Lower itchen fishery - fm fish’in 2014

aebitim

Reaction score
After greetings and Kelly arriving set up a waggler to avoid tangles and hid under the arch to avoid the rain and drank tea, tried again and Kelly caught a trout, set up an avon and started running it through and Mick B arrived and gave us the gen and a decent chat but he went quickly after netting my 4.5 ish bream, bacon and egg sarnies and more tea, then smashed by a barbel and suddenly it was time to go home. There was a chub in there somewhere also. Really good day, many thanks to Jerry for getting the maggots and organising, Mick for the gen, Peter for instigating and everybody else for making a pair of duffers welcome and being tactfull enough to let us get on with it.

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
If everybody is going to post their catches for all to see then what's going to be left for me to write about ?

Don't complain, that's saved you the task ! I wasn't going to post but send you a brief summary*, but seeing as everyone else has posted then I will chuck in my tuppeny worth....

* NB.The use of the word "brief" is not necessarily accurate..... :wh

Windy left early....

Dishonourable libelist !

For once I arrived (nearly) on time and didn't leave til start of dusk....

Anyway, on with the summary.

I would have been a bit earlier but hadn't been able to get my hands on any bait during the previous few days, as working unexpectedly late, so my day started with a visit to the fantastic facility that is the Apollo Angling shop at Marsh Farm in Milford. That wasted a further fifteen minutes perusing the serried ranks of beautiful tackle with my tongue hanging out and investing in some brilliant Gamakatsu hooks (free plug - fantastic beasties) which certainly did the biz during the day.

Made it through the gateway at about 9.15 after driving through the most awful cats and dogs downpour on the Motorway. Thankfully it turned out that this had already been over / was coming from the fishery and the rest of the day was grey but with only occasional spots of light rain. Two years in a row with reasonably decent weather ? Have the Gods forgiven me at last :eek: ????

Said hello to Aebitim and the young lady expertly fishing the weir flow, and then made my way up to the very top end of the fishery, just short of the white warning boards before the trout syndicate fly only beats after a friendly tip off by the Bailiff, top man that :thumbs:. Also with memories of the reported success of Windmill Maidment up there this time last trip...

I then spent a very profitable two hours fishing from the top down into the reverse current in the left hand bend under the trees. The way the main current came through, hit the bank and then split both up and downstream makes for a very handy deep cut channel and slack next to the bank just there. Looking down into the almost gin clear water you can see the tiny little fry facing downstream into the upstream current !

This session gave me a new PB for grayling twice, early on a 1 lb'er which chuffed me to bits, amongst a nice fun run of more normal half to three-quarter pounders, followed by a gorgeous 1 3/4 lber :D. Lovely fish but with a cormorant mark on the flank.

Hooked him about two feet away from my right foot almost under the bank in the reverse flow. Although he put his big sail up in the current it didn't help him, as the reverse current carried him upstream towards me and my waiting net ;). If he'd gone sideways into the main current then I am pretty sure he'd have been gone and away, particularly given my (lack of) proficiency with my recently acquired centrepin. But he didn't and my luck and hook held. A nerve racking five minutes, heart thumping away and the flush of relief once in the net.

That killed the swim and it was by now mid-day. While I generally like and prefer to fish on my own the knowledge that there was a (mildly) damp legion of friendly FM'ers downstream (and the very welcome social element to these fish-ins)) led me to move. So I made my way back down into the clutches of Barbelboi, Skippy, the Ginger tickler and others....

Then spent a most enjoyable afternoon trickling down the nearside of the long straight run above the fishing hut, immediately above BBoi (feeding his swim for him.... and they say us Welsh are mean :eek:) and into a consistent series of welcome grayling, most in the half pound to three quarter pound mark, plus two of a better stamp of a pound or so. Lovely fish that would have been my new PB if not for my luck earlier !

The only irritation was that as I had forgotten my bait waist waiter I had to put my maggot box on the ground beside me. And managed to stick my damned foot in it not once, not twice, but three times :eek:mg:. More damned bait escaping into the marginal reeds than in the river :mad:.

Never had the luck to hook a tourist traveller, or any proper spotties myself (apart from an over optimistic three inch fingerling).

By 3.30 it was time for me to pack up, light dimming, back killing me after all that standing up all day, dodgy knee complaining as well, and - the deciding factor - a lot more heavy weed started coming downriver. There had been weed coming down all day, but now it really started to get a bit heavier and whole bushels of the stuff at a time.

And so to car and home to a nice warm bath and to reflect on my best ever day ever on LIF :w.

From Grayling virgin to a PB day when I lost count of the fish caught in five (or is it six ?) years. Thank you FM and thank you BBoi and all those who have organised these fish-ins over the years.

Much and deeply appreciated.

Sooooo..... anyone else up for a second helping in January or Feb next year when the weed has really properly been swept away :D ?

Last edited:

Rog Hill

Reaction score
First of all a big thanks to Jerry for organising the day and Peter for arranging the booking. This must be our 5th Fishing Magic fish-in on the Itchen and we still look forward to the next one.

Our day started off with a full English at the M27 services which allowed us to get to the fishery with plenty of time to meet up for a chat before heading off to find a swim. Stood in the car park rapidly getting our waterproofs on we met the other 12 or so weather forecasters. Amazing how many different forecasts we had and how optimistic they all were. As always its great to meet up with old friends and to put faces to names on new ones.

The fishing was excellent throughout the day with spells of a bite a chuck. Lost count of the number of grayling but between us must have been well over 40, with a welcome absence of small ones . Most were over a pound with the best just under the 2 lb. The trout were also having it up to a respectable 6 lb with just one chub at around 4 lb.

As has been the case on most of these fish-ins, after getting the gear together, picking up the bait, paying for the breakfast, the nipper tucks me up by catching the best fish. Even managing the only roach on his last trot.

A great day, in good company, and just a little rain!

Rog & Jimmy

barbelboi

Reaction score
The only irritation was that as I had forgotten my bait waist waiter I had to put my maggot box on the ground beside me. And managed to stick my damned foot in it not once, not twice, but three times :eek:mg:. More damned bait escaping into the marginal reeds than in the river :mad:.

:D ?

Having witnessed that from a little downstream I'm left wondering if it's the Welsh version of the Scottish sword dance...............;).

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Arrived at 7.30 to find my B-in-law Kev the only other present, next time I'll do the M27 breakfast stop. Chav was next to arrive, another "big-up" for the socks and flip flops :). Graham Elliot had a large supply of spare floats and on this occasion managed to keep them to himself! By the time we set off up the track everyone (except Windy, obviously) had arrived. Started well with a couple of smallish Grayling around half a pound then got plagued by small parr and brownies, to add insult to injury Jerry arrived to fish upstream, his gillnetts taking all the good fish that should have been mine :wh Finally hooked into something worthwhile, (a sea trout I think) only to lose it under the rod tip when the hook length gave. Simon insisted on photographing a Salmon Parr as he was under orders from S-Kippy to get lots of pics, hopefully it won't come out:eek:mg:
You can all have a knock at Windy but it's a brave bloke who drives up the track to the top beats in a car with dodgy track rod ends, especially with a rising river.
Afternoon session went better, finished up with eleven ladies, two that must have been over a pound, a brownie over two pounds and a lot more parr. Kev had five Grayling up to a 1lb 4oz PB, a 4lb Brownie and more small fry.

Windy came down from the upper reaches a very happy chap following his PB, I saw him dancing on the bankside at one point, I think his only disappointment was failing to catch his resident brownie from the deep pool on the bend.

Packed up at three and wished farewell to those downstream, I now know why S-Kippy can't cope with double handles, he needs a brolly and seat box to fish a river:D

Once again thanks to Jerry for organising, Mick B for updates and not forgetting the LIF who allow us the privilege of fishing this wonderful river. Great to see some old faces and meet some (to me) new ones. If only it was closer to home.

Ian

neil1970

Reaction score
Still thinking about the day, as it was that enjoyable.:)

In the morning Simon kindly put me in a decent swim that almost immediately produced two 1lb grayling (the first I've caught) plus about 25 minnows.

A family of swans decided to have an hour long party 10 feet away which killed the action.

After lunch I went upstream past the bridge and tried a few pegs, where a further 12 grayling (upto 1.5lbs) were caught along with 3 parr.

Also had a chat with Mick B, who had plenty of advice to give out.

Thanks Jerry for organising it & once again: good to meet everyone.:thumbs:

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm still thinking about the day because it was that WET !

Right....a few things need straightening out.

Clarkey did me like a kipper as usual...first with his "Its only a 5 minute walk" . 5 minutes my hairy ar$e ! It may be 5 minutes to Clarkey's eel hole but it was a bloody sight longer to any half decent looking swim when you're carrying half a ton of gear in the pouring rain ! I am older than him as he never fails to remind me...though I am not and never will be GINGER !

Ian...I had the seat box to sit on [its not hard,even you should be able to work that one out] and the brolly was up to keep the monsoon off the seat and [much more importantly] my FAGS. Priorities,mate. You might also have noticed that my reel had two handles though it was a pin and not one of them Stradic things in pearlescent cat spunk that you seem to favour.

I was getting the odd fish until some Ginger Haired Noddy dressed like a Special Forces Sniper walked by on the far bank which killed it for half an hour. Said Noddy then produced a chub which I reckon he had staked out on Saturday and claimed to have caught. That pi$$ed Big Phil off royally because at that point all he'd had was a couple of grrrrrrayling and lost about 27 hooks in a dying reed bed slap in the middle of his trot.

I stuck at my swim all day....every time I thought of moving I had another fish or it started bloody raining again. I ended up with around 2 dozen grayling with the best maybe 1-10 and 3-4 others around 1-6 or so. Add to that a few micro grayling a sea trout and a couple of those "spotted roach" that Jerry is so fond of. Not as good a return as last time when I had the Maggot Dispenser above me but I was happy enough...if a bit WET ! I tried to feed heavily a la Maidment but I just can't do it. Too much fishing canals when I was younger.

You might recall I lost a lot of fish last time.That niggled me for like EVER so yesterday I tried that trick of Welchy's with a couple of inches of No 6 pole elastic just above the hook link. Worked a treat...only lost one fish and that was a spotted roach. Every grayling stayed on so that's one to remember.As is the smell of Christian's cheespaste which really is quite the most awesome stuff.

Good to see everybody.Really enjoyed the day [despite the wet] and I'm up for a repeat anytime though I shall have to practice my curtsey's. Thanks to Jezza for organising it.

Oh..nearly forgot the Big Man. Phil had one of his very infrequent mares. He is a mustard river angler but it just didn't happen for him yesterday. He had maybe a dozen grayling but he had to work really hard for them...a fish here and a fish there. He was difficult on the drtive back to say the least.

Nice to fish a river again but I am SO not match fit on running water!

Skippy

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
First fish of the day, small but beautiful

windy-albums-windy-s-amusing-musings-picture3950-small-but-beautiful.jpg

And a pound and three quarters of new PB. Not good on focus but the old hands were still shaking a bit...

windy-albums-windy-s-amusing-musings-picture3951-pb-161114.jpg

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Skippy you still Dripping Wet ????.

Now if you hadn't had that walk with me and Big Phil, you wouldn't have ended up in that swim that i pointed out to you. Happy to help at any time, But Bollox to carrying your gear for you. The England Team don't take as much gear as you when they are fishing the world finals :D:D:D.

I didn't mean to wake you up when i walked past on the opposite bank, you almost feel out from under your brolly. To be honest when i first saw you sitting there, Cap on, Fag hanging out, I thought it was Andy Capp ;).

With all the rain, it might do the river a bit of good with a flush out of all the weed.

Well done to Windy for getting his PB Grayling.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Yes,mate...I am still drying out as is my gear which is strewn all over the house much to Mrs S's disgust.

I must say the old stealth gear worked a treat. Its a bit disconcerting when a small bush on the far bank asks how I'm doing. You still haven't seen me catch anything have you.,come to think of it I've never seen you catch anything either....wait a minute !

What is it with you lot ? I took a box to sit on in case the grass was wet....how forward thinking was that then ? What is the big deal ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
And for those not there - this is how the river looked on the day...

PS As I rarely fish before 10am (and the rain didn't stop 'til around 9.45) I thought I'd do something to pass the time after finishing my second mug of Earl Grey and politely refusing scratchings from the Peaky Blinders - i.e. trying to work out how my new digi worked after the old one had it's 19th nervous breakdown....;)

PPS Cheers Clarkey for pointing out the on/off button...:D

ichen2014g2_zpsedb5494a.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
What is with this "the rain stopped " nonsense ? I dont remember that bit.

Incidentally...in the background of that photo you can see the CARS of the LIGHTWEIGHTS who drove to their swims....in stark contrast to the PROPER ANGLERS who walked !

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Should have gone further upstream - quite balmy, never had another shower until later when Windy joined us................:D

PS What cars - that's the overflow to the airport parking....................

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
What is with this "the rain stopped " nonsense ? I dont remember that bit.

Incidentally...in the background of that photo you can see the CARS of the LIGHTWEIGHTS who drove to their swims....in stark contrast to the PROPER ANGLERS who walked !

Skippy,

You would only know that it stopped raining if you got out from under your Brolly, which you didn't :D

After I had stealthily walked past you, I set up on the bend, and was sitting there without a coat. The sun even showed itself for a few minutes.

By the way mate, that box ? I don't take a suitcase that big when i go on holiday for a month. No wonder you had to stop every two minutes when we were walking to the swims. You need a Barrow, with a bloody great big V8 engine. :D:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
If this photo ever made the Caption Competition.

"Maidment bait delivery convoy finally arrives at the LIF. Police re-open M27 "

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Skippy,

You would only know that it stopped raining if you got out from under your Brolly, which you didn't :D

After I had stealthily walked past you, I set up on the bend, and was sitting there without a coat. The sun even showed itself for a few minutes.

By the way mate, that box ? I don't take a suitcase that big when i go on holiday for a month. No wonder you had to stop every two minutes when we were walking to the swims. You need a Barrow, with a bloody great big V8 engine. :D:D

Bloody Hell ! The Talking Bush walks past when I've just sat down to have a cuppa and instantly assumes that I spent all day under my brolly. I did not !
For your information...the box had very little in it and it is far more comfortable to sit on than a rucksack.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If this photo ever made the Caption Competition.

"Maidment bait delivery convoy finally arrives at the LIF. Police re-open M27 "

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Bloody Hell ! The Talking Bush walks past when I've just sat down to have a cuppa and instantly assumes that I spent all day under my brolly. I did not !
For your information...the box had very little in it and it is far more comfortable to sit on than a rucksack.

Hahaha, I hate sitting on them rucksacks, the pockets always stick up your backside. I was being a Willow Tree not a bush, and I refuse to pay silly money for camo gear that looks F**K all like any trees or bushes ;)