Press Manor Fly Fish-in (10th May 2008)

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
G

Geoff Cowen

Put me down for the pub as well Rod. Any tip on flies, methods etc and do I need waders?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Wading is verboten. A good pair of walking boots is all you need.

By the time we are fishing, there should be plenty of buzzers around. There might even be some hawthorn flies.

S

Shrek

Ron,

I'll have to pull out of the Fish-In this year as I'm scheduled to go salmon fishing on the Wye.

Adrian

Jon Warrener

Reaction score
Hi Ron - don't know if you missed my previous post - is it still possible to put my name down for the fish-in?

If it is, I'll go for the pub lunch too please.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Pub lunch for me too Ron.

And can you do an up to date list of those attending with an indication of those who are going for the pub lunch.

Thanks.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I'll do that on Friday which will be the last day for booking.

S

Sean Meeghan

I visited Press Manor yesterday and after spending a few minutes talking to the scarecrow (could've sworn it was Ron!) I had a pleasant morning's fishing, catching 6 trout and losing a biggie of about 6lb when the hook pulled /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Here's a few tips:

If the weather stays mild and its a dull day, fish high in the water. Most of my fish were taken off the top or by using "Klink and Dink"

Best flies on the day where small dark super glue buzzers and dark Shipman's buzzers.

When the sun came out there was a noticeable decrease in surface activity and you had to fish deeper

Don't neglect the margins -I took one fish less than a metre from the bank.

Klink and dink is a technique where you use a dry fly with a small nymph suspended under it. This is better than using a strike indicator as you ofter catch on the 'indicator' fly. I actually used a bomber rather than a klinkhammer and it was this that the 6lber took.

Boobies and ethafoam flies are banned.

I had no fish on lures, they were all caught on the buzzers or the indicator fly, fished static or allowed to drift slowly around in the light breeze.

If you want any more info feel free to PM me

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And dead budgies do not work!

Barney?

And no sight bobs with egg flies!

S

Sean Meeghan

Don't worry Gary a pike bung works well as a sight bob, takes all the skill out of casting and is self hooking!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Our day is going to be different from last year.

After getting together in the caravan for tea, coffee and chat, we shall be out on the lake fishing. Both myself and the more experienced fly fishers shall be available for tuition.

I shall start the little competition at 3 pm finishing at 5-00 pm. The winner shall be the first angler to catch and release 6 trout, or catch the most trout in the time allowed.

S

Sean Meeghan

Wish I could be there Ron. I'm travelling back up from Cornwall on the day. If I get back in time I might come for a walk round.