River Itchen Grayling day

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Claudia, it looks as though you'll have to have a "fishing card" (as opposed to a Dance Card) so all your little helpers will know when it's their turn.

Form an orderly queue please Gents!

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Graham,
Would be great if you can make it to the Itchen, sadly we didn't get to meet at GV

Neil,
lol....guess you right there, it's nice to know there are so many gentlemen around to help a damsel in distress lol.....and it's good to learn from different prospectives.

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Thanks Peter looking forward to watching and using a pin.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Hi Jeff

Had a look at a centre pin reel today in my local tackle shop....he is selling them off,as they don't seem to sell here very well....anyway it's a okuma, he wants ?60 for it but reckons he could go down to ?50 if I really want it.

What do you reckon to the price (never looked at a centre pin before)

P

paul williams 2

I may not be able to fish..............

I may be to damp watching Lucky fish a pin!!! hahahaha........trouble is everytime he gets in a mess he'll pull out a 2lb lady!!

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Hi Claudia
Don't know about that reel, but Neil M showed me his Okuma sheffield and it looked and felt like a really good real. But I have not used a pin yet, I'm hoping to change that at the Itchen.

Fingers crossed Paul and I always aim to amuse.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I haven't used one yet neither.....would love to give it a try though, as you said it looked and felt good. I can imagine they are good reels for trotting, that is if you know what you doing....in my case....NO CHANCE lol

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've been using the Okuma Sheffield for quite a while now (yesterday was superb with some good Chub on it) and I think it is an excellent centrepin.

They retail at around ?120 and I think that model is the top of the Okuma 3 reel centrepin range. The others are well engineered and look as though they'll do the job.

There are those amongst us who will only use their "Ariels", "Allcocks" or hand built super dupers which retail at around ?1,000,000,000 each but each to their own.

And then of course theres's always the "how to load line onto a centrepin" discussion. Keep it quiet, but Peter J. has it "cack-handed" and all wrong!

I was brung up proper with a centrepin and can only manage to fish it one way and believe me, I can still get in tangles that Jeff can only dream about.

Jeff and Claudia, you're both cordially invited to "have a go" with mine. I'll bring my camcorder along just in case.

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Thanks Neil your a gent.
If it anything like the birds nest around my reel at Gold Valley it will be worth filming, ask Woody.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I am one step ahead Bro, I will be using Nigels spare pin on Sunday. I don't want to look stupid at the Itchen! Well "er"!

Cheers Nigel ;-)

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

I never been shy about looking stupid, life's far to short to worry about that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Keep it quiet, but Peter J. has it "cack-handed" and all wrong!"

Cheeky beggar!

Being left handed I am often the 'only one in step' Neil.

That does make it a little difficult though for anyone who is 'opposite-handed' to use my rod with a 'pin on it.

That said, I am pretty much ambidextrous, not only that but I can use both hands as well, so on the Itchen I'll probably have a rod or two set-up with an Abu 506 for anyone who wants to give that a try.

Jeff, what hand do you hold the rod with, left or right? I'll probably need to load a 'pin the "wrong" way around for you ;-)

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

"That said, I am pretty much ambidextrous, not only that but I can use both hands as well, so on the Itchen I'll probably have a rod or two set-up with an Abu 506 for anyone who wants to give that a try"

Peter, repeat after me:

"I only need one rod when Grayling fishing"

;-)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Think that might fall on deaf ears Nigel, actually I have been wondering if its safe to go with Peter, he might just load me up like a donkey, hahaha!

I fear Peter's next house move will be to a mobile home, that way he can take that instead of shipping all those barrow loads up the bank, I can just see Peters mobile home trundling down the Hale with all those rod tips sticking out the windows like a hedgehog?