Press Manor Fly Fish-in (10th May 2008)

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

We seem to be sorted out.

The day will be as follows:

8.45 to 9.00 am meet at the fishery in the caravan for coffee and tea.

Then go fishing - I will be available for tuition.

12-45 pm assemple at 3 Horseshoes for pub lunch

3.00 pm, start of fly fishing competition.

Please remember that this is not a serious competition, it is in memory of a great fly fisher and fly tier. It is more improtant that we remember him, not worry about who wins.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Dont worry ron i am not worried /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

As you say ron this is more a day to introduce fly fishing to a wider group of people that have never really tried it before.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Absolutely spot on Bryan, and if anyone thinks it's a needle match between Granville and Barney, they can think again!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I was thinking of coming up...........just for the needle match!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Barney tells me that he always looks forward to this day. The evening before, he makes a point of eating out at the best curry house in the area, so that his methane producer can be on top form.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I don't think Grenville notices anymore.......past experiences have rendered his nasal system dead!

Trebor

Reaction score
Ron,

Bloomin heck!

Judging from the other guys messages, it sounds like we are all booking for the pub lunch.

If its not too late please include me also. If it is too late, then serves me right for not looking at this thread for the last few weeks.

Apologies,

Trebor

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm in despair. Barney's not coming tomorrow, he's gone bream fishing again with Wol.

Wol told me that he's had to coax him down south to the easy bream waters as he wouldn't be able to cope with me giving him a good hammering tomorrow.

Mind you, when I metBarney yesterday to pick up the trophy he said, "don't worry, you can smack my arse at Clattercote next week."

Sometimes you just don't know exactly what he means....

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Wol and Barney breaming again................

It's easy to see why arse and smacking came to his mind. /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

M

MarkTheSpark

Phew, what a scorcha (copright Rupert Murdoch). Well done Bryan for giving us a sound thrashing. I lost a few fish, as you probably heard when, after the fifth time, I gave a lesson in Anglo-Saxon to half of Chesterfield.

Thanks, Ron, for doing the organising.

K

Kevin Perkins

Well done Bryan, a well deserved win on a difficult day. NIce to be able to put a few more faces to FM 'names' (perhaps we should do do name badges for all the Fish-Ins, certainly helps at Clattercote) and I'll just echo Marks thanks to Ron for the organisation

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Yet another excellent day I would like to echo Maek and Kevin in thanking Ron for organising the event.

The trophy is back in it spititual home again,

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

"Spititual?"

/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

G

Geoff Cowen

Thanks for a good laugh lad, just what I needed!

Oh and well done Bryan.

C

Cakey

perhaps he chews tobacco....................../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Your right cakey. Makes a good spitune./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ok i was a little tired when i got home. To much sun.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
well ,i had another great day as usual ,didn't catch owt but it was just as much fun not catching (not that i'd be catchng many anyways) .the fish was a bit finicky and i suffered a few poor takes (either that or they was just yanking my chain) , fish could be seen patrolling in the margins but they just ignored my feeble attempts at catching them
(they just gave me a cursory look that simply sad "Loser")

Heres me trying to write my name mid air with the fly line .
100_0243.jpg

The usual Fm crew and some new faces turned out for the annual fish in
(memorial match:morning practise ,afternoon match ) ,& things took a more leisurely pace after lunch (slap up meal at local Carvery [dame fine food as well] )

100_0248.jpg

but with the hot sun and low cloud cover most fish had retreated to the centre of the res and deeper waters ,so we sent the fish spotters was out in force

100_0249.jpg

( hey guys ,I can see the pub from here ! )

I did manage one perfect cast ,gently placing my black hawthorn fly on the surface , moments later the water erupted with the head of a huge rainbow (ok about 2lbs)
burst forth its mouth engulfing my little biddy fly .And i in my total amazement & shock (that id actually got it right for once) I enthusiastically yanked that fly free ,thereby grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory ! .
yahoo_loser.gif

insane.gif

It was a great day in great company .well done bryan