Rivert kennet Grayling Day 17th November 2007

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nice one Mike.Does that mean Swordsy can cadge a lift too?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It should be VERY interesting Nick, dunno if Mark W caught any Grayling last year /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Y

yoggy

Heyup Steve just realised you`re coming along mate.

Will be nice to meet you after all this time!!!!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Not sure about the bloke above you though!!!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've met him before Yoggy......Scared the Wotsits out of me /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Looking forward to it mate.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Bryan, your cheque has arrived safely.Thanks.

Come on Swordsy, cough up!!

Andy Navarro

Reaction score
Hi all

I have fished at Barton Court for donkeysyears so you might find some of the following useful.

Would agree that the larger Roach(2lb+)no longer seem to be present,but all is not lost as the Grayling seem to be on the increase after a few years on the missing list.Definitely worth taking a Pike rod as they frequently encountered if you get the dace/roach shoals on the feed.

Was there a couple of weeks ago.Had dace and trout in Parsons Ditch approx 100yds below the hut.Trotting the river between green bridge and watersmeet pool i had some nice perch om lobworm.Moving upstream to the small weirpool produced the odd dace and trout on maggot.No grayling were caught on the day but the last couple of hours before dusk saw two good roach come to the net.These came just above the weedrack by kintbury road bridge after i switched over to quivertipped flake.

B.C. is still a fantatic little fishery and i never tire of visiting it.Tight lines to all of you on the day

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
How big were the roach Andy?

I had a few good trout and monster dace from the fast water just as it flows under the road bridge 2 weeks ago. They took some getting in because the water was so fast.

Andy Navarro

Reaction score
Hi Michael

The biggest roach was 1lb6oz the other i didnt weigh but def pound plus.For what its worth my standard procedure at B.C. is to wander with a trotting rod and a pike rod during the day.As the light starts to fade i stash them in the car and sit it out on the quivertill dusk.Yeah i know the swim you mean and it can be quite tricky.One more thing there was a large shoal of dace in herons delight where it runs parallel to the river but they were not playing ball,worth bearing in mind mate.

Tightlines Andy

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I used to sit in the watersmeet peg and catch some stonking roach hauls, but now I just rove, with my pike rod in the car incase of sightings.

Where's herons delight?

Andy Navarro

Reaction score
Herons delight is the small carrier which starts at a tiny pool near the top boundary.It then flows more or less parallel with the river to another small pool.It then does a sharp right turn and flows into the old river just upstream of the green bridge.Watersmeet is a cracking swim,one of the few i would sit it out all day on,the roach used to hang out by the left hand arch as you look at it but as you say those days have gone

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Ahh I know. I caught some small roach out of the mouth of there, but didn't follow it down. You need a few days to explore properly.

A few years down the line it could be a top specimen dace water if the dace are left alone by man and beast. (pikers and cormorants)

Andy Navarro

Reaction score
Thats what ilike about B.C. there is so much water to explore.In fairness to Bob it is primarily a trout fishery so a little coarse fish removal is to be expected but i think he strikes a fair balance between the two.I dont know where you live but im local to the kennet so can choose to go when i judge conditions to be best.I also fish at Denford and that again is another cracking little fishery,but at the prices they charge visits are much fewer thanB.C.

Have also been lucky to have been invited to the "passion" fishery a couple of times,but its a case of who you know to get in there.Unfortunately i doubt if it will ever open up for winter coarse fishing.Mores the pity my two visits there were very sucessfull

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The Dace at BC go over the 1lb mark already.

As i have said i like to fish into dark, i am not one of those who think you can only catch big Roach at dusk, but at BC that seems to be the best way, when years ago you could get the biggies during the day.

Anyone had any of the big Perch?