New barbel section!

D

DANIEL SMITH

has enyone ever fished the upper trent past burton joyce for barbel ?
and have you had look with fish over 10 lbs?

Derek Lewis 5

Reaction score
hi,i dont normally post to much on here mainly because i just fish for barbel,so i welcome this new section.i mainly fish the hampshire avon and dorset stour,anyone else on here fish these two rivers.regards derek.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
And fishes them very well....!

I believe Big Rik also frequents the Stour, lucky buggers....!

Derek Lewis 5

Reaction score
hi guys,sent mr wintle an email message about two weeks ago and havnt heard nothing from him.concidering it was a tip for hiding the hooklength i was a bit surprised not to get a reply back,also said that i liked his articles.perhaps hes to busy.cheers derek.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No Baz, you're wrong. It's less than a handful of people using the new barbel section who just can't resist using the forum to spit poison at each other and f*** everybody else who wants to have a sensible debate.

I've got personal emails flying in as we speak, asking me to delete this posting and that posting, and one or two who are asking me to delete the inane stuff are amongst those who are posting it!

If everyone would just give the section a chance (and believe it or not there is more good stuff on it than personal crap) then we might get somewhere a bit faster.

We have an odd one or two who are proud of being able to post pollution - using hit and run tactics - all through the forum, not just on any particular section, with the aim of causing trouble. If they could use some common sense that would help too. But there again, they're the first ones to complain.

How can making a new forum section cause splits? Unless there are those who want it to.

I repeat, if anyone doesn't like barbel, KEEP OFF THE BARBEL SECTION! If you don't like carp, KEEP OFF THE CARP SECTION! Leave them to those who do like those species.

It really is as simple as that.

J

jason fisher

i see its doing its job went into what looked like it might be a sensible thread in the barbel section complete load of bollox back biting and sniping, woohoo i dont have to listen to the tosseres anymore ill just completely ignore that section, well done graham.

C

Chris Pearson

Graham,
My response to Baz was as always with Baz, very much tongue in cheek.I'm absolutely convinced that Baz was also playing devils advocate (as usual) to elicit a response.
I hope I'm not included in that group,I agree it worked perfectly well until someone came back off his holiday and decided to start having a go again,but apparently he's allowed to get away with it(still at it on his latest response re.perch) and none of us are allowed an opportunity to respond without being labelled as troublemakers.
If you're saying cut out the banter and get back to serious debate then fine but there's other places where that's going on,to me, the whole beauty of FM is the wide diversity of humour and satire,yes sometimes it gets a little out of hand but for the vast majority I would think that's a risk worth taking,if it's not then I'll bow out gracefully and let him free rein which what he want's, un-fettered acclaim with no descenting voices.

B

BLAM

I'm not sure if its just me but I lose the plot with these threads once people start making tangential (usually sniping) comments. I often wonder whether or not they know each other IRL and thus think it might be some sort of "in" joke but it's almost impossible to tell. Since the threads invariably deteriorate into a slanging match shortly thereafter there has oftimes seemed little point in continuing.

Contrast this with a similar thread on BFW today (which can have its own set of problems) where Tony Miles actually came on-line to argue his case and no one started slinging mud.

I for one was really pleased to see the new Barbel section here as I had thought about requesting the very same thing from Graham. Please let it live or die on its own merits and not just become an excuse to sledge the B.S. or Bob Roberts or who/whomever.

There are those of us that haven't fished for Barbel since the 1890s and thus aren't yet bored of them and who would like to discuss barbel specific tactics, baits, venues and whatever.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No Graham I was right.
I said that it would be used for other means than to discuss barbel topics. Meaning peoples own personal agendas and it has been.
You have admitted as much in the first paragraph of your own posting.

C

Chris Pearson

Blam,
I don't understand your argument,are you saying that the odd bit of banter is preventing you from making any sort of positive contribution,if you were to start something "specific" in terms of tactics,bait etc I'm sure you would elicit a response but you haven't so why complain?
If you'e happy on BFW then I'm happy for you,I don't share that view since recent developments but respect your right to it.Still pop in every day though!!!

B

Bully

But personal agenda's are all part of the debate are they not? It would be very sad if we kept any forum on FM just down to pure fact. Indeed if we did it would become very boring, and WoL wouldn't have anything to say!!

The barbel in keepnets thread has thrown up a far more interesting thread about hadling barbel, and whether there should be a "code of conduct" that, among others Steve Pope of the BS has said he would welcome views and input on. True, there are some heated views, but so what?

Life is 99% opinion, 1% fact.

B

BLAM

What I mean is very few threads in overall terms (less than 20 thus far) some of which are 4 pages long like this one where the topic under original discussion got lost after page 1 or 2.

I'm not concerned about the "odd bit of banter" from Ron, Baz or whomever but it never stays at that level. It deteriorates into abuse just because its safe to sit behind a keyboard.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blam.
Before you get carried away with your thoughts.
I have not entered into banter on the barbel in keepnets thread.
The only thing I did say was that the barbel section would get abused and it has been.