisheries???

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Is it any surprise that they are reviled all over the world.
I don't revile them, just accept they are what they are and leave well alone. They are different to me and the culture does not mix, even though I am remotely related by marriage. They are reviled and they revile back, no surprise there; never going to change as far as I can see. I cannot judge the world on myself or try to make the world the same as myself, and I have no desire to try. i have greater ambitions like a 2lb roach:)

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
How can you not dislike someone who lives unacceptably,and being a thief,conman,littering is unacceptable,whether they think it is or not,scum is scum,however many times you wipe it off....

John Aston

Reaction score
God only knows we have had more than enough examples of members of particular groups being reviled (and far worse) merely for belonging to that social or ethnic group . I'm embarrassed to read some of the rabble rousing nonsense on this thread -what next , pointy hats and burning crosses ?

Some gypsies behave appallingly, and they should live with the consequences of doing so. But not all of them do - but some apparently feel it's just fine to term a whole group scum . For that reason , I'm giving very serious thought as to whether I want belong to any web forum which tolerates this sort of behaviour . As I have said before, I have no time for lynch mobs - and this thread is veering very closely to becoming one.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
So,if these people moved near to you,would you feel secure,safe,nay happy,sadly they don't come with a label saying I'm a good person just like non-travellers,the amount of problems that happen on the water in question through travellers is scandalous,the club have to put a zig-zag of chains across the river(in the closed season) along the length which the travellers cut...
And no,this thread doesn't read as a lynch mob to me,however,the legal system panders to their law breaking,they wouldn't be so lenient to me...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
How can you not dislike someone who lives unacceptably,and being a thief,conman,littering is unacceptable,whether they think it is or not,scum is scum,however many times you wipe it off....
If that's for me I don't think I can answer, I neither like or dislike. Its not really an issue for me. I have met some who were polite and charming and I know some are not, quite the opposite but , it would always be a case by case thing with me.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Some gypsies behave appallingly, and they should live with the consequences of doing so.

But the thread is about the waterside activities of so-called travellers. To wit, I think it's fair to say that, on the whole, they don't suffer the consequences of their behaviour. That's what annoys people.

For that reason , I'm giving very serious thought as to whether I want belong to any web forum which tolerates this sort of behaviour .

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe look beyond the behaviour of those we disagree with, in the same way that we're obliged to tolerate those who flout the law and thumb their noses at the rest of us.

mikench

Reaction score
Voicing an opinion, and a legitimate one, about specifically gypsies and one’s experience of them is a million miles from being a lynch mob. Your intolerance of the views of the majority is down to you . I have said that travellers ie gypsies, romanies and tinkers are reviled worldwide. The Roma originally came from India. Their reputation precedes them and the experiences of many , me included, is very poor and almost universal. The pleasant family man with delightful children depicted in All creatures great and small is sadly far from the norm and unheard of today. Apologists for criminal , antisocial and disgusting behaviour are anathema to me.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
So,if these people moved near to you,would you feel secure,safe,nay happy,sadly they don't come with a label saying I'm a good person just like non-travellers,the amount of problems that happen on the water in question through travellers is scandalous,the club have to put a zig-zag of chains across the river(in the closed season) along the length which the travellers cut...
And no,this thread doesn't read as a lynch mob to me,however,the legal system panders to their law breaking,they wouldn't be so lenient to me...
Is this really what this is all about, some have moved in near you and you have have alienated fallen out with them, not really surprising the amount of times you think of people as scum, I see you have fallen out with a neibour for banging up a plastic windmill now. On your fence, the nerve of it. You should chill out a little, accept the world is not perfect, people aren't and neither are you and neither am I. Its just a big mix and we are all struggling to make a life, Ok some are not so good at it and can't, don't know how or choose not to follow all the rules but that's just the way it is bro, chill out a little. all the world is a jungle of some sort, maybe different rules and lines in some but still a jungle, learn to live in your particular jungle, I have had to do that several times, the basics are not ever that different.
I have never had so much aggro as you seem to get, its attitude that is part of the reason for that I am sure

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Voicing an opinion, and a legitimate one, about specifically gypsies and one’s experience of them is a million miles from being a lynch mob. Your intolerance of the views of the majority is down to you . I have said that travellers ie gypsies, romanies and tinkers are reviled worldwide. The Roma originally came from India. Their reputation precedes them and the experiences of many , me included, is very poor and almost universal. The pleasant family man with delightful children depicted in All creatures great and small is sadly far from the norm and unheard of today. Apologists for criminal , antisocial and disgusting behaviour are anathema to me.
I think it is the word scum that aggravates. Not the basic premise of what has been said just that. it could be be calling them vermin next, why not it is not far off scum and can you see the comparisons. and why it would aggravate? What do you do with scum, flush it down the drain, exterminate it like you would with vermin; I always feel a certain amount of unease about that word, not an opinion about gypsies or travelers, even if I don't share them but whenever the scum word is used. just goes beyond some sort of I don't know what but beyond it, do you see that?

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Is this really what this is all about, some have moved in near you and you have have alienated fallen out with them, not really surprising the amount of times you think of people as scum, I see you have fallen out with a neibour for banging up a plastic windmill now. On your fence, the nerve of it. You should chill out a little, accept the world is not perfect, people aren't and neither are you and neither am I. Its just a big mix and we are all struggling to make a life, Ok some are not so good at it and can't, don't know how or choose not to follow all the rules but that's just the way it is bro, chill out a little. all the world is a jungle of some sort, maybe different rules and lines in some but still a jungle, learn to live in your particular jungle, I have had to do that several times, the basics are not ever that different.
I have never had so much aggro as you seem to get, its attitude that is part of the reason for that I am sure
None have moved near me,I asked the question of John,the fishery in question is under constant threat in one way or another,mainly by travellers),no matter what is thrown at them,if it was you poaching,taking fish,trapping birds you would be prosecuted,unless you are a traveller,but they abound in countless offences against anyone or anything,if we allow individual parts of the population of our country to live outside of the law we live in total anarchy,a terrible thought...but these things I talk of are just a small part of their lawlessness. Also from my quote about scum,I meant the substance scum(that floats on the surface),but read it how you will...

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
None have moved near me,I asked the question of John,the fishery in question is under constant threat in one way or another,no matter what is thrown at them,if it was you poaching,taking fish,trapping birds you would be prosecuted,unless you are a traveller,if we allow individual parts of the population of our country to live outside of the law we live in total anarchy,a terrible thought...but these things I talk of are just a small part of their lawlessness. Also from my quote about scum,I meant the substance scum,but read it how you will...
I don't entirely disagree with you, I can understand the problem I would just handle it, deal with it; speak about it differently, that is all. I will leave it at that.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I would love to know how you would deal with it,pushing your head in the sand isn't really an option surely? Please excuse my questioning,I'm not being cantankerous,more curious.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I would love to know how you would deal with it,pushing your head in the sand isn't really an option surely? Please excuse my questioning,I'm not being cantankerous,more curious.
The answer really lays with your club, I have already said that. I don't know the circumstances of the water or your club, how important the water is to it or its members. whether they rent it own it or what. But I would seriously question the value of it, as I have long windedly pointed out, these travelers whatever you call them, will never accept whatever you throw at them or ever respect the law or you and as you said, the law don't do anything anyway. I wouldn't want the water nor would I want to fish there, stuff that. You will probably rally with something like why should they and how unfair it all is, welcome to the world bro. Why continuing bashing your heads against a brick wall? Get another water away from travelers gypsies I would never have a water near them. Just daft to even attempt it, inviting trouble. As to their illegal other activities, what can you do about that as well, just banging your head against a brick wall. Don't bother with it, forget it, nothing you can do. Have a stress free life....but you wont will you! I have learned my lessons with these people you should as well, and stop calling them scum, change your attitude to people even them, you might find a less stressful life. chill and love.

Last edited:

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Why do i feel you are being combative,I appreciate your answers,the water in question is very valuable to the club,rented,on a long lease,members being attracted from many,many miles distant,with very high quality fishing for many species,personally I can do nothing about their illegality,but our legal system should have some teeth against anything like this,thank you for your time and opinions...I'm certainly not a vigilante and have no wish to be involved in anything like that

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Why are you being combative,I appreciate your answer,the water is very valuable to the club,members being attracted from many,many miles distant,with very high quality fishing for many species,personally I can do nothing about their illegality,but our legal system should have some teeth against anything like this,thank you for you time and opinions....
I am not being combative, you asked and I told you honestly what I think, I can't do no more than that. Well, if the club and its members think it is worth it then carry on, but don't think your ever going to have a stress free water by the looks of it. I wouldn't bother myself personally, when something is really worth fighting for, I fight but I am not sure I would bother with this, its never going to go anywhere or be resolved. The legal system lacks teeth or sometimes just the will. that's the world as we know it, don't let it get you down. Tight lines...

John Aston

Reaction score
I judge people by their behaviour and not by their ethnicity or social group . Nobody denies that some travellers behave dreadfully -but (in my own direct experience ) some are decent folk who, because of the sort of sentiments being expressed on here, are the target of almost daily abuse.

Intolerance of the majority ? It's more than intolerance , believe it, when I read the sort of vicious bile spouted in threads like this. Tell me , when does the revulsion start ? When a gypsy kid is born ?

I am no apologist for criminal behaviour but I can't tolerate the sort of poison spouted on here either.

mikench

Reaction score
As do I. I consider the animosity towards travellers is reinforced when they rock up to a towns playing fields, break open the locked gate ,park their vans on the rugby pitches, empty chemical toilets on the pitches, leave their rubbish including dirty nappies strewn around and vandalise the changing rooms. This behaviour is from men not children. Further reinforcement of this view is when they park on a public car park, horizontally across 5 or 6 spaces, string out washing lines between lampposts , let rabid looking dogs roam unleashed and don’t even pay the fee for parking. It doesn’t help matters when the Traveller Liason officer at the local authority has no intention of making waves, issuing tickets or applying for an injunction as they will move on soon. The police are no better. The decent local inhabitants who pay their taxes, insure their cars, pay for parking, don’t litter and create health hazards, are then subject to intimidation and abuse.
If you or I did any of this we would be arrested , charged and heavily fined. They get away with antisocial behaviour which is effectively condoned by omission.
To decry this abhorrent behaviour is not spouting poison but telling the truth.