Rare floats I would like to own.....

George387

Reaction score
the natural alternative too give a longish tapering down and thick top would be porcupine quills ,but the taper might not be so delicate .but they would be stronger than balsa ,but shorter than peacock .i'll look later as i've a bunch of over sized porcupine quill 8/9" long ,tucked away someware in a draw.

Steve,
This is the sort of thing you are looking at with porcupine quills, these are all just around the 7" in length mark and basically the tips have been filed round and measure 5mm at the top tapering down to needle points, the average weight for them is 4bb.
I do have longer but not had the requirement to go any longer.

porcs.jpg

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Porcupine is too heavy in itself for the type of waggler fishing described. I've always done OK with straight lengths (non tapered) of peacock quill with a simple cane peg to take the adapter - can't remember what sort of adapters I use as I have quite an assortment, if I see any good ones I buy them. It's a lovely style of fishing especially suited to parts of the Thames.

matt1960

Reaction score
Yes, I think a straight quill is a compromise. Just wont quite have the characteristics of reverse taper.
And has been said porcupine will be too heavy, and will not give the delicate presentation required.
But I wonder if two materials could be used, like a porcupine base for 4" and peacock top for the rest. This might give the float a bit more strength.
We are a fussy bunch us fisherman, but when we are talking Roach fishing, sometimes it has to be spot on to work.
Matt

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I agree Matt, anything that helps me hit a roach bite is worth the effort. I KNOW I had them feeding the other day, but all I caught was the odd scale:mad: Jeez, they can be fast!

One of the things about genuine peacock quill is its very light weight, this must mean that provided its bouyancy has been compensated by sufficient shot it will move very easilly and quickly as it has so little mass. It therefore requires little inertia to make it move..sort of the very opposite of a perch bobber.

How am I doing on the laws of physics, Mark?

I'd be tempted to try one of Drennans 'non' crystal wagglers, such as a 'merge peacock' and sand the body to imitate that taper. I know it's not an economical answer, but I can confirm that the plastic used is solid and very, very light...he's practically re-invented peacock quill with it!

It might be worth doing one this way to see if it responds in the same way as the original float?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
As we have some floatmakers on here, my last survivng 12" reverse waggler is broken about an inch from the connector, not in 2 pieces but broken. Could I apply a coat of varnish over the break , would it strengthen it?

matt1960

Reaction score
Peter,

This happened to a couple of mine and I ended up cutting at the bent part and fitting the peg an inch further up. Did not make too much difference.

I wonder if mr Drennan reads this. No, second thoughts, I doubt if he even has a computer.

Matt

A

alan whittington

Unlikely to make a difference Matt,most anglers these days dont know why they use certain patterns,made of different materials,all that matters to Drennan International is to get enough floats from China to supply demand,the floats are made to a pretty high quality for factory made's to be honest.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
As we have some floatmakers on here, my last survivng 12" reverse waggler is broken about an inch from the connector, not in 2 pieces but broken. Could I apply a coat of varnish over the break , would it strengthen it?

i'd superglue it back too gether then smear a thin coat around that area ,then apply a sliver of tissue onto the glued area ,just enough the go around once with a mm or clearance above /below the crack line ,the tissue (thin toilet paper) will bond with the glue to form a hard skin covering the area ,once the glue is dried off , that can be painted if required

if its a snapped off bit ,find a fine wire dressmaking tack pin ,cut the head off (maybe trim too suitable size) .push it into the centre of both soft pithes with a drop of super glue on each end and push together being carfull too align both parts for near invisible repair ,then do as above .nice solid repair easily hiden under a coat of paint.

if done right then only a neglidgable difference in capacity will be noticed if at all ,used these methods many a time too rescue old peacock or quill stemed floats .

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
goose quill floats fished bottom end only would be similar to reversed peacock I'd of thought, though for the life of me I cannot see the benifit of such a float. just use a strait peacock float with the appropiate thickness to drag bottom...or am I missing something?

matt1960

Reaction score
I think yes,
Straights work ok, but not quite the length for the amount of shot, and not quite the delicacy.
Goose, again is not delicate enough. Their quills are very robust, but along with this comes less bouyancy for their size.
A long and thin peacock keeps the line well under the surface skim, but the tip still has the dragging ability, but with real finesse.
Matt

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
I don't think reverse quills would be very versatile, not much good for throwing across the Thames or similar river if they break. if they are only to be used close in then the pole is a better option; which may be why they went out of production.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You are right there Arffur, but sometimes on the Thames you have a towpath behind you as I did on the Thames champs and the pole is a pain shipping back with cyclists etc. If I wanted to imitate the effect, only in reverse, I would use a flat float fished overdepth on the pole.

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
another way of replicating the effect with a strait waggler is to take small shot from the line and under shot the float by anything up to an inch, whilst dragging a number six shot on the river bed. as the float progresses it drags down to almost the verry tip only to spring up again. have fished tares and casters like this many times and when the bite comes it's usually unmissable, and catches a better stamp of fish also.

A

alan whittington

To be honest Arffer most pole floats arent very versatile,years ago top match anglers would fish a match,think they needed a different float for the job and go away and make it(then practice with it and maybe correct it),the pole is a great method,but without doubt has taken a lot of skill and knowledge from canal and river fishing,just go down a match on the G.Union.The floats Peter mentions i believe he said were up to 2 swan,so its possible to fish way beyond pole range,or try to control your gear on one of those howling downstreamers that break them,there's a place for all,and as a pleasure angler(now)i would enjoy catching roach more on a wag and rod,even if it caught less,but often if you know what your doing it doesnt.

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
a lot of truth in what you say Allen, the demise of float fishing echoes the death of match fishing in my area (Bedford) inter club matches that once drew 70 comtetitors now attract about 10

the Bedford Hospital Cup once a 500 pegger now reduced to 85, I can remember fishing the Welland Championship when it was an 800 pegger, not even shure if they fish it any more.

A

alan whittington

Arffer,i live in Luton(just down the road),probably fished in matches at a similar time(used to fish with Vauxhall and then Blackhorse),and your right.Ive got nothing against pole fishing,i have two......or three,i can only get enjoyment catching big fish on them,cant be asked to catch 2-4oz roach on them,i'd rather build a weight on rod and line,if i was matchfishing.....now i would rather catch nothing than fish of that size,by big fish i mean per species ie 12oz+ roach,2lb chub etc,what clubs are you in locally?

Last edited:

Arffer Roach

Reaction score
yes, I fished the luton club matches for a couple of seasons, loved every minute of it. also the chiltern winter league for bedford angling centre, happy days:)

I know what you mean about playing fish on the pole, I swapped mine for a beach caster (that I still havent ued) I prefer going for big fish now but still have the odd day float fishing, would love to find somewhere locally to catch a 2lb roach on the float.

A

alan whittington

I would have PM'd you but you arent enabled,a water that will be producing 2's in the next couple of years already has odduns,but fish 1lb plus are relatively common place(when they go)and although i dont fish there now a mate caught fish to 1.75lb last week,im off out now,cos im going to get hammered on another thread,ha,ha.

George387

Reaction score
well as promised and after a few days of delay due to my hands shaking with the medication Im currently on I managed to built what I can gather from everyone's feedback 2 reversed peacock wagglers? I dont know if they are correct but am sure the roach anglers amongst us will set me straight.
reversed%20peacocks.jpg

They are 3mm at the bottom leading up to 5mm at the top. I dont like painting float bodies but do recognise the need to camouflage them so one is stained in deep mahogony and the other antique pine. As yet still to be lacquered.

I will never use them so if anyone would like them for their roach fishing when they are lacquered & complete drop me a PM.