John Ledger Memorial Trophy

F

Fred Bonney

I guess we're fishing with the river flowing left to right?/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

When it flows that is!

Beecy

Reaction score
yes, L-R

I fished it last saturday and yesterday and its been flowing alright !, i dont know what theyve been playing at down at the conrolgates, but if they pull it off any harder theyll be no water left in the river

No pleasing some people, i'll moan when theres no flow, and moan when there is

stikflote

Reaction score
helo Bryan,
can you pm where the location of where john ledger match is ,i hoping to come with steve but hes got some juggling to do first thanks

keith

Beecy

Reaction score
ok chaps, I'm working away for the rest of the week so wont be back on, just to confirm everythings sorted

Ive reserved 15 pegs so weve enough in case anyone wants in last minute, and i can leave out a couple of the less comfy/restricted ones if we dont fill them all

its going to cost 2.50 per peg so thats £37.50 total. We'll make it £10 a man, take out the money for the river and pay the rest out to either 1st & 2nd, or just the winner, depends how many turn up to put in the pot. Pike will not count, unless i get one.

Pub is expecting us for breakfast from 8.00, we'll fish 10-3.00.

For the few of you who havnt been before, a bit about tackle & bait...

river is about 20-30 yards wide, avarage depth off the rod end is 4-5 foot going down to 8-10 foot in the middle. Flow can vary from stood still to ripping through, depends on the control gates a bit further down that let the river into the trent. A typical day can see it changing all day.

tactics are generaly stick down the middle and waggler down the far side can work if the flow is not too strong. Pole is also worth a go, and (if the conditions are as bad as last time ! )the straight lead/small feeder can be a useful back up.

bait wise, unless we drop really lucky and its fishing its head off, a pint of bronze is usualy ample, optimists might want to take 2 pts !

caster can sometimessort the better stamp out but i dont usualy bother, im more confident on the maggot. Ive had a few tries at balling it on the pole, results havnt been too good but its an option if its hard

In all buta fewof the pegs, which will probably get left out anyway, the banks are good, no need for waders you can fish from your seat, best to have wellies though.

thats about it, see you Saturday, Dave.

edit..

PS i dont have any scales, please can someone bring a set

S

Sean Meeghan

I've got a set of Avons which reside permenantly in my rucksack. Does the method feeder work and will I need some light line (I've got some 10lb line somwhere so I can load it on a reel if necessary).

Me and Mark are booked in the pub forSaturday night so far.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sean, I'm going to see how I feel after the match and the meal and maybe stop over if they have a room free.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Myself and Graham are booked in to spend the Saturday night in the pub.

I will not be fishing as no-one wants to help me carry my tackle. So I will probably bring my lure rod and a few swimbaits and spinner baits and have a few casts well away from you chaps.

Look forward to seeing you all.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Many thanks Fred for your kind offer and thoughts.

But quite honestly I will be happier trying to catch a pike on some new lures I have. I certainly don't fancy sitting in one spot for 5 hours. Seriously it's not good for my joints.

With my lure gear, I can nip off to the pub at a moments notice if I want to.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'll stand up for the length of the match and then my knees won't sieze up, or if they do it'll be easier for somebody to slide me along the ice when the match is over/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Glad I know I'm staying over now, I can have the odd drink with my winnings/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

S

Sean Meeghan

And a nice dropof snow melt to make life interesting!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good luck guys I'll be thinking of you all and J.L too.

Please don't let Granville win AGAIN!!! Don't listen to his hard luck stories, he's still raking it in from his DVD sales!!! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

And try not to get hammered this time Sean! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

The pic will follow shortly............../forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

By the looks of the weather Steve, it will be the person who gets a bite who will pick up the cup!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I think the winner will get about 4lbs of small roach - and maybe a huge dace.

S

Sean Meeghan

Are you talking about my liking for a good real ale or the fact that I blanked last year Steve?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
You blanked Sean?.......Bu**er! I chucked my gudgeon back in cos I thought I saw you nab a roach from the next peg!

Yep the liking for real ale Sean and the photo of you asleep on my shoulder.......hehehehe /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Seriously I hope you all have a great time, gutted we can't be there!