Rare floats I would like to own.....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Those look spot on George. Slightly thicker than the originals which I have but I am sure the extra buoyancy would make them very effective.
Are you going to add them to your range?

George387

Reaction score
That's nice indeed, George did you use up all those peacocks I sent you?????

Hi Paul, I never did get those ones you sent mate, I thought I had emailled you to let you know, if I never then my apologies :(

Peter No Im not going to add them to my range it was just something I wanted to attempt as I dont get a lot of call for peacock wagglers its mainly river floats for the lads up here that takes my time up. And it was a friend in Cumbria who just dropped a few complete peacock quills off as he found them at a rescue centre.

Offer still stands for anyone who wants them, just drop me a PM.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
If you get no other takers for them I will have them . I think Matt 1960 wanted some. Ed gave me 9 of them last weekend so I am ok for now.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
George I'm mortified they didn't get to a good home!! OK I'll have a look when I'm next in Lincs and there should be a fine harvest for anyone who wants a go - I've made as many floats as I'll use....

George387

Reaction score
I thought I had emailled you & told you paul, my apologies, I have got a dozen or so full fan tails from cumbria and these will last me for ever as not a lot of call from the lads up here they all want trotting floats, which I can sympathize with as I have a soft spot for trotters. Peter if nobody else drops me a Pm by the weekend you are more than welcome to them my friend. :)

peter crabtree

Reaction score
well as promised and after a few days of delay due to my hands shaking with the medication Im currently on I managed to built what I can gather from everyone's feedback 2 reversed peacock wagglers? I dont know if they are correct but am sure the roach anglers amongst us will set me straight.
reversed%20peacocks.jpg

They are 3mm at the bottom leading up to 5mm at the top. I dont like painting float bodies but do recognise the need to camouflage them so one is stained in deep mahogony and the other antique pine. As yet still to be lacquered.

I will never use them so if anyone would like them for their roach fishing when they are lacquered & complete drop me a PM.

Just recieved these 2 beauties in the post from George. They are truly superb examples. Slightly thicker than the drennan originals but hopefully a little stronger for it. I will try them out this weekend on the thames .
Many thanks George ....

George387

Reaction score
Your more than welcome Simon am glad that they arrived with you ok. Please do let me know how they fish I always enjoy hearing results from the floats I make, pictures are good also :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It would be nice to hear just how these floats are to be fished-shotting pattern,depth of water,flowing or still etc etc and for what species..

For the life of me I still cannot see why these floats have to be so long(12")and if they will actually stand up to constant casting.....

What I am NOT saying is that they don't work....its just that I(and I'm happy to admit it!)don't get the 'reversed' bit......that said I now have a supply of quills and I shall make some this weekend to try next week depending on what responses I get to this post!

...always willing to learn!!

ps I note PC intends using them on the Thames...

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Thanks Nick , very tempting I could order the whole range ....
I have just taken rough measurements of my only surviving 12" reverse peacock and at the base it is 3mm and the tip is 4mm, and it is injured as in broken.
My notice of these floats dates back a few years when son of meldrew came a very close 2nd in the Marlow rose bowl trophy match at Marlow on Thames.
In wintery conditions , downstream wind, and a footpath behind him ruling out the pole he opted for this method. His shotting pattern was, apart from the 2 locking shot , made up of strung out doubled up no8 shot with a couple of no10 droppers, some 28 no 8s neatly set in a parabolic pattern around 8ft depth, single maggot dragging bottom . All his fish were prime Thames redfins...
Peg 1 won it with a very close weight on the pole with breadpunch .

something I wrote earlier TeeCee. Local as well.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Apologies PC...should've checked back...BUT WHY 12" long??

..just seems excessive but if it works then why not...

reminder to me...Must spend more time walking the Marlow stretch-incognito............the green hat is a givaway..

matt1960

Reaction score
Apologies PC...should've checked back...BUT WHY 12" long??

..just seems excessive but if it works then why not...

reminder to me...Must spend more time walking the Marlow stretch-incognito............the green hat is a givaway..

The floats are so slim, that in order to get up to reasonable shotting weight, the only way to do this with such a slim float is to increase its length.
I think, from memory, the lighter shotted versions may only be 8" or so.

Perhaps, having the line sunk 12" below the surface, might help with presentation too, as the surface water/wind might have less effect on the line.

Matt

peter crabtree

Reaction score
anyone know Peter Drennan? He must have designed it for a reason, I think Matt is quite right about the line being lower in the water aiding presentation, also sometimes on the Thames, or similar river you may have to cast out a fair chuck to reach the drop off and need the extra weight.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Sounds good to me....its not that I hadn't thought about it,I just wanted the opinion of those who have used this float before..

Mine are under construction and should be in the water next week!

Thanks to all for responding!