River Idle

The Sogster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in finding out who if anyone has the fishing rights on the river Idle at Newington, Misson , Misterton and Lounds.
I would be most grateful if anybody can give up to date information.

Thanks in advance
Soggy

flightliner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in finding out who if anyone has the fishing rights on the river Idle at Newington, Misson , Misterton and Lounds.

Thanks in advance
Soggy
Will ask my "lives local" mate Soggy, will get back!

steve w

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Soggy
Soggy,the Idle at Lound upstream of Chainbridge Lane,and a mile downstream is Derbyshire Angling club.Below that it’s Scunthorpe a.a.
I‘m the bailiff for Scunthorpe on that stretch,and it’s lightly fished,you’ll probably have the river to yourself.Some cracking fish in there,but not prolific,every fish is hard earned,but worth it.
The Scunthorpe book is incredible value,has some great stretches of the Trent on its book.
We had Misterton but gave it up as the landowner got a bit awkward.The Haxey Gate pub have just stopped selling day tickets for that stretch,and I believe no fishing is allowed there at the moment.
Not sure about Misson,haven’t fished it for a few years,last time I did it was free.
If you need to know more about the Scunthorpe stretch at Lound I’m happy to help.I’m also a member of Derbyshire ac,but not the bailiff there.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Thanks Steve,

I know the Bircotes AC stretch, primarily I'd like to fish around the Bailey Bridge in Misson, but I understand that is not possible anymore.

Shame about Haxey Gate, I used to like that stretch.

Thanks also Flightliner, I'll probably give it a try at Newington although the 'mushroom' farm absolutely pen and inks.

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks Steve,

I know the Bircotes AC stretch, primarily I'd like to fish around the Bailey Bridge in Misson, but I understand that is not possible anymore.

Shame about Haxey Gate, I used to like that stretch.

Thanks also Flightliner, I'll probably give it a try at Newington although the 'mushroom' farm absolutely pen and inks.
Awful isnt it, it's called "Tunnel tech"
Re Misson, years ago there was a lane in the village that ran down to the river.
I used to fish there at times, why not check it out?

The Sogster

Reaction score
Yes Flightliner, I remember River Lane in the village having fished it before. It was the start of many a dog walkers journey. Not for nothing did we call it 'dog shit alley'.
Once fished just over the fence, didn't realise it was some chaps garden and the fishing started the other side down towards the bailey bridge.

Used to fish behind tunnel tech in 2000 when the foot and mouth hit. Don't know what kinds of mushrooms they farm but we regularly witnessed truck loads of dead cattle and massive bonfires at the time.

flightliner

Reaction score
Yes Flightliner, I remember River Lane in the village having fished it before. It was the start of many a dog walkers journey. Not for nothing did we call it 'dog shit alley'.
Once fished just over the fence, didn't realise it was some chaps garden and the fishing started the other side down towards the bailey bridge.

Used to fish behind tunnel tech in 2000 when the foot and mouth hit. Don't know what kinds of mushrooms they farm but we regularly witnessed truck loads of dead cattle and massive bonfires at the time.
Always had a soft spot for the idle.
I've had some good fish from it in recant years, chub and Barbel mainly but twenty years ago I was taking some super bags of big roach until the comorants saw them off, heartbreaking to see it happen!!

steve w

Reaction score
Since Polybell Farms have been around,most of the lanes down to the Idle have been gated off and locked,I’ve heard of anglers being locked in after driving through an open gate.As a schoolboy (nearly 60 years ago ?)I biked down many of them to get to my favourite spots,even through the farm yard down Gringley Carr.Now you are not allowed anywhere.I’ve heard that they are telling anglers that they can’t fish at the pumping station at Gringley now.
As flightliner says,the roach fishing was great years ago,back in the 70’s we had quality fish on stick float and wheat.I had my first 2lb.roach at Newington back then(only had one more since then?).

flightliner

Reaction score
Since Polybell Farms have been around,most of the lanes down to the Idle have been gated off and locked,I’ve heard of anglers being locked in after driving through an open gate.As a schoolboy (nearly 60 years ago ?)I biked down many of them to get to my favourite spots,even through the farm yard down Gringley Carr.Now you are not allowed anywhere.I’ve heard that they are telling anglers that they can’t fish at the pumping station at Gringley now.
As flightliner says,the roach fishing was great years ago,back in the 70’s we had quality fish on stick float and wheat.I had my first 2lb.roach at Newington back then(only had one more since then?).
Steve, I think the biggest regret in my angling life was not fishing the idle when I was younger.
Back then for me it was all about fishing in fenland, the Witham, Welland, Nene and the many drains like the middle level, south forty foot drain.
Many by travelling on a coach or train and so often going past the Idle that was considered to be one of the best rivers for big roach and lots of them in the midlands.
I've tried to make up for the lost opportunity and over twenty years ago now I joined a small club that had a small stretch of it in their control.
It was about that time when I had what could possibly have been the last period when big roach could still be found with a bit of effort.
I never did get a "two"from it but a 1—13 best but accompanied by many over 1—8 and all on trotted flake.
As you said earlier most fish today are hard won, a far cry from what it was once capable of.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Steve you are correct about the pumping station at Gringley, whilst having a mooch about the other day we were told the road is no longer open to the public.

I remember the good head of large roach and had some great days on the Idle fishing for them never had a two though. I've also had some big perch from there to 3lb 10z and my pb pike of 27lb no doubt feeding on those roach.

steve w

Reaction score
Songster,My grandson will be gutted if we can’t fish at the pumping station,I’ve a spot there I’ve been fishing for years,even took his mother there when she was his age.I only fish it two or three times a season,it‘s a long walk and loads of nettles,but the pike are always there.
I’ve resisted over fishing it,and it’s paid off.
His best fish was 23lb. the same fish that my ex partner had out at 16lb.a few years back.Quite a thin fish,with a huge head.
Your 27lb’er is a fantastic fish from the Idle.
Flightliner,I was lucky enough to live just a short walk to the river in 1968/9. in a wooden farm worker’s bungalow down Everton Carr.
So most evenings I was fishing,I didn’t have that much skill back then(or now),but enjoyed the time catching the roach and chub.
We have to accept the river for what it is now.I’ll be spending my evenings at Lound after the barbel and chub.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Steve, I'm only quoting what we were told. My friend is the driver and after being told this he wouldn't go any further despite my protestations that it is a public right of way.

I hope for you and your grandson that it is still accessible it would be a shame to lose the hereditary tradition.
I'd like to think that it could continue for your great grandkids at least.

Thanks for your kind words re my pb.

flightliner

Reaction score
Songster,My grandson will be gutted if we can’t fish at the pumping station,I’ve a spot there I’ve been fishing for years,even took his mother there when she was his age.I only fish it two or three times a season,it‘s a long walk and loads of nettles,but the pike are always there.
I’ve resisted over fishing it,and it’s paid off.
His best fish was 23lb. the same fish that my ex partner had out at 16lb.a few years back.Quite a thin fish,with a huge head.
Your 27lb’er is a fantastic fish from the Idle.
Flightliner,I was lucky enough to live just a short walk to the river in 1968/9. in a wooden farm worker’s bungalow down Everton Carr.
So most evenings I was fishing,I didn’t have that much skill back then(or now),but enjoyed the time catching the roach and chub.
We have to accept the river for what it is now.I’ll be spending my evenings at Lound after the barbel and chub.
Steve, is the track downstream of chainbridge lane suitable to drive down. It's been years and years since I was down that way when Mattersey was on my radar!

The Sogster

Reaction score
I had a day on an old haunt thanks to Steve W and Flightliner who put me straight on the current club rights for the local river Idle.

Went with my mate to Newington thankfully the wind was in the right direction to negate the stink from the mushroom farm.
It's been around 16 years since I last fished this venue and have fond memories.

View attachment 15999
The river was a little higher than usual summer levels, but at least they were not pumping it off at the Trent end meaning a nice steady flow.
Although I'd forgotten about the massive weed rafts which often come down like some resurgent Atlantis.
There was also a horrendous amount of blanket weed which I don't recall from before. Must be a byproduct of agricultural run off. ?

Baits for today were maggots, bread and corn with liquidised bread and micro pellets as feed. I would have liked some of Lakhayman's ant eggs to try.
Started out on the feeder but the amount of weed coming down made life difficult with it constantly hanging up and pulling the feeder out of position.

I then set up my 14' ultralight and decided to fish a straight 5bb peacock waggler set at around 14" to target the fish in the upper layers this resulted in a few 1oz to 3oz roach and dace with frequent changes of depth. But the bites remained infrequent and the weed a constant problem hindering presentation and bite registration with the weed on the line behind the float acting like an enormous back stop.

Continued with the waggler biteless and a bit dismayed while I considered my options, thought about stret pegging the near bank. When I had a sudden very positive bite on the waggler. Hoorah, feels like a good fish, damn it's a bloody eel about 1.25lb.
This killed the swim for the next hour or so, couldn't buy a bite no matter what I tried.

Had a cup of tea and a smoke, while thinking what to do and noticed a clear spot in the weed a couple of rod lengths down the margin.
Not happy with the day so far I thought sod it nowt to lose so I picked up the feeder rod again clipped on a large cage feeder and deposited about a pint liquidised bread and pellets with plenty of corn in the clear patch.
I gave this 10 minutes before putting in a maggot and corn cocktail with more liqqy in the feeder.
Ten minutes later, bang the tip went round and a few moments later this beauty was in the net.
View attachment 16000

Fished for a couple more hours without reward.
Quite enjoyed the day in the end, will probably go again to make some new memories.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Following on from the original question about the river Idle. My daughter and grandchildren have recently moved to Ordsall near Retford. Does anyone know who if anyone controls the fishing on that stretch of the Idle. One of my grandsons told me he has seen an angler fishing there. I would like, if possible to take him fishing there if I am allowed.

flightliner

Reaction score
Downstream of the roadbridge is controlled by the Ranmoor angling club of Sheffield, both the lake and the river idle from said roadbribge to the railway bridge.
Upstream I'm not sure if any club has control of it so it may be down to you asking around.