One rod or two rods for barbel

Goldfish

Reaction score
Hi all and hope your season is going well. I've fished for barbel for the last twenty five years or so on the River Ribble. For people who aren't familiar with it I guess it could be compared to the Severn or Wye is terms of size. It's quite a large river. For all of 25 years I've only used one rod for barbel. Many of times I've thought of using two rods. Everywhere I look online I see tripods with two rods on themi. I've thought about the pros and cons many times. It just feels like the cons outweigh the pros.
1.You've got two lines in the water. First of all if you get a barbel on one rod it could cross over the other line taking a rod out and a tangled mess.
2. Two barbel on at the same time could find a barbel that you're not playing in a snag before you've landed the other one. 3. In floods branches and all sorts of floating items coming down the river could take a rod out before you've got time to reel the other one in.
4. Having to take twice as many leads/feeders with you adds plenty of weight to your luggage not to mention losing twice as many in snags.
5. Your concentration is divided between two rods rather than focusing entirely on just one.
The only pro I can think of using two rods is if you're a bit of a lazy fisherman (nothing wrong with this. It's nice to chill out and enjoy the day) you could cast out both rods and just wait for a barbel to take one. This way it would improve a chance of a pick up I guess.
I'm not having a go at people who use two rods as I want to use two rods myself simply because I own two and want to use both. I just want an avid two rod user to really convince me that there is a distinct advantage in using two rods and they have evidence that they've caught more barbel using two rods than one.
Mickb

Goldfish

Reaction score
Ha ha you could be right. I just want to hear some kind of advantage of using 2 rods. To say I've over thought it is an understatement. Few years ago and went on a couple of guiding days with a successful barbel angler. He used 2 rods. But on both occasions I didn't see the slightest advantage of using 2 rods. I'm not saying it's not right I just want someone to convince me that using 2 rods is a big advantage over using one.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I haven't fished the Ribble for a few years now, but I generally do put 2 rods out; the stretch that we used to fish (Boot farm), you are looking to cast a feeder towards the far bank with meat or pellet on a hair, so typically use a 1.75 or 2 lb rod, but I would also look to put a maggot feeder in a more central area and downstream on a more conventional quiver tip, not specifically targetting Barbel, although I have caught them on this set up. I do now possess a second dedicated Barbel rod, but haven't yet used it!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The most blindingly obvious advantage of fishing two rods is that you instantly double your chances of actually getting a bite. However, there are certainly downsides to using two rods. You really need to do whatever is right for you and the circumstances. Unless you try using two rods, you'll never really know whether the potential downsides are as significant as you imagine.

There are things you can do to mitigate the problems you might have using two rods. If the potential for a double hook up is significant, then a sensible solution is to reduce to a single rod, even if just temporarily. The use of multiple rods can be a blessing in some circumstances and a curse in others. Just because you have two rods it doesn't mean you have to use both every time you go to the river. The most sensible way forward is to make a judgment call in every scenario you find yourself in. Despite the potential downsides, I have no qualms about fishing two rods when barbelling on some of the bigger rivers. However, when circumstances dictate, I'm equally happy to fish a single rod.

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
If you anticipate a high chance of two fish at the same time then stick to one rod. On small rivers like the Dearne where you are fishing specifically for one fish then stick to one rod. On a bigger river where you might catch 3 or 4 a session then two rods might be worthwhile. But you take the risks that you mention. Bait runners set correctly and the butts secured in a gripper rest would be a good idea.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
As Sam(Chris) says the use of two rods increases your chances of catching a barbel, I would imagine having two lines in the water would lower it from doubling your chances though, the biggest advantage I can think of is putting a bait lower down your imaginary baited line in the river,for me two rods gets a definite no, but many mates fish two....

chevin4

Reaction score
If I fish a small river with tight swims two rods is asking for trouble. However when I fish a large weir on the Lea I will fish two rods rods both baits will be away from each other

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't see it as a matter of stat's - ie do you get more bites. I see it as a matter of what type of fishing interests and entertains you. One rod lets you fish actively, as in floatfishing, rolling or trundling baits, free-lining, touch legering, stalking, drifting baits into nooks and crannies and under trees; even feeder fishing with hemp and caster, or hemp and cubed meat, say, to be done properly imo needs one rod. Plus holding the rod tunes you in to what you're doing, lets you notice line bites or bite preliminaries, tells you what's happening as your rig moves or sticks, and lets you fish close to fish-holding snags because you're geared to hit bites and get the fish under control from the get go. I see plenty of anglers, on the same rivers I fish, sitting back in their chairs, two rods pointing to the sky, waiting for the tip to jag down. Some even use bite alarms. It's not called carbelling for nothing, and it's not the way I'd want to fish ( no offence to those who do) as it just lacks involvement, so I can't help with your quest for good reasons to do it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As Sam(Chris) says the use of two rods increases your chances of catching a barbel, I would imagine having two lines in the water would lower it from doubling your chances though, the biggest advantage I can think of is putting a bait lower down your imaginary baited line in the river,for me two rods gets a definite no, but many mates fish two....

It's probably true that two rods don't allow for a perfect doubling of your chances. However, how much it does increase your chances will depend on the venue, stocking density, and how the rods are fished. On a very prolific big river, where the fish aren't exactly spooky, it won't be significantly less than doubling your chances

In the past (I don't leger for barbel, or anything else, at all these days), I've fished totally different parts of the river with two rods. Where possible, I may even fish one rods slightly upstream with a quiver fitted and look for drop backs. Spreading where the rods are actually fishing as much as possible also helps minimize the impact of two lines in the water and the potential for tangles.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I usually fish one rod when after barbel, that encourages me to concentrate on what is happening with that one line and bait.

When the river is barely flowing and the barbel reluctant to feed I will often stick out a bigger bait on a heavier rod. I cast that as far downstream as possible and try to keep the line well clear of my barbel outfit. I say to myself that is for the carp, truth is that if the carp are feeding they could take on either rod (or both!)

Like Sam I sometimes find a bait fished well upstream works well, that's often the 2nd rod when the fishing is slow. That bait will be nailed down with a heavy weight and a bolt rig, self-hooking set-up, fished well clear of the main rod I am concentrating on fishing delicately.

All too often I regret the 2nd rod tactic! When I feel I am not fishing even one rod effectively the 2nd gets packed away.

Most of the time the spare rod stays in the car, just in case!

IMG_20221223_132637.jpg

The lighter, downstream outfit was put away that day. The flow was increasing to a torrent but the fish were upstream of my pitch and I needed 4ozs+ to hold.

John Aston

Reaction score
Big river two rods ,small river just one. And a pair of those very risque sounding Korum Butt screws are helpful , I've found .

stevejay

Reaction score
I normally use 2 rods, unless a river is in flood and that limits the space. Have had a few double hook ups on the Severn, using baitrunners. It's a bit hairy but have always managed to net both fish. Similarly, when playing a fish you need to take care not to cross the other line. Fishing them apart or one closer in ,helps. Obviously fishing locked up near snags means one rod is more appropriate.

I agree it depends on bites.....if you are fishing a short or roaming session, a single rod is best, but when you want to maximise your chances of a bite then 2 rods gives you a better chance.

Richard Bartlett

Reaction score
Whilst I often fish two rods for barbel, this is generally on a larger river & allows me to place baits in different areas. Of course, the use of two rods also allows the use of different baits and may allow you to determine what they're keen on a little sooner than otherwise. There are potential downsides to two rods, particularly on low & clear rivers. I've seen barbel get spooked by lines so having two in the water may cause more fish to be spooked & hence be counterproductive.
Alarms? I very often use them, in conjunction with baitrunners, primarily to allow me to keep watching the water for signs of fish & not be glued to the rod tips & missing any signs. I stress however, that I always sit on the rods so that they can be picked up within a split second of the alarm!
Tripods - very useful tools when used correctly - particularly on big powerful rivers such as the Trent where it can be advantageous to keep as much line off the water as possible.
However it pains me greatly to see them adopted de rigeur - without thought, without reason, without need. I've seen them used on Yorkshire's R Nidd - a small & very intimate, pretty river, mostly shallow-ish and rarely more than 30' wide - there really is absolutely no need to have 2 rods pointing at the sky!
All that said, I'm going barbelling tomorrow - with one rod! Admittedly that's primarily because I anticipate a lot of walking, my hips are packing up, and I want to minimise how much gear I'm lugging along!

@Clive

Reaction score
Whilst I often fish two rods for barbel, this is generally on a larger river & allows me to place baits in different areas. Of course, the use of two rods also allows the use of different baits and may allow you to determine what they're keen on a little sooner than otherwise. There are potential downsides to two rods, particularly on low & clear rivers. I've seen barbel get spooked by lines so having two in the water may cause more fish to be spooked & hence be counterproductive.
Alarms? I very often use them, in conjunction with baitrunners, primarily to allow me to keep watching the water for signs of fish & not be glued to the rod tips & missing any signs. I stress however, that I always sit on the rods so that they can be picked up within a split second of the alarm!
Tripods - very useful tools when used correctly - particularly on big powerful rivers such as the Trent where it can be advantageous to keep as much line off the water as possible.
However it pains me greatly to see them adopted de rigeur - without thought, without reason, without need. I've seen them used on Yorkshire's R Nidd - a small & very intimate, pretty river, mostly shallow-ish and rarely more than 30' wide - there really is absolutely no need to have 2 rods pointing at the sky!
All that said, I'm going barbelling tomorrow - with one rod! Admittedly that's primarily because I anticipate a lot of walking, my hips are packing up, and I want to minimise how much gear I'm lugging along!
You've hit the nail on the head. It is fashion, like carp anglers have three identical rod and reel outfits. In France where I live all the carp anglers set up the same. Four rods, all with their lines stretched out half way across the lake, unhooking cradle, spod rod and huge landing net propped up vertical like flag poles and a couple of hundred € worth of baits on show. It is their identity.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I’m not trotting a float after Barbel then I am nearly always touch legering for Barbel; even if I’m using a Quivertip I still tend to have a finger resting on my line; so using more than one rod is completely out of the question; for me anyway.
I would rather spend 100% of my attention on just one rod cast in the right place, rather than spend 50% of my time on each of two rods cast in different places.

Keith

Last edited:

Badgerale

Reaction score
While i don't often get the chance to barbel fish, I have moved from a two rod approach to one rod.

My usual fishing mate only ever does one rod and really there isn't much difference in our success, on average. While it seems logical that throwing a 'sleeper' rod out down the margins should give me the odd extra fish, in practice i'm not sure if it's true. I find that even if i intend to forget about that rod i never actually do, and divert my attention between two areas - my feeding and watching for bites is more slapdash than it should be.

The other issue is that with one rod i'm more likely to move if i feel the swim choice is wrong, with two rods and bite alarms et al, it's more of an upheaval.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
You've hit the nail on the head. It is fashion, like carp anglers have three identical rod and reel outfits. In France where I live all the carp anglers set up the same. Four rods, all with their lines stretched out half way across the lake, unhooking cradle, spod rod and huge landing net propped up vertical like flag poles and a couple of hundred € worth of baits on show. It is their identity.
:LOL: I get a perverse satisfaction when I see these guys all set up for the week. With my single rod (a proper FISHING rod, you know - one that actually bends!) a backpack and landing net, I walk maybe 100 metres past their camp. Then I catch a few barbel and, often enough, a carp.

After a few hours of that I go home, satisfied, for my lunch. The carp anglers bite alarms have remained silent!

Just the need to set up an encampment to fish is detrimental to their chances of catching. First there is the disturbance setting everything up, then the anglers reluctance to explore any further than that one swim.

Some of these "carp anglers" are greedy in their use of the river. Often they use a dinghy to place their baits vast distances from their fishing position. They use anchored floats to hold their baits often 200 metres upstream and downstream, often another "washing line" clipped to a tree on the opposite bank.

I actually pulled in one of these lines that had been clipped across in front of the landing stage I intended to fish. The carp angler could not be seen but his anchored floats were upstream and he had two "washing lines" out, the one running downstream past me and another across the 140 metre wide river. This in a section of river with boat traffic, one paddle boarder ran into the cross river line whilst I was there.

That carp angler appeared from his bivvy after I had pulled the downstream washing line across the mooring cleat in front of me. At first he was angry with me but I pointed out, in my poor french, his technique was "interdit" during daytime.

Of course, these "carp fishermen" are the true sportsmen, therefore their rights to fish allow them to hog acres of water. Their floats and "washing lines" acting as boundary markers.

Selfish B's I call them, makes me quite tetchy!;)

Anyway, when they go home I will have the river to myself again. Holiday season in France just now, the fish will be hiding until next month! :cautious: